Help on new setup please
Hi all.

I'll prefix this post with a bit of background. Been using Kodi (xbmc) for about 10+ years, streaming content from a Synology NAS to a couple of Revo 3600 boxes with no issues.

Sadly, 1 of the boxes has died so I need to replace it with something, but god its so confusing these days trying to work out whats best to go. Been reading on here all morning and I think now I'm more confused than before I started.

So, if someone could provide a a bit of assistance I'd be most grateful. My requirements haven't really changed. Still stream from synology nas (hard wired), don't need 4K, but need audio pass-through to AV receiver. Occasionally use live streaming.

Underlying OS doesn't really bother me, but want something thats going to provide hassle free running for a few years. Whatever I decide, I'll use to replace the remaining working Revo's as well. Budget wise, middle of the road I guess.

Thanks
1080p only box + Audio passthrough you require, that is bulletproof = ASUS Chromebox running LibreELEC Kodi Jarvis.

If you need 1080p 10bit HEVC (H265) decoding, then the Chromebox will hit a Software decoding limit as no hardware decoding for that codec.
AMLogic S905 boxes running LibreELEC then are used for this 10bit HEVC hardware decoding with 5.1/7.1 HD Audio passthrough by numerous people.

Otherwise the nVIDIA Shield does all that too with its friendly Android TV OS. Its now a pretty mature stable package.

I take it you have read Posts #1 and #2 from the START HERE sticky thread ?

Thanks @wrxtasy

I have been through the Start Here, but after a while it just gets a bit confusing.. So many options. Figuring out which one fits the bill rights can be tricky.

For some reason chromeboxes are bit hard to get a hold of here without paying through the nose for one.

Can you recommend a decent AMLogic S905 box (thats not a chinese heap of !!!!)
I recommend 2GB AML S905's only for LibreELEC as there is an unresolved LibreELEC Kodi memory leak that afflicts the 1GB LE AML devices at the moment.

I personally use a LE supported ODROID C2 with eMMC Flash memory because I know it works well and any IR remote can be custom programmed to work with it. MCE and Harmony remotes as an example work out of the box.
There is also comprehensive HDMI-CEC control for compatible TV's and AVR's.

It really depends on how much DIY you want to do. Other AML S905's that work are found over on the LibreELEC forums - AMLogic sub-forum.
The WeTek Play2 also works well.
I've recently asked WeTek to consider offering the Play2 without a TV Tuner. For those that want a S905 with SPDIF and working BT/WiFi with a decent IR range remote control.

Have a look down here too:
V
V

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help on new setup please0