• 17(current)
Hardware for Linux and XBMC
Since i mailed Gigabyte a while ago about the 45nm support on the GA-73PVM-S2H and got the answer they were still testing.. i just went to their website to check if they updated..

Seems the 45mn C2D's are supported by this board now also since bios F3 update..
Well you can run XP/vista on the mac mini too, so that's not a problem. But in your case since it's not a matter of a lack of technical ability, I'd just pick up the cheapest el-drecko AGP nvidia card on newegg ($36) and pop it in. Depending on the bitrate they may play fine on your old box. Note that bluray and hd-dvds cannot be played linux at all yet.

If your old box can't handle the video, you can use the videocard in the new machine so it won't be wasted. It'll certainly be better than integrated, if not particularly necessary.

As for the motherboard choice, all I can say is that I have a nv630i 7150 motherboard and it works flawlessly with XBMC/linux. I wouldn't necessarily want to be a guinea pig as XBMC is still in early development. Run as close as possible to the developers' platform.
rodalpho Wrote:Note that bluray and hd-dvds cannot be played linux at all yet.

OK that bit just made me sit up Shocked

I know actual bluray/hddvd discs cant be played, but I thought you can play the individual steams within XBMC linux? (i.e. no menu support etc)
Razor_109 Wrote:I was wondering did someone else tried the Asus P5E-VM HDMI yet? I know BLKMGK has it but didnt get the Onboard Intel GMA X3500 running, but didnt try that much I thought.

Still not sure whether to go for a C2D E6750 with a Nvidia 630i/7100 GeForce Motherboard or an Asus P5E-VM HDMI with an E8400..

CPU prices are the same, only Asus Mobo is more expensive though.. dont know if it's worth the difference.. (Dual-Channel RAM/ OC-Capabilities/ 45nm Support)
Just think the Asus + E8400 is more future proof..

The asus was on my list, however its more than double the price of the Gigabyte. The lack of dual channel memory (and requiring 1.8v memory) should be fine for a HTPC. I wouldnt buy this for a desktop or gaming rig tho.
I currently have the E6750 running @ 3.6ghz in my desktop pc stable!
Sure, if you crack the DRM and rip it to disk you can play the actual video streams in linux. But you can't pop in a disk and hit play like a DVD. Yet.
rodalpho Wrote:Sure, if you crack the DRM and rip it to disk you can play the actual video streams in linux. But you can't pop in a disk and hit play like a DVD. Yet.

Ahh so because of the DRM, I cant even browse the disk structure and pick a stream to play, without ripping first.. hmm ok that limits the 'legal' options somewhat.

Thank you for the info Smile
Anyone here who own a Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H or any other motherboard based on Nvidia 630i and GeForce 7100/7150?

If so could you give any details about overclocking posibilities for the CPU?
Yes, I have the evga NF77 7150 and have a e4500 overclocked to 3Ghz. Works fine.
Sad 
Razor_109 Wrote:I was wondering did someone else tried the Asus P5E-VM HDMI yet? I know BLKMGK has it but didnt get the Onboard Intel GMA X3500 running, but didnt try that much I thought. <snip>

No, I didn't try very hard. It all loaded up fine but XBMC ran pretty darned slow. I went to Intel's WEB page for drivers and couldn't figure out what it was I needed to do to install them. Now, I'm not stupid but I'm also no wizard at Linux and it seemed an awful lot like they sort of were assuming a level of proficiency I don't yet have. I spent a little time at it but not too much. Having used ENVY with an NVIDIA card, having that NVIDIA card sitting next to me, and not finding much help on the Intel site I just ditched it. Honestly from everything I've read that video chipset isn't really strong although I'll grant we're not pushing the video card here too much. My primary concerns had been some sort of digital audio output, an ASUS board w/Intel chipset, and that form factor - my choices at NewEgg were limited so it was for that and not the video that I bought the board. That is NOT a cheap board eitherRolleyes It might have been nice to have the video work better but it wasn't critical, NVIDIA was path of least resistance.

As for HD-DVD.... there's a few things to bear in mind. First is the UDF format is 2.5 and for some damned reason Ubuntu isn't supporting 2.5 yet. It's a patch for a kernel module although one nice guy was willing to compile and post a version for me on the Ubuntu forums. After replacing it I still couldn't read the disks much less play them, Windows beckoned. Supposedly once you can read them some of them are NOT copy protected. I cannot verify that although I do now have my drive hooked to a Vista box and had it on XP too. I'm told Vista has UDF2.5 support, XP needs it added but AnyDVD solves all. Then comes the next hurdle ASSuming you get the damned .EVO files off of your media. That hurdle is playback - nothing, and I mean NOTHING "open", plays the files. Not VLC and no not mPlayer either last I looked - and some of the devs out there get pretty touchy when prodded about it. On Windows there are two apps to play them, one of which is supposedly crappy\broken, the other much better but has recently been patched to NOT play from HDD anymore - cute. Rodalpho if you've actually PLAYED one of those .EVO streams in Linux and have solid info on this I'm all ears, methinks you're just assuming it works. I just tried Transformers and while Gnome Movie Player thought it could play it and downloaded GStreamer CODECs to try all I got was screeching and no video...

