Not getting HDTV recording
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but thought I'd start here....

Running OSMC/RPI 3/TVHeadEnd/zap2xml. After a struggle to sort things out, finally got it up and running very nicely (do need a bigger, higher outdoor antenna, tho). In doing a check-out recording session, I set up to do what was stated in the program description: HDTV program. I was expecting 1080 but when I checked the info/properties on the recording, it showed 720. (I have viewed the properties of live programs and they showed 1080 including a couple of others I recorded, so I'm of the opinion that I should be getting full HDTV). What happened?

Something I noticed when setting EPG Sources for each channel in the Configuration/Channel EPG/Channels. For stations with multiple subchannels (multicast/multiplex) there was the expected selections of X.1, X.2, X.3, etc. These options showed call letters followed by "DT" (i.e. KGODT. Also saw some w/LD at the end...is that lower resolution?). What I also found (at the bottom of the option list) were the stations' regular call letters followed by HDTV (i.e. KGO HDTV). These are the ones I selected rather than the X.1 options. Did I make the right choice?

So, what am I missing in the setup to ensure that the PVR will actually record HDTV in 1080 res?

As a side note, last night while the PVR was recording 1 program, I tried to log in (both web and ssh) to see what was going on. Couldn't. Looked like system had locked up. Later on I did a hard reset Sad( Surprisingly, when I thought the sys was down, it actually recorded the whole 1 hr. program Smile But only in 720 Sad(

Thx in advance for any help or pointers where it might be more appropriate to post this.

Cheers....
Tvh records what the broadcaster sends.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I get that. Then why does the program info say 1080 if I'm only getting 720?

(2016-11-18, 03:19)nickr Wrote: Tvh records what the broadcaster sends.
Please provide the output of mediainfo on the file concerned.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
OK. Finally downloaded mediainfo (Thought it was available from the OSMC App Store, but apparently that's old news...unless it's under a different name Sad(

Here is the output from a video file that should have been 1080. I also checked a couple of other videos (w/both .ts and .mp4 extensions) and they are also 720W x 280H or 720W x 400H (BTW - is there a way to upload/attach a file? Didn't see any obvious buttons):

Cheers and thx....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General
Complete name : Falling Water Season 1 Season 1 Episode 1 Pilot September 22 2016 0518.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom
File size : 319 MiB
Duration : 56mn 23s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 790 Kbps
Writing application : Lavf54.63.104

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 700 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 400 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.101
Stream size : 284 MiB (89%)
Writing library : x264 core 120 r2151 a3f4407
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=16 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=25 / keyint_min=2 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=25 / rc=abr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=700 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration_LastFrame : -21ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 82.7 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 24.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 33.4 MiB (10%)

(2016-11-18, 04:03)nickr Wrote: Please provide the output of mediainfo on the file concerned.
In the US, OTA brooadcasts for HD are either 1080i or 720p, with most seeming to be 720. I don't think any broadcaster sends 1080p ...

Edit: A quick jump over to the KGO-TV page at Wikipedia lists KGO as broadcasting 720p. Also remember, "Standard Definition" is only 480p.
Thanks for that Angry (at the station(s) not you...)

So, if I'm to understand correctly, even tho a program (or movie) is listed as HD/1080, that's all well and good except that the station only broadcasts in 720. Not quite what I expected...but I guess it'll have to do.

Do you know of *any* stations that actually broadcast 1080? Actually, a quick search shows that KNTV in the Bay Area does at least some 1080 broadcast (whatever that really means).

Just came across this link which, while it's more about cable, provides a bit more details for OTA (still doesn't make it any better tho Sad

Why don't major cable companies support 1080p broadcasts

(2016-11-19, 03:34)rpcameron Wrote: In the US, OTA brooadcasts for HD are either 1080i or 720p, with most seeming to be 720. I don't think any broadcaster sends 1080p ...

Edit: A quick jump over to the KGO-TV page at Wikipedia lists KGO as broadcasting 720p. Also remember, "Standard Definition" is only 480p.
Actually you're probably better off with 720p. Interlacing is a f***ed up system.
I get that, thx. The link I posted above made a kind of sideways reference to that issue.

Just hard to accept when you can see the sharpness and color in 1080 movies. Guess I'll have to get use to it. Altho, in my limited viewing (no A/B comparisons yet), the 720 didn't seem *that* bad. Time will tell. I'll have to note which stations actually do broadcast 1080 and see if there's really that much difference.

Cheers....

(2016-11-19, 05:21)nickr Wrote: Actually you're probably better off with 720p. Interlacing is a f***ed up system.
Maybe I'm missing something here - but that mediainfo isn't for an HD broadcast of any description.

Quote:Width : 720 pixels
Height : 400 pixels

... and ...

Quote:I also checked a couple of other videos (w/both .ts and .mp4 extensions) and they are also 720W x 280H or 720W x 400H

So it doesn't matter whether the HD being broadcast is 720p, 1080p, 1080i or any other variant, as it looks to me like you're actually recording the SD signal from (presumably) a different channel...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Not getting HDTV recording0