[RELEASE] Empty - a very basic XBMC skin for beginners to start learn skinning from
Can a mod update the links in the first post please? this is a really important resource for new skinners imo.
hi...

No, there is no Guide for Skinning ...
Just read my posts cowon developers here in the Forum and you will know, whats possible and what is not.
The best Way is, to build your skin as first completely in an Graphic Program and then you change the Script.
oxilaniswobia Wrote:hi...

No, there is no Guide for Skinning ...

uh?
what's this then? http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Skinning_Manual

oxilaniswobia Wrote:Just read my posts cowon developers here in the Forum and you will know, whats possible and what is not.

your posts? all 1 of them??
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
huge thanks for the skin
so you can adjust the files step by step and always has the settings and dialogues as fallback
Thanks for uploading the EMPTY skin very appreciated
I was wondering why no one has posted any variations they have made using the skin
I have been working on a skin starting from the Empty skin.

I am two weeks into it and still finding things that need to be tweaked.But would definitely not be anywhere near this far into it without the EMPTY base to start with.
here are a few screen shots.

home screen
fanart view
gameview
sub menu
CD view
strip view

a skin is a lot of work even with the great start WIRED provides

Thank you to WIRED and the work of all the great skinners and programmers that are out there.
Playing around with a new concept for a skin but for some odd reason when I play a file the screen is black. If I switch to any other skin, play file, switch back to 'Empty', then play the file it displays correctly?

PASTEBIN

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
After I dl the empty skin what program do I need to use to modify the skin?
Casanova_32210 Wrote:After I dl the empty skin what program do I need to use to modify the skin?

A text editor. I recommend notepad++ (http://notepad-plus-plus.org/) for windows, or geany for *nix. Easy to use, syntax highlighting, auto-indent and line numbering.

This 'skin' isn't updated for dharma though iIrc (had no addon.xml, the new files weren't there (addonmanager etc.) but the old removed ones were). I found it easier to just start with confluence as a base, instead of having to update the skin first to work with dharma. Unless you're designing a skin for the pre-dharma builds, which is just a waste of time.
I'd recommend using Confluence as well.

Also, make sure you get the XML plugin for Notepad++ as it's very handy for error checking and lining everything up tidily.

xmltools_2.3.1_r805_unicode_beta2.zip

and -

ext_libs.zip
Thanks
which file or files of confluence will i need to edit?
Casanova_32210 Wrote:which file or files of confluence will i need to edit?

All of them.
Hitcher Wrote:I'd recommend using Confluence as well.

Also, make sure you get the XML plugin for Notepad++ as it's very handy for error checking and lining everything up tidily.

xmltools_2.3.1_r805_unicode_beta2.zip

and -

ext_libs.zip

Would be interested to learn the basics to build a skin. Since the empty skin is not Dharma ready...and you recommend confluence....is it ok to "strip" confluence to re-build something new using the base code (without the graphics) or does it require permission from the author first?
Is this theme compatible with Dharma 3 ?

Thinking of giving skinning a go.
Cheers,
Scott
Flinty Wrote:Is this theme compatible with Dharma 3 ?

Thinking of giving skinning a go.
Cheers,
Scott

Honestly I think it's alot easier to start with Confluence and strip the .xml's as you go. Then when you done delete the .xbt...

I was getting alot of positioning errors and errors in general using empty wwith Dharma...

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Empty - a very basic XBMC skin for beginners to start learn skinning from3