Solved Skip to time in video with number keys - is this removed?
Hi guys

I sometimes use the number keys on my keyboard or remote control to skip to a certain point in a video. You know, you press the numbers to select the seconds/minutes/hours, press enter or OK, and the video skips to that point in time. But since a while pressing a number key doesn't do anything anymore. It doesn't even show up in the top left of the window. I tried this with two Windows machines running a nightly from this week.

Is this feature supposed to be removed in Krypton, or is it a bug?

(if it's the latter, I'll make a debug log.)

Thanks!
As far as I'm aware there haven't been any intentional changes for this, so what's described here should still work http://kodi.wiki/view/skip_steps#Time_skipping
You used to now its NO NO
i hope that answers your question
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
Seems I was wrong, it has indeed been removed in the process of some code cleanup, seems like the relevant dev might not have understood the full implications.
Ah, thanks for checking!

In the meanwhile I had made a debug log, but that shows just that Kodi does register the key, but doesn't take any action. (The next line in the log is just the next key press.)

Will or can it be returned? It is quite a useful feature (- at least it is to me).
Well if it was rem by mistake you could prob put it in yourself is some kind Team Kodi tells you where to put the code and what to put in.
unless we are talking about multiple file edits,
I have no clue myself do not use it i just use skip buttons serves my purpose
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
For the functionality to be put back for the benefit of everyone would require the code to be rewritten to fit with the cleanup that has occurred, since this is the case I'll move this thread across to Feature Requests.
For the benefit of any dev this was the removal PR https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/10706

Please no users comments on that PR, make any comments here.
(2016-10-24, 16:25)willemd Wrote: Will or can it be returned? It is quite a useful feature (- at least it is to me).

It's being worked on so should hopefully be restored, you can follow at https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/10769 but please do not comment there please since github is for developer code review only, once that PR shows as merged then it'll be included in the following nightly build.
Thanks for this!
Nice to have a little look into the devs' discussions. Wink
I would very much like to offer my support for this very change. I was about to add a feature request for direct entry of point-in-time when I saw this thread.

This has several very useful purposes for me - often I might want to go to a particular scene in a movie or show, and know the general point in time when that scene occurs. It's impractical to just use the >> feature and wait for more than just a few seconds. If, for example, I know the scene is approximately 90 minutes into a feature, it would be much simpler to be able to type in 1:30:00 or 90:00 to move the playback directly to that point.

Another use-case for this feature is when one is watching a particular feature within a group, and someone wants to see something from a scene just a few minutes past, it is often much simpler to note the current time and key in a point numerically a minute or two earlier rather than wait out the fast-forward or reverse buttons.

This was one of my favorite features of the first DVD players I owned many years ago, and since Kodi already supports a "resume" feature for a suspended replay, it occurred to me that only the UI to accept the keystrokes would likely be necessary.

Thanks for the forum and the opportunity to support this request.
The PR restoring the functionality has been merged and will be available in the nightly builds from tomorrow or once Beta 5 is released.
Something else to note, getting visual feedback provided by the skin requires a modification by the skins, so while operation should be back to how it was (I personally haven't tested yet) the showing of the entered numbers will depend on the skin being updated. The default skins have been updated however if you don't use these and you find you don't see the visual feedback of the entered numerical value, then point the author of your skin to http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2445179
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skip to time in video with number keys - is this removed?0