Backspace/parent folder unintuitive behavior
I find navigation in Kodi very awkward, and certainly unintuitive, particularly around the behavior of the back button (Backspace).

Consider this behavior:

1. Open a plugin directly using ActivateWindow(Programs,"plugin://plugin.program.myplugin/abc", return)
2. Press backspace
3. Instead of exiting the plugin, Kodi will navigate to plugin://plugin.program.myplugin.
4. What?!?!?

Is there a way to disable or somehow work around this behavior?
Same here. Good to know that I'm not the only one who is annoyed by this.

btw are you using Krypton?
Plugin in general have the ability to override actions so even if there was a setting there is a good chance it wouldn't work. But this sounds like it would be better in kodi development and not addon development. There is a simular article already posted before yours which states if run script is used instead of activate window, it will have the effect you like if you are the person actually developing the app and not just looking to get the overall kodi application changed.
(2016-11-16, 19:10)SLiX Wrote: Same here. Good to know that I'm not the only one who is annoyed by this.

btw are you using Krypton?

Yes, this is on Krypton, and this used to work normally on Jarvis.

I opened a bug as this seems to be a regression.
I've noticed that too. This seems to be a byproduct of the new caching behaviour.

I am calling a plugin from a context script.
This bug hasn't even been looked at and we're now hitting RC?
If you need call other addon from your and you want back to your addon by backspace you need use xbmc.executebuiltin('container.update(plugin://plugin.program.myplugin/abc)')
That's not really what the issue is.
The issue is:

1. Open YouTube and drill down into the menus. Add a sub-menu to the Kodi favourites.
Your favourite will look like something like: ActivateWindow(10025,"plugin://plugin.video.youtube/special/popular_right_now/",return)
2. Go back to the home screen and open the favourite. You should be automatically navigated to plugin://plugin.video.youtube/special/popular_right_now/.
3. Press backspace.

Instead of going back out of the plugin, you are going back to the first screen of the YouTube plugin.
Can we get confirmation this bug has been triaged?

http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17075

It feels like this is a major bug, effecting a lot of peoples usability that might be being blamed on other things.

An example of the confusion:
https://emby.media/community/index.php?/...des-issue/

I have tried:
RunAddon(plugin.video.embycon, mode=SHOW_CONTENT&item_type=Movie)

instead of
ActivateWindow(Videos, plugin://plugin.video.embycon? mode=SHOW_CONTENT&item_type=Movie, return)

With no different, it still goes back the addon root instead of back to the home screen where the original link was.
Glad to know I'm not imagining this issue! I'm new to using Kodi (17.1 Krypton), and I dig it overall, but the unpredictable back behavior is odd.

It's interesting because it also applies to how you browse your movies.

For example, let's say you like to use sub-menus on your home menu. You select:

Home/Movies->Recently added movies->Rambo.

Then, hit "back", and you end up:

Rambo->Recently added movies->Your entire library, including the directory structure for TV shows, epsiodes, albums, songs, artists, mixed media, and favorites. Why would you ever want to be suddenly browsing for music when you're in the Videos area? It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Now, you can get around this by mapping the "previous menu" key to the back button instead. With "previous menu", you go:

Rambo->Recently added movies->Home/Movies just like you'd expect.

Of course, by using "previous menu" you've just broken movie sets.

If you use movie sets, and visit:

Home/Movies->All Movies->Dark Knight trilogy->The Dark Knight. Hitting "previous menu" results in:

The Dark Knight->Dark Knight trilogy->Home/Movies. It skips returning to the all movies view entirely. Unfortunately, Kodi also remembers where you last were, so the next time you try and visit Home/Movies->All movies it will dump you back into the Dark Knight trilogy movie set page. You're basically stuck until you map "back" to something.

Whereas if you use "back" in this case, it proceeds:

The Dark Knight->Dark Knight trilogy->All movies->Home/Movies just like you'd most likely prefer.

Essentially, it's kind of pick your poison. Personally, although I like having movie sets, I like not constantly being dumped into the library view more, so for now I'm sticking with using "previous menu" for my back arrow button on the remote, and have disabled movie sets. Just as a tip for anyone else that experiences the same issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Backspace/parent folder unintuitive behavior0