Connecting to a NAS over the internet
Has anyone set their NAS up over the internet to stream to Kodi clients?

I have a Qnap NAS in another location that I would like to connect to, whats the best protocol to use?

Samba? VPN? FTP?

Any advice would be appreciated.
In theory, WebDAV or "plain" HTTP directory should preform fairly well over the internet. I've done SMB via a VPN before, and the overhead was huge so I wouldn't recommend it :)
I can pull stuff from my NAS at home via WebDAV if I want, but normally the hotel WiFi I tend to end up on is so dire that it's a weak link that breaks. Just carrying a portable HDD is much simpler, albeit requiring data duplication (which in itself is not so bad as it's a secondary backup to my local one at home).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I have an almost 10yo qnap nas that runs. on the network I have a mac-mini 2011 that runs Emby. I then use emby for all media internally as well as externally. even works really well for livetv with my hdhomerun prime. the emby for kodi add-on works really well to unify everything.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Connecting to a NAS over the internet0