First Time Setup Basic Questions
I'm going to make this as short as I can while including what questions I have now. I have previously used Kodi (known as XBMC when I used it years ago). I'm familiar with how to get the media (downloading my own movies/shows/etc) labeling them and placing them on an external to then relay to my television via HDMI. However, my family room has no computer (I don't want to have to use the laptop everytime either). What I would like to do is get a standalone box. The first time I've ever heard of an "android box" was yesterday so please understand this is a foreign concept to me. I have looked through two pages of the "HOW TO" posts on the main page and a lot of it is over my head. Anyways.

What I want:

1. A stand alone media box (I would like to know your thoughts on the M8S) to stream movies and television shows to my family room.

2. I don't have a smart TV, so what exactly do I need.

3. I'm a bit confused, upon watching YouTube videos I see a lot of random links to "repositories" what exactly are these? Do they self update? Once a repository is added, is it there for good (unless deleted) as in, I don't have to add it each time I power the android box up?

4. I'm not sure if I am adding my OWN media of downloaded movies and shows (via an external HDD usb) or what... this kind of circles with the above repository question. For example, say I want to put on The Secret Life of Pets for the children (not out on DVD until December 6th, but I have it already) will some application within Kodi have this or do I need my external where the movie is stored.

5. I am seeing a ton of "applications" for Kodi. When I used it (XBMC) I just used it as a shell to create a pretty way of showing off my manually downloaded media (movies/television shows) but I had to tediously name hundreds if not thousands of media files/place them in very specific folders and in order etc etc. What are these "applications"

I know these are more than likely dumb questions to even an average Kodi user. I haven't used something like this for years so its foreign please respect that. Also, I have a TV, its not a smart TV, and I don't have access to a stand alone PC/laptop. I will be able to get wifi in that room. (I assume the android box requires wifi?).

I thank you in advance.
This is a great place to start. It answers questions 3-5. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=293112

1. Raspberry pi3 and Odroid C2 are great cheap devices.

2. You don't need a smart TV for Kodi. You just need a TV that accepts the output of the media center you build.

It is easy to get sucked into, This is great can't believe kodi gives me all this for free. If it is illegal to do kodi does not support it.
(2016-10-31, 14:14)huizingajm Wrote: This is a great place to start. It answers questions 3-5. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=293112

1. Raspberry pi3 and Odroid C2 are great cheap devices.

2. You don't need a smart TV for Kodi. You just need a TV that accepts the output of the media center you build.

It is easy to get sucked into, This is great can't believe kodi gives me all this for free. If it is illegal to do kodi does not support it.

I appreciate the reply, although the link you provided me a good link its extremely vague. I'm much rather looking for comments from the community and those that are much more experienced than a generic all inclusive FAQ if you get what I mean. I personally learn a great deal more from asking/answering/conversing about actual questions if you get what I mean. I understand the overview of an application, but again when searching YouTube for example the word "repository" is mentioned quite a bit and the link you provided only mentions banned repositories but nothing more.

Thanks none the less but really looking for direction from the community itself! Thanks for answering the question about the smart TV though Smile
@meddlingmage I am moving your thread to the hardware section of the forum. also going to suggest that you read the following thread as it will answer most of your questions :http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
(2016-10-31, 13:09)meddlingmage Wrote: I'm going to make this as short as I can while including what questions I have now. I have previously used Kodi (known as XBMC when I used it years ago). I'm familiar with how to get the media (downloading my own movies/shows/etc) labeling them and placing them on an external to then relay to my television via HDMI. However, my family room has no computer (I don't want to have to use the laptop everytime either). What I would like to do is get a standalone box. The first time I've ever heard of an "android box" was yesterday so please understand this is a foreign concept to me. I have looked through two pages of the "HOW TO" posts on the main page and a lot of it is over my head. Anyways.

What I want:

1. A stand alone media box (I would like to know your thoughts on the M8S) to stream movies and television shows to my family room.

2. I don't have a smart TV, so what exactly do I need.

3. I'm a bit confused, upon watching YouTube videos I see a lot of random links to "repositories" what exactly are these? Do they self update? Once a repository is added, is it there for good (unless deleted) as in, I don't have to add it each time I power the android box up?

4. I'm not sure if I am adding my OWN media of downloaded movies and shows (via an external HDD usb) or what... this kind of circles with the above repository question. For example, say I want to put on The Secret Life of Pets for the children (not out on DVD until December 6th, but I have it already) will some application within Kodi have this or do I need my external where the movie is stored.

