• 6(current)
Win HDR Support Window 10
(2017-05-19, 20:22)cyber201 Wrote: Maybe it's possible to create a script into Kodi that when a .mkv files with tag HDR is played, turn automatically HDR on or execute the reg commands....

Ill try.
+1 on that request, HDR is currently a bit of a ballache having to turn it off and on and if you are 4:4:4 Full RGB user there is an extra step further to drop into 4:2:0.

Best way to play HDR i've found so far is XPLAY plex via my LG OLED, just works but obviously few people have access to that.

Hope Microsoft realize their gaff and have HDR enable only on relevant content like 3D mode does.
Any update on HDR support on windows?

Thanks!
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2017-06-16, 15:56)movie78 Wrote: Any update on HDR support on windows?

Thanks!
You should check on another website for updates made by Gereral, if that is what you want to know?
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2017-06-16, 16:15)p750mmx Wrote:
(2017-06-16, 15:56)movie78 Wrote: Any update on HDR support on windows?

Thanks!
You should check on another website for updates made by Gereral, if that is what you want to know?

I don't think General1 tweak applies to Kodi.
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
It will if he gets the Windows HDR and advanced color switch coded to a hotkey or shortcut of some sort.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2017-06-16, 19:09)brazen1 Wrote: It will if he gets the Windows HDR and advanced color switch coded to a hotkey or shortcut of some sort.

That's the goal. Load movie create .Cal...place in folder and have HDR switching for movies you tell it to switch.

I've already tested xdr. Cal and have code working. I'm just writing the XDR config and creating the interface to be automatic. This program is smart. It will write XML for u. I want HDR XDR launching outside kodi included. Then after HDR is figures out I'm going to take a look at kodis internal player and Python.
(2017-06-16, 21:32)Gereral1 Wrote:
(2017-06-16, 19:09)brazen1 Wrote: It will if he gets the Windows HDR and advanced color switch coded to a hotkey or shortcut of some sort.

That's the goal. Load movie create .Cal...place in folder and have HDR switching for movies you tell it to switch.

I've already tested xdr. Cal and have code working. I'm just writing the XDR config and creating the interface to be automatic. This program is smart. It will write XML for u. I want HDR XDR launching outside kodi included. Then after HDR is figures out I'm going to take a look at kodis internal player and Python.

Can't wait!

Great job!!
79hrs in. If you guys want to join me following thie kodi hdr project you can find it on the redfox forums or google it.... I released sdi verson as a temp solution but will make it better and automated. Plus add hdr dev switch. Before releasing this I will code a on off switch for you guys to test b4 adding this code to xdr.cal. That way I know the hdr function will work for intel nvidia and my amdrx 470 card.
may i ask if theres a simple "switch" script to just enable / disable HDR in win 10 creators ... best would be to recognize and switch itself, but a addon script would be a start Wink

not using external players like MPC or wrappers like MadVR, to keep as clean as possible, seems currently its an either an Nvidia or MS issue about HDR Api ...
just a simple script with execute the HDR switch by cmd or regestry whatever ...

for me and the most i assume the HDR switch solves the HDR playback in most cases (general1 idea to setup by movie will prolly result in best quality) but just to
simple playback normal and HDR Material without using the mouse a switch would be nice, when i switch HDR manually on it works here at least for movies pretty nice,
then off again for all other things like live TV ...

For an hint thanks ahead.
Simple answer, no there is no shortcut switch.

Kodi internal player is not HDR capable. You have to use an external player that can be added seamlessly.

Currently, if you use 378.92 NVidia driver with madVR in FSE or PDVD, HDR mode switching is automatic both on and off though I have intermittent problems with off using madVR but not PDVD. This allows 10bit. The manual Windows HDR switch is not available nor needed.

If you use a newer driver with madVR in windowed mode, it too will switch automatically but only at 8bit. FSE will not work, only windowed.
PDVD does not automate the HDR switch using newer drivers either, only the older driver.

Waiting on NVidia to update drivers for FSE (like the old drivers are) and/or MS windowed compatibility with 10bit. Prefer NVidia method personally and will probably address quicker than MS if MS even decides to give it attention. I don't think MS is keen on HDR video PC playback but more game oriented and perhaps NVidia too. AMD and Intel appear to have little interest if any but that could change too. All this is still too new and until UHD can be ripped it really doesn't matter. But there is preparation for when and if that materializes which provides incentive.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
thanks for the advice, i gave both a try with no luck, so i ll wait for driver update and hope Wink

just as note, downgraded by clean install to nvidia 378.92

installed pdvd v15, video never started to play through kodi, only pdvd start screen came up, normal or cinema ... no change.

mpc with madvr, worked for normal playback and converting HDR, but as soon i enabled passthrough HDR to TV only got green video pic (black bars stay) ...
and TV never changed to HDR mode.

thanks anyway and lets see what will come Wink
PDVD 15 is not HDR capable. Only v.17. If PDVD screen to select PC or Cinema mode comes up, you have to select 'never ask again' and then select one or the other.
Not sure why MPC with madVR produced a green screen? Too many things it could be. Works perfect here and for others FSE. Polishing up HDR guide today. Just going to add it to 3D guide. Should be posted today. Hope it helps folks running into problems, eases installation, and centralizes discussion.

I still don't understand how @Gereral1 tweak works with Kodi, anyone cares to explain on how this will be implemented in Kodi.

Thanks!
(2017-07-12, 15:28)brazen1 Wrote: PDVD 15 is not HDR capable. Only v.17. If PDVD screen to select PC or Cinema mode comes up, you have to select 'never ask again' and then select one or the other.
Not sure why MPC with madVR produced a green screen? Too many things it could be. Works perfect here and for others FSE. Polishing up HDR guide today. Just going to add it to 3D guide. Should be posted today. Hope it helps folks running into problems, eases installation, and centralizes discussion.

Hi,

thanks for your advices and infos.

i tried now your setup guide with MPC-BE and madvr, now, when i play directly in mpc its looking good, roughly my tv doesnt show me HDR is now playing but colors look ok,
nothing washed out anymore and fine, also when playing no HDR input colors are also ok, in TV menus i see different brightness levels ...

but, when i now use KODI to start anything i get some certificate error (not valid anymore) and only empty MPC screen ... may an idea ? - update, seems due Plex as Backend ...
changed to always unsecure and the error is gone, still not properly working cause it seems like the pathes are not always correctly taken (file not found in mpc), so i added the sources
now manually for testing purposes ...

after some tests with playback from direct pathes, some videos are played back in exclusive mode (Direct3D 10bit) and some are only windowed (Direct3D 8 bit) ...
so, as especially the 2160 p movies are always 8 bit windowed only no full HDR coming through (colors are not washed out but i see its not fully right) ... may some hints what could be the reason ?
checked when hitting ctrl + j from madvr info output.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDR Support Window 102