Can't run Kodi - "Symbol lookup error"
Hi,

When trying to start Kodi 17 beta (unstable ppa) on a fresh Xubuntu 16.10 in Virtualbox, I get the following error:

Code:
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/kodi.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/kodi.bin: undefined symbol: glIsSync

And Kodi does not start. Running v16.1 from the Xubuntu repo works fine, but I'd really like the beta for the timebeing. Any help would be appreciated, as google is unfamiliar with this error. Thanks!
Bump! Still no idea where to go with this
My guess - and it is genuinely only that, because you're sounding desperate Smile - is that this is an error with either the OpenGL libraries in the guest, or how the hypervisor is handing those requests over to the host OS for processing.

It may be a matter of having to update a library somewhere, or making sure VirtualBox is correctly configured for hardware acceleration via the host. Maybe poke around with mesa-utils and glxinfo to see if that shows anything up.

I have a Xubuntu Xenial VM somewhere on a Trusty host, so I'll give it a go if I get a chance.
Okay, I had a *broken* Xubuntu Xenial VM. After a bit of battering, though... I added the Unstable PPA... installed Kodi... and it works fine. So that was utterly inconclusive.

debug_log (wiki) to get more information on your guest system, perhaps?

Do you need/have you got the guest additions installed? Do you have acceleration enabled in the VM config (although mine seems to work fine with or without that)?

It's also possibly a Yakkety-specific issue, especially if it's library-related.

I'll stop guessing now, though!
Thanks,

Kodi does not appear to get far enough to produce a debug log, unfortunately. I did manage to get it to run after disabling 3D acceleration as per your suggestion, however. This reduces FPS to the single-digits so I wouldn't say it's useable, but enough for my purposes at the moment. Version 16.1 runs smoothly with 3D acceleration enabled, only 17 crashes here.

Thanks again!
You miss a proper opengl installation and every future version of kodi will also crash on it. A missing symbol is nothing that kodi provides, but your drivers.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Virtualbox is a bad choice for running kodi for anything else then testing
Just in case anyone else does a search for this error and ends up here, I thought I'd post how I fixed this issue. I'm a total newbie when it comes to both Ubuntu or Kodi, so my approach was to first check if glxgears or glmark2 would actually run in my virtual machine. Even though I had installed VBOXGuestAdditions (which provides the 3D acceleration ability), glxgears wouldnt run. I then re-installed the guest additions and rebooted the box. When I next checked glxgears worked as expected as did Kodi.

TL;DR - check your Ubuntu installation has 3D accelleration working using glxgears or similar and re-install guest additions if required (first of all ensuring 3D acceleration is enabled in the Virtual box settings)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't run Kodi - "Symbol lookup error"0