5. I am seeing a ton of "applications" for Kodi. When I used it (XBMC) I just used it as a shell to create a pretty way of showing off my manually downloaded media (movies/television shows) but I had to tediously name hundreds if not thousands of media files/place them in very specific folders and in order etc etc. What are these "applications"

I know these are more than likely dumb questions to even an average Kodi user. I haven't used something like this for years so its foreign please respect that. Also, I have a TV, its not a smart TV, and I don't have access to a stand alone PC/laptop. I will be able to get wifi in that room. (I assume the android box requires wifi?).

I thank you in advance.

1. You don't state what you want out of a device, saying you want something that streams movies and TV Shows is too general.

2. As stated, you don't need a Smart TV.

3. Stop watching Youtube videos. Most show how to use Kodi with Banned add-ons (wiki) which you will receive no support for here.

4. Your not going to get help with piracy or piracy add-ons.

5. Most of which are probably Banned add-ons (wiki), and again, you will not get any help for those here.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
A few more links which may be useful background reading:

first time user (wiki)

About Kodi

The Kodi Wiki

All platforms FAQ (wiki)

To answer the specific question about repos though. As you've already discovered, Kodi itself is just a media player, initially designed for playing back locally stored media files. However it can be extended using add-ons for a lot of other functionality. Those add-ons can be downloaded and installed individually from zip files, but they can also be downloaded from repositories (repos). These can be thought of as collections or groups, where once the repo is installed you can pick and choose to add any add-on contained in the repo very simply by navigating within the add-on menu within Kodi (without having to manually download zip files or anything like that, downloading etc is all done automatically).

The advantage of the repo is also that if the author updates their add-on and uploads that update to their repo (or the official Kodi repo) then your device will automatically update its install to that new version (if you have automatic updates enabled and are internet-connected of course). An example of a repo is the official one which comes built into Kodi, but you can also download other 3rd party repos.

One point of note, as mentioned above by a few people, is that there are 3rd party repo's around which contain banned add-ons (wiki) for which we offer no support nor allow any discussion here. They are almost exclusively add-ons which make use of illegal pirated media sources and at best are unreliable and unstable, and at worst could lead you into all sorts of copyright violation legal issues (that is rare, but it has happened to users). This blog is a worthwhile read on the subject, but generally the application of a little common sense should see you good. Basically if an add-on is offering you TV shows, channels or movies for free that you would normally have to pay to receive, or are in some other way "too good to be true" (for example movies still in cinemas) then you can bet its' sources are not kosher, legal or legitimate.

As it is open source software, you are of course entitled to use Kodi exactly as you wish (including using it to view pirated media), but if so then do it in the full understanding of what you may be getting yourself into, and that it is your responsibility and basically we do not condone nor support it (the presence of any banned add-on (wiki) or repo on a Kodi installation automatically invalidates any support request made here, aside from helping to remove them).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-10-31, 15:36)DarrenHill Wrote: A few more links which may be useful background reading:

first time user (wiki)

About Kodi

The Kodi Wiki

All platforms FAQ (wiki)

To answer the specific question about repos though. As you've already discovered, Kodi itself is just a media player, initially designed for playing back locally stored media files. However it can be extended using add-ons for a lot of other functionality. Those add-ons can be downloaded and installed individually from zip files, but they can also be downloaded from repositories (repos). These can be thought of as collections or groups, where once the repo is installed you can pick and choose to add any add-on contained in the repo very simply by navigating within the add-on menu within Kodi (without having to manually download zip files or anything like that, downloading etc is all done automatically).

The advantage of the repo is also that if the author updates their add-on and uploads that update to their repo (or the official Kodi repo) then your device will automatically update its install to that new version (if you have automatic updates enabled and are internet-connected of course). An example of a repo is the official one which comes built into Kodi, but you can also download other 3rd party repos.

One point of note, as mentioned above by a few people, is that there are 3rd party repo's around which contain banned add-ons (wiki) for which we offer no support nor allow any discussion here. They are almost exclusively add-ons which make use of illegal pirated media sources and at best are unreliable and unstable, and at worst could lead you into all sorts of copyright violation legal issues (that is rare, but it has happened to users). This blog is a worthwhile read on the subject, but generally the application of a little common sense should see you good. Basically if an add-on is offering you TV shows, channels or movies for free that you would normally have to pay to receive, or are in some other way "too good to be true" (for example movies still in cinemas) then you can bet its' sources are not kosher, legal or legitimate.

As it is open source software, you are of course entitled to use Kodi exactly as you wish (including using it to view pirated media), but if so then do it in the full understanding of what you may be getting yourself into, and that it is your responsibility and basically we do not condone nor support it (the presence of any banned add-on (wiki) or repo on a Kodi installation automatically invalidates any support request made here, aside from helping to remove them).

Awesome great breakdown of the repositories, it seems almost like a database of media (of sorts) that others take care of and you can have it update automatically. So a quick search of best repositories etc populates overwhelming results for both "Exodus" as well as "Phoenix" are either of these legal or whats the deal? What can I expect to find on them. Up to date shows and movies or quite old stuff. Sorry, I'm at work and a lot of this stuff is behind a firewall.
No, both of those are on the banned add-ons (wiki) list (click the link <-- to see the list, although it's non exhaustive).

They both use pirated illegal sources, and are very much the kind of 3rd party add-on that we want absolutely nothing to do with here, and that are basically helping to kill off Kodi by dragging our reputation through the mud and getting is falsely associated with illegal activities and piracy.

Kodi is fundamentally NOT about getting media for free. Unfortunately many of these 3rd party hucksters (especially many of the YouTube morons) would like to mislead you about that so that they can con people into using their add-ons, thus opening them also up to who knows what security and/or malware risks (noting that add-ons in Kodi are not sandboxed, so they have as much access to your device and network as Kodi itself does - they are essentially self-contained python script apps in their own right).

I think I would strongly advise you to do more research at this point, especially on the difference between the Kodi core program itself and it's 3rd party add-ons, and also concerning the potential ramifications of accessing pirated media sources in your country or location. Some additional links for that are the wiki notes on free content (wiki), this blog and also this post.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-10-31, 16:17)meddlingmage Wrote: Awesome great breakdown of the repositories, it seems almost like a database of media (of sorts) that others take care of and you can have it update automatically. So a quick search of best repositories etc populates overwhelming results for both "Exodus" as well as "Phoenix" are either of these legal or whats the deal? What can I expect to find on them. Up to date shows and movies or quite old stuff. Sorry, I'm at work and a lot of this stuff is behind a firewall.

No, and you need to read the Banned add-ons (wiki). <<<This is the link!

As well as the other links above.

EDIT: And @DarrenHill beats me to it.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-10-31, 16:34)DarrenHill Wrote: No, both of those are on the banned add-ons (wiki) list (click the link <-- to see the list, although it's non exhaustive).

They both use pirated illegal sources, and are very much the kind of 3rd party add-on that we want absolutely nothing to do with here, and that are basically helping to kill off Kodi by dragging our reputation through the mud and getting is falsely associated with illegal activities and piracy.

Kodi is fundamentally NOT about getting media for free. Unfortunately many of these 3rd party hucksters (especially many of the YouTube morons) would like to mislead you about that so that they can con people into using their add-ons, thus opening them also up to who knows what security and/or malware risks (noting that add-ons in Kodi are not sandboxed, so they have as much access to your device and network as Kodi itself does - they are essentially self-contained python script apps in their own right).

I think I would strongly advise you to do more research at this point, especially on the difference between the Kodi core program itself and it's 3rd party add-ons, and also concerning the potential ramifications of accessing pirated media sources in your country or location. Some additional links for that are the wiki notes on free content (wiki), this blog and also this post.

Ah thanks for the clarification. If I may go a little off track since you clearly know the ins and outs. I would like to supply my own media via an HDD, simple as that. Is there an "approved" media top box for this that isn't AppleTV or a Firestick that you personally stand by?
Personally I use a Raspberry Pi3 for doing just that (although my media is on a NAS box connected to my home network) and that works fine. Indeed when I travel (I'm on almost perpetual business trips and seem to spend half my life in hotels) my media solution is a Raspberry Pi Zero, paired up with a WD MyPassport 4TB drive and the hotel TV and it does me just fine (playing DVD rips from the MP mainly, in mp4 format).

There are other more powerful (and in some cases more expensive) solutions like the Odroid C2 and the NVidia Shield, but it rather depends on what you actually want to watch. All my media is just SD DVD rips (plus the occasional stream from YouTube or BBC iPlayer) and the Pi does fine for me, but if you want something with a bit more muscle to play 4K stuff or that kind of thing then one of those other two may be an alternative option. There are sticky'd threads in this section discussing this kind of thing though, so have a look through them and see what fits your needs best.

Note that Team Kodi do not approve or officially recommend any specific device, the above is from my personal experience and what I know from what others have posted here. Look around this section a bit and you should get a good grounding for different options.

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First Time Setup Basic Questions0