So, that means that you need to transcode to another format. This is good since the video files are HUGE! HD-DVD is supposedly maxxing out at 15Gig? but I've seen bigger files, 26Gigs for Transformers. I RIP with AnyDVD-HD on Vista. I have researched transcoding too... For starters there's NO one tool to do the job. You will also find that depending on the disk the audio and possibly the video is in different varying (from disk to disk) formats. In order to transcode it you must first separate the video from the audio, this isn't too bad to do. Then you have to compress the video - I used X.264 with good settings on King Kong. 80HOURS later my 2.6Ghz AMD puked out a file, I've yet to try it on my new E8400 clocked to 4Ghz but it should be noticeably quickerRolleyes Now comes the fun part, the Audio! So far I've found some patched version of FFMPEG that supports EAC but the end result was a file full of static along with the audio - it's bugged apparently. When done I had a 12Gig MKV file that played smooth as silk on LinuXBMC but had crappy audio. I never watched it all the way through though so I do not know if the sound ever lost track with the video (a common issue) nor have I found a better way to compress these. I now own like 10-12 HD-DVD but my 360 puked. I watch ALL of my DVD (600+ and counting!) via XBMC on my XBOX right now (VOB\IFO issues in Linux) but would really like to watch these that way too! I'd very much like to make this happen if anyone has found a much better way - MKV is my target container and X.264 the compressor I wanted to use. Lord knows I spent enough time trying on the monkey movie, a bad choice for testing too since it's so long.

So, while I do not want to take this conversation too far off the rails talking about HD-DVD crap, that has been my experience thus far - not a good one. This was all done on Windows, mostly on XP, but I doubt that Linux would yield better results yet. There's tools in the works I'm sure but thus far nothing pushbutton for dummies that this dummy has found.Stare

P.S. Blue-Ray isn't any better once it's ripped and apparently ripping is harder. Sony can bite me!Oo If someone else has had a better\different experience let's please talk about it in another thread instead of this one <sigh>
My understanding is that the SVN (not-official) releases of both mplayer and ffmpeg can indeed play the EVO files once decrypted but no, I haven't tried it.
rodalpho Wrote:My understanding is that the SVN (not-official) releases of both mplayer and ffmpeg can indeed play the EVO files once decrypted but no, I haven't tried it.

Now THAT is good news! I've not tried building either of those from SVN but I remember one of the mPlayer devs sounding a bit snippy when I was looking for software to play this. As I recall their canned response when asked about HD support was something like "we'll get to it, stop asking"Laugh The ffmpeg code I had could apparently read it but decoding the audio seems to be an issue. I think the code I used had EAC code written for one of Google's Code Summer things and I found more than one person complaining about the static when using it to transcode. I know XBMC isn't using mPlayer but I *think* the ffmpeg code is a help so my fingers are crossed that eventually we'll get it in XBMC but I'll understand if it's not there tomorrow:p I'm trying to compile ffmpeg from SVN now, we'll see how it goes, I'll try mPlayer too while I'm being adventurous - at least I'd be more sure what to do with it! I appreciate the info on these packages...

P.S. please don't feel like I was jumping you on this, to say I'm frustrated with the situation is an understatement and I hope I didn't sound like I was taking it out on you Sad
According to this page it even worked back in feisty. But again, I haven't tried it.
rodalpho Wrote:According to this page it even worked back in feisty. But again, I haven't tried it.

Funny, I was all over that page trying to get the ODF2.5 drivers to work, duh! So far though no playback even with this SVN mPlayerNo. CODEC issues for audio and no video so far... <shrug>
Hi guys!

I wanted to ask if there are any new informations on a "need to know"-basis refering to a recommended hardware?

I'm using the XBMC on my Xbox and I'm happy with it. Well... quite happy despite the fact that I can't run my HD-material.

Sooo... what hw should be used for the "usual" material (x264/vc1) with a maximum of ~15000kbps in bitrate?

I would be really, REALLY thankful if you could share your experience with me! Smile

PS: Sorry for me bad english... it has been a very long time since im out of school... I hope it's understandable... Sad
There is no officially recommended minimum yet. I'd personally recommend:

CPU: 2.2ghz C2D
Video: any nvidia that supports opengl 2.0
RAM: 1GB
Remote: MS MCE
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware for Linux and XBMC4