v16 Horizontal Distortion Lines with Kodi 16.1/FireTV/Silicon Dust HD HomeRun
So, I am using NextPVR 3.8.3 with renderer codec EVR, Video Decoders CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD13) and Audio Decover LAV Audio Decoder. NextPVR is running on a very high end machine with a dedicated M2 SSD for DVR recording with a tuner source of a Silicon Dust HD HomeRun with Amazon FireTV's as my clients. Everything is connected to an enterprise grade gigabit switched backbone of dell switches. Here is the problem. When watching live TV or TV Recordings via Kodi on the FireTV's I am getting equally spaced horizontal distortion lines in the video, especially during movement in scenes. Once a scene is no longer moving it goes away, but as soon as people/objects start moving again they come back, with the more movement the more distortion. If I pull up the recordings on the media server itself and watch them in NextPVR there isn't any distortion. So it doesn't seem to be an issue with the tuner/server/PVR recordings/codecs. It seems to be an issue with the NextPVR client on Kodi on a FireTV. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!
The NextPVR decoder and renderer settings are only relevent when watching in NextPVR itself. When you're watching via Kodi, it'll just come down to the settings in Kodi.

It sounds like you're describing interlacing artifacts, so easily fixed by turning on deinterlacing in Kodi (assuming the FireTV can do deinterlacing).
(2016-11-16, 20:06)sub3 Wrote: The NextPVR decoder and renderer settings are only relevent when watching in NextPVR itself. When you're watching via Kodi, it'll just come down to the settings in Kodi.

It sounds like you're describing interlacing artifacts, so easily fixed by turning on deinterlacing in Kodi (assuming the FireTV can do deinterlacing).

How do I find that setting in 16.1? I can't find it anywhere.
On my currently installed Kodi 17 (on Windows), I can click the 'Settings' icon during video playback, click video settings, then select the deinterlacing method. I can remember exactly where it was on 16.1, but it'll be somewhere similar.
(2016-11-16, 20:23)sub3 Wrote: On my currently installed Kodi 17 (on Windows), I can click the 'Settings' icon during video playback, click video settings, then select the deinterlacing method. I can remember exactly where it was on 16.1, but it'll be somewhere similar.

Yeah that doesn't exist in my Kodi 16.1 on the FireTV. If the hardware doesn't support it, will kodi not show it?
Correct. Ftv is no bueno for livetv

Sent from my DROID Turbo
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2016-11-16, 20:28)bry Wrote: Correct. Ftv is no bueno for livetv

Sent from my DROID Turbo (typie typie)

Well now that just sucks! I have a crap ton of them, one per TV for the express reason of using Kodi.... :-( I do have 2 of the newer versions, I'll check to see if the next gen is any different.
Raspberry pi is a great affordable option for live TV viewing.

Sent from my DROID Turbo
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2016-11-16, 21:40)bry Wrote: Raspberry pi is a great affordable option for live TV viewing.

Sent from my DROID Turbo (typie typie)

My main concern of going that route is adding yet another device and reduces the simplicity of a single device for my wife. I only get away with all this home automation, etc, etc, as long as I don't make her life miserable :-) Are there good remote control options for pi? I've never used one.
There is experimental simple deinterlacing for the firetv. Check out this thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213600
A better option might be too deinterlace the video before you store it, or before you send it to the clients. This should be possible in your server.
(2016-11-17, 21:28)Kib Wrote: A better option might be too deinterlace the video before you store it, or before you send it to the clients. This should be possible in your server.
The server doesn't need to retranscode the streams for any other client, so there we've got no intention of adding it just for the FireTV. If the FireTV isn't up to playing interlaced streams, then it's a pretty useless client and people should look for alternative devices. The user could roll their own retranscoding in the batch files that NextPVR provides, but pressonally I wouldn't go down that path.
He stated he has multiple clients, and he seemed to have a beefy server. It therefore seemed a cheaper solution than replacing the clients immediately.
(2016-11-17, 22:17)Kib Wrote: He stated he has multiple clients, and he seemed to have a beefy server. It therefore seemed a cheaper solution than replacing the clients immediately.
As mentioned - he's free to try rolling his own solution for recordings. It's going to really complicate things for him though, and probably still have the issue to deal with for Live TV, so I personally wouldn't go down this path. It's much better to have a client capable of directly playing the broadcast streams he's interested in watching/recording.
(2016-11-17, 22:17)Kib Wrote: He stated he has multiple clients, and he seemed to have a beefy server. It therefore seemed a cheaper solution than replacing the clients immediately.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Kid, I do have a very beefy machine with very fast Disk I/O, how would I go about using NextPVR batch files to de-interlace the recordings? Sorry I just have no idea how to go about that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Horizontal Distortion Lines with Kodi 16.1/FireTV/Silicon Dust HD HomeRun0