Time to get a Fire TV(v2)? ... just a couple of questions
(2016-11-30, 04:23)wrxtasy Wrote: Believe us when we tell you it's the poor Firmware you have on that cheap Android Beelink device that is the root cause of the problem.

Why am I saying this...it's because Passthrough works with SPMC and Kodi on devices like the WeTek's and MINIX AMLogic devices
The nVIDIA Shield's audio works properly as well with SPMC.

Stop blaming SPMC when your cheap Ass devices Firmware, basically has crap Audio support.
The Freaktab website may have some bug fixed Firmware that may help.
Well now, please just wait one second here.

Please understand that I have not "blamed" anybody or anything. That's too strong a word, and I would strive to avoid giving that kind of offense. I greatly respect all of the hard work of both Koying, and you, and everybody else who has had a hand in bringing this great software to me. So that's #1.

My point #2 however is just to reiterate what I already have noted in this thread, i.e. that under the exact same hardware box, with the exact same OS, and the exact same OS settings, and playing the exact same DVD ISO, Kodi itself does successfully perform the 5.1 passthough to my A/V receiver, whereas SPMC does not. So, based on that set of facts, does this sound like there's an unavoidable Android firmware bug embedded into the firmware of this box? Logically, no, since Kodi can and does do the passthough, no problem. (I don't need to go off and consult Freaktab to know that passthough is possible on this box without any special fiddling, because Kodi has already proved that it quite certainly is possible.)

It's obviously to me from these facts that there is just some point in the code where Kodi takes the left fork in the road and SPMC takes the right fork. (Ok, it might not be quite that simple, but that's a good first approximation to a description of what's happening that could result in the facts as I've presented them.)

New firmware isn't the answer, because the firmware clearly isn't the problem. Kodi itself proves that. Kodi can and does do passthrough on this box, with the current firmware & settings. If SPMC can just do whatever kodi is doing to achieve that, then that will be terrific. But if not, then I guess I'm gonna have to send my copy of SPMC back for a full refund of the purchase price. :-)

(Just kidding, of course. As I've already said, I'll be using SPMC on my Beelink no matter what, because the MPEG2 rendering is sharp as a tack, and because I can probably live with just 2 chan stereo for a long long time. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I powered up my rear speakers.)

P.S. I hope my Fire TV will arrive in a day or three. It will be interesting to see how well Kodi & SPMC do on that box. (Given the vagely disparaging comment already made in this thread about the Fire TV, I am not entirely hopeful. Are there known issues with Kodi/SPMC on the Fire TV under Android?)
Sorry must have mis-read when you mentioned SPMC in context with Bugs.

IMHO - for serious Kodi use the only proper thing to do for budget Android AMLogic boxes is to run LibreELEC Kodi on them. Bypassing all the Android Kodi incompatibility rubbish.
We LibreELEC guys actually do take care with getting Kodi and the AMLogic Firmware playing nice together in Harmony Wink

(2016-11-30, 02:09)ronbaby Wrote: P.S. Of course, as you know, under SPMC, there is a rather remarkable dearth of System->Audio options. Unlike with Kodi proper, with SPMC there aren't any switches for enabling passthough selectively for various specific codecs.

Mmm... Almost sounds like you didn't set the settings level in spmc on "advanced" or "expert", but I might misunderstand you...
(2016-11-30, 08:49)Koying Wrote:
(2016-11-30, 02:09)ronbaby Wrote: P.S. Of course, as you know, under SPMC, there is a rather remarkable dearth of System->Audio options. Unlike with Kodi proper, with SPMC there aren't any switches for enabling passthough selectively for various specific codecs.

Mmm... Almost sounds like you didn't set the settings level in spmc on "advanced" or "expert", but I might misunderstand you...
I looked all over in all of the SPMC menus for anyplace where I could enable "Advanced" menu options.. which I've done before in straight Kodi/Confluence... and I just did not find anyplace in any of the SPMC menus where there was any switch or button or knob to enable this for SPMC. I just now looked again, to see if I had maybe missed something, and I still can't find where or how to enable this. Did I just miss it? If it is there, someplace in the UI, it seems to be rather well hidden.
Well this is embarrassing.... Googling "Wiki Kodi Settings" .... Its the same for SPMC, LibreELEC, WeTek Media Player, XBMC for MINIX....

http://kodi.wiki/view/settings

(2016-11-30, 10:39)ronbaby Wrote: I looked all over in all of the SPMC menus for anyplace where I could enable "Advanced" menu options.. which I've done before in straight Kodi/Confluence...

It's the same Confluence in SPMC, so not sure how you can miss it...
(2016-11-30, 11:47)wrxtasy Wrote: Well this is embarrassing.... Googling "Wiki Kodi Settings" .... Its the same for SPMC, LibreELEC, WeTek Media Player, XBMC for MINIX....

http://kodi.wiki/view/settings
Have you actually looked at the actual skin/UI of the SPMC that's currently available from the PlayStore lately?

Hint: It doesn't look even remotely like the image at the link you provided.

Koying apparently rearranged almost everything, presumably to suit his personal tastes, and to confuse the hell out of long-time Kodi/Confluence users like me. (He succeded.)

I managed to figure my way around Koying's rather unique skin, at least well enough to set up NFS sources, play videos and such, but I stand by what I said. If you find a button or a knob or a dial which lets you enable advanced menu options on the actual SPMC which is actually the one that's actually currently available in the Playstore, then by all means please post a picture or a screen shot of that. But until then, it might be better if you were not so quick to dismiss what I said.
(2016-11-30, 12:38)ronbaby Wrote: Koying apparently rearranged almost everything, presumably to suit his personal tastes, and to confuse the hell out of long-time Kodi/Confluence users like me. (He succeded.)

Heh? Nope.
What is probably happening is that you're using the tabled/phone skin ("re-touched") because your firmware says your box is a tablet.

Just switch back to confluence.
Consider the Mi Box running Android TV and forget sideloading.
I run SPMC for voice control and Android support.
Sling remains unreliable and PlayStation Vue seems to be a good alternative.

Sent from my XT1585
(2016-11-30, 12:38)ronbaby Wrote: Have you actually looked at the actual skin/UI of the SPMC that's currently available from the PlayStore lately?
Oh the Pain and Trauma - it hurts my eyes to read...nearly there @ronbaby
Hint...under the Kodi Wiki sub-title - 2 Settings
then this link....
Quote:Click [Expand] to see the Settings for Kodi versions up to version 16

Change to Confluence Skin using the "Appearance" option.

Lets all sing together now "SPMC is lots of fun for everyone !" :Tongue

PS. This is Koying way of getting back at AML users for all those years of AMLogic Android ball busting bug ridden torture.
Just look at his Avatar. I'm sure that Be-speckled fella had a Full head of Hair when AML Android Kodi first started ! Rofl

(2016-11-30, 14:11)wrxtasy Wrote: PS. This is Koying way of getting back at AML users for all those years of AMLogic Android ball busting bug ridden torture.

Hehe... Nope. Just trying to make it easy to devices which *actually* have a touchscreen Wink
(2016-11-30, 12:43)Koying Wrote: What is probably happening is that you're using the tabled/phone skin ("re-touched") because your firmware says your box is a tablet.
OK, that sure sounds like a plausible explanation.

And sorry about my wisecrack about you confusing people. I really was rather seriously confused by this very different UI/skin, but if what you say it true, then clearly it ain't your fault, and the radically different skin is a "feature" rather than a drawback.

Quote:Just switch back to confluence.
Ummmm... OK. You don't have to ask me twice! I'd love to do exactly that!

...tap tap tap...

Oh, man! This is lovely! Kodi is back!!!! (Well, it was always there, of course, but now it feels like Kodi again.) Yessss! ... tap tap tap... And now I've got the passthough working! Yipee!

So, um, I guess I owe everybody an apology. My bad. I've been using Kodi for well more than 2 years now and I have never changed the skin on it or used anything other than Confluence. I just never saw the need. And in fact, I had gotten the impression that if I ever did want to change the skin to something different, I would first have to explicitly & manually download whatever new skin I wanted. So I had no idea, and really no way of knowing/expecting/anticipating that SPMC, by default, would come pre-packaged with two different skins. It just didn't occur to me that that was even a possibility.

So, anyway, yea, I guess you're right. I guess this box probably has some manufacturer firmware bit set somplace that says its a phone, even though it quite clearly ain't. Not your fault that you trusted the way the manufacturer had that bit (incorrectly) set.

So, anyway, I'm in heaven. Everything is working perfect now. May peace, love and joy be upon you all now in this holiday season.

P.S. Is the Beelink MiniMX III the only cheap Chinese box that has this particular bit of goofyness? If it's a common problem on these things, then it might be Good to have some sort of preliminary first-run user interaction where the user is asked explicitly "Is this a phone or a TV box?" and then sets the skin accordingly. (That might prevent you from getting distracted by other morons like me who also can't figure out... and start asking about... why everything looks and feels so different, why passthough ain't working, etc.) Just a thought, probably worth what you paid for it.
(2016-11-30, 13:17)kdnoel Wrote: Sling remains unreliable...
Sling is also entirely less-than-good on this Beelink MiniMX III. Mostly it works, but there is some seriously tragic drain bamage with respect to what the supplied remote buttons actually do, making the whole thing essentially unusable (which is the main motivation for me also getting a Fire TV, where I hope the bugs will have been worked out a bit better).

But to bring this back on topic for this forum....

This is the problem with (the poor software guys) trying to cater to a market where every manufacturer does things just slightly different, where there are like umpteen thousand different remotes, etc. Of course, Kodi and SPMC do this admirably better that just about anybody else, including, apparently, Sling (and also NewsOn) despite those outfits having paid staff who are supposed to be working on debugging this stuff.
I bet you are glad that is all sorted. Proper Deinterlacing and 5.1 Passthrough Audio using SPMC !

Now you are familiar with changing Skins - you may like to install a nice simple, elegant Skin from my favourite Skinner @jurialmunkey.

Skin - Eminence 2.0

To install > In Kodi Settings > Addons > Install from .zip > navigate to Eminence saved location > Be patient as support Addons are installed Smile

(2016-12-01, 03:05)wrxtasy Wrote: I bet you are glad that is all sorted. Proper Deinterlacing and 5.1 Passthrough Audio using SPMC !
YESSSSSSSSSSS! Fantastic. The best of everything. (And the Beelink box will still play my old VC-1/WMV files... with HW acceleration... which, if I have read the specs properly, my soon-to-be-delivered Fire TV won't be capable of.)
Quote:Now you are familiar with changing Skins - you may like to install a nice simple, elegant Skin from my favourite Skinner @jurialmunkey.
Ummm... thanks, but actually, no thanks.

I know that lots of people love all these different skins, but for me, changing skins is just asking for trouble. (Look at all the trouble I made for myself when I was using a dfferent skin and didn't even know it.)

I've been using Confluence already for 2+ years. If I tried changing now, it would be as if you took the brake and accelerator pedals on my car and reversed them.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Time to get a Fire TV(v2)? ... just a couple of questions0