Can't play video files
All;
I am new to the Kodi software so forgive me if my question is obvious. I have a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and am using the OSMC distribution. I was able to get things up and running and imported all of my music and video files without an issue. I can also listen to my music files without a problem. The problem that I am having is that every time I double click on a video, all I get is a screen with an "unhappy" face. I have Kodi set up on an Android tablet and an Unbuntu laptop and they both display videos fine. I'm not sure what I am missing with the Raspberry Pi. Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks;
FSD
Debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Could they be mpeg2 files from a source such as dvd rips or live tv as you need the an additional licence to play those on a RPi.
DVDs directly played via an attached DVD drive rather than DVD rips, as the rips normally would be mp4 or mkv or similar which play fine.

The licences are only needed to enable hardware support. They will play without them via software, but the performance is obviously a lot worse.

The key question for the OP is what format the video files are in, and where they came from.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Nope dvd's ripped to mkv keep the mpeg2 video, you can also rip the the whole dvd to hdd as folder structure and iso so it's an exact copy of dvd so will also keep the mpeg2 video. However didn't know that about the licence, could have sworn I'd seen posts that you couldn't play mpeg2 at all without it, must be confused with people asking about hardware acceleration.
It's a question of what's being played. Low bit rate and/or low resolution will play on via software decoding, but for higher of either then you need the hardware decoding, and so the licence for it.

Personally i always rip to mp4 as it's easier all round and works on just about anything, but you do of course just get the movie and selected audio stream rather than all the other DVD bloat.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Wow, all this feedback is great. Thank you all. The videos are a collection of avi, mkv, mp3, and mp4 from different sources. The strange thing is that I can play these files with Kodi on my Linux laptop and Android tablet. The debug hasn't turned up anything. Maybe I just need to make the debug more verbose. I'm really stumped here.
Thanks;
FSD
Post your debug log to a paste site.

Post the URL here.

No debug log (wiki), no help is possible.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hello;
I greatly appreciate your help with this. I turned debugging on, then tried to view an avi, got the same error, and then uploaded the kodi.log file to https://jpst.it/PHYP

Thanks
FSD
I dont see you trying to view anything in that log.
Have you activated Allow hardware acceleration, in the Decoding settings and both players?
Second, as helta said i do not see your attempt to play either, only issue with your scraper.

But that has nothing to do with not being able to play, as long as you can see the files
Check these links see if any "fixes" are usable.
And seems enable or disable HWA makes little difference

http://kodi.wiki/view/Raspberry_Pi/FAQ#V...n_playback
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=268099
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=224816

Last thing i saw several "solutions" on some other forums not allowed to link to them,
But seems, Darren got it right, mpeg-2 needs a license key for Raspberry Pi’s

@nickr
Off-Topic text, removed and should now be back on track.
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
@kimkl please stay ON TOPIC.
I'd like to thank everybody for their input. As it turned out, Kimkl was right. Once I activated "allow hardware acceleration", I was able to view all of the videos.
Thanks Again;
FSD
(2016-11-24, 19:57)cbbs70a Wrote: I'd like to thank everybody for their input. As it turned out, Kimkl was right. Once I activated "allow hardware acceleration", I was able to view all of the videos.
Thanks Again;
FSD
nice you got it working, m8 and does the video play okay no strange "lag" or sound not in sync?
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
Maybe the video or music is not supported by Kodi, Kodi supported video and audio formats:
Container formats: AVI, MPEG, WMV, ASF, FLV, MKV/MKA (Matroska), QuickTime, MP4, M4A, AAC, Ogg, OGM, RealMedia RAM/RM/RV/RA/RMVB, 3gp
Video formats: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, H.263, MPEG-4 SP and ASP, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), H.265 (as from Kodi 14) HuffYUV, MJPEG, RealVideo, RMVB, WMV
Audio formats: MIDI, AIFF, WAV/WAVE, AIFF, MP2, MP3, AAC, DTS, ALAC, AMR, FLAC, RealAudio, WMA
3D video formats: Passive 3D video formats such as SBS, TAB, anaglyph or interlaced

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't play video files0