Windows 10 Tablet as ALL IN ONE control unit for media center
Hi guys!

I have been searching like crazy the last couple of days trying to figure out how to set up my bedroom theater with a tablet as control unit.

I currently have a regular HD TV and my Windows 10 laptop hooked up to it through HDMI, pretty straight forward. But I am getting really annoyed over wireless mouse and keyboard in my bed and/or several different apps for my smartphone etc.

So what i am trying to do is looking for a way to implement this Win10 tab i have been looking at into the setup, so i could use the tab as the media center it self, or at least control my laptop or maybe a cheap stick pc or what ever, with a mirror or cast display to the tablet so i can