colour space - RGB / YBCR - 16-235 / 0-235
(2016-11-18, 17:02)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2016-11-18, 11:09)Gracus Wrote: It's not an issue!
It's just the way kodi works

GUI is made for full color space and video files are made for limited color space so no matter how you set color space in kodi you could have color issue on gui or video (more or less visible depending on the black level/contrast ratio/color reproduction of your screen/TV)

What a complete nonsense you write. I would have not said this, if you did not ignore my post.
I know for sure that at least on Linux ui and video observe limited/full range setting. This is how kodi works. And yes, this is not an issue because it works correctly, at least on Linux.

I do not ignore your post

I use windows and Yes both UI and video observe the limited/full range setting
I just explain what happen if you set color range to one or the other and never said it was an issue

But I will just let the OP alone on this subject...
Moanbag is in da place!
(2016-11-18, 18:18)stoolzo Wrote: [quote='Memphiz' pid='2459025' dateline='1479485602']
I mentioned HTPC so its a PC and MADVR and DS PLAYER which are windows only are they not?

If you say so. Just wanted to help really to get some needed information here. I have no clue about windows and those tools you mentioned. And you might need to show some more patience. If you think we didn't get the problem yet then describe it in different words. Or just continue to be annoyed and our interest might vanish completly...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
There isnt much to understand here, i'm not asking for help, this isnt the support section, this is just a feature requests to add a separate colour space to there GUI or a brightness slider for those people using the windows platform with their machine set to FULL RGB as if their colour space if setup correctly wil be washed out if 16-235 is selected. To do this the devs will have to decouple the 16-235 switch from the gui menu. This is possible as the colour space is determined by the internal player in that if you use KODI DSPLAYER the colour space is determined by MADVR.
There is NO problem with the color space(s) on windows.

If Kodi is set to full range, it will output GUI and video at full range.
If Kodi is set to limited range, it will output both at limited range.

There are no BTB/WTW issues if the tv is set to the right setting. Seperate controls make zero sense.

You are using an unofficial build, go and ask the author for support.
(2016-11-21, 13:49)membrane Wrote: There is NO problem with the color space(s) on windows.

If Kodi is set to full range, it will output GUI and video at full range.
If Kodi is set to limited range, it will output both at limited range.

There are no BTB/WTW issues if the tv is set to the right setting. Seperate controls make zero sense.

You are using an unofficial build, go and ask the author for support.

Clearly you were too busy winding your neck out to bother to actually read any of my posts and fully understand the issue. Nobody said there is a fault here, this is a feature request. KODI plays everything correctly as it should but the gui will be washed for ALL HTPC users who deploy FULL RGB 4:4:4 pixel formats, if you dont understand why this is then you dont know what you are talking about.

if you are using 4:4:4 FULL RGB and KODI Krypton and your GUI is not washed out then you've got something in your setup WRONG, your TV or monitor will be set to LOW instead HIGH depending on what the manufacturer calls the colour space - and therefor your deskop will be crushed as will your youtube videos.

With regards to your comments on an unofficial build, clearly you didnt read my post, I said I am using an unofficial build to get around this problem amongst other things but I want to move to KODI krypton which does have this issue as it deals with colour space the same way it always has.

This is a feature request for Krypton, not DSPLAYER as it doesnt have this problem.
I've made the efford to compare the output for the full/limited color space.

GUI (using a simple b/w graphic):
The full RGB setting scales from #000000 to #FFFFFF
The limited RGB setting scales from #101010 to #EBEBEB

Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxLqbIajHLA):

Everything works like it should. Your feature request would introduce a BTB/WTW error in the GUI/video, depending on the setting of your display.
(2016-11-21, 16:47)membrane Wrote: You don't have a single clue how color spaces work, don't you? Please make some screenshots to explain your problem.

Screenshots will be absolutely useless as it also depends on your screen/TV rendering (black level, contrast ratio, ...)

But that's just my 2 cents...
Moanbag is in da place!
(2016-11-21, 16:47)membrane Wrote: I've made the efford to compare the output for the full/limited color space.

GUI (using a simple b/w graphic):

Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxLqbIajHLA):

Everything works like it should. Your feature request would introduce a BTB/WTW error in the GUI/video, depending on the setting of your display.

yes it would hence the gui colour space needs to be decoupled and controlled separately from video playback as you can do using DSPLAYER and MADVR. it makes no sense to have the gui tied to the video playback colour space anyway, I've always thought this was a flaw.
(2016-11-21, 16:55)Gracus Wrote:
(2016-11-21, 16:47)membrane Wrote: You don't have a single clue how color spaces work, don't you? Please make some screenshots to explain your problem.

Screenshots will be absolutely useless as it also depends on your screen/TV rendering (black level, contrast ratio, ...)
Screenshots are perfectly fine to show that the color range setting is working as intented. A misaligned tv would affect GUI and videos equally. The OP also assumes that this is a general problem, not releated to his setup.

(2016-11-21, 17:10)stoolzo Wrote: yes it would hence the gui colour space needs to be decoupled and controlled separately from video playback as you can do using DSPLAYER and MADVR. it makes no sense to have the gui tied to the video playback colour space anyway, I've always thought this was a flaw.
This makes no sense at all. GUI and video playback need to have the same color range as the monitor, because it would display color issues otherwise.

Let me wrap this up:
1. You have set the output of your GPU to full RGB
2. You set Kodi to limit the color space
3. You set your tv to limited range

...and you are getting a washed out GUI!?
I will double check what my TV is setup to when I get home, but assume it is set to limited for now.
ok, I had a look at this again last night and this is what I found. Here are three scenarios, none of them produce a fully correct setup. Option 1 gives incorrect black levels so its unwatchable. Option two gives a decent enough picture but I lose BTW & WTW, Option 3 gives perfect black levels and BTW & WTW but desktop and youtube video is crushed.

Prior to crappy crimson drivers I had a profile which I could use to lighten the desktop to deal with option 3 and this worked well, profiles no longer work with ATI CRIMSON this is no longer and option.

OPTION 1

Pixel format: FULL RGB 4:4:4
KODI - 16-235 enabled
TV - HIGH setting

Results

KODI menu = washed out.
Incorrect Black levels
BTB / WTW - n/a
Windows Desktop & Youtube video = ok

OPTION 2

KODI - 16-235 disabled
TV - HIGH setting

Results

KODI menu = ok
Correct Black clipping levels = yes
BTB / WTW - no

OPTION 3

KODI - 16-235 enabled
TV - LOW setting

Results

KODI menu = ok
BTB / WTW - YES
Windows Desktop & Youtube video = crushed
How I have this set with KODI DS is as follows

KODI DS

KODI - 16-235 disabled
TV - HIGH setting
MADVR - 16-235

Results

KODI menu = ok
BTB / WTW - yes

So, the correct TV setting is HIGH for desktop and youtube but with KODI there is no possible way to get the colour and desktop set correctly, I know this is complicated, its equally hard to explain.
if I got you right, Kodi would have to shift the color space of 16-235 videos to 0-255 when 16-235 is disabled in Kodi. Is this somewhat correct?
you know what... I've totally lost the plot now myself, i need to re work through this at the weekend to ensure I'm actually making the right feature request, there is an issue that needs dealing with but I now dont think its as simply as a colour space issue on the gui.

Leave it with me for now.

Cheers for all the contributions.
I use Kodibuntu, and use Chrome launcher together with a script to set full/limited range automatically. That way both Kodi and the occasional internet browsing work correctly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
colour space - RGB / YBCR - 16-235 / 0-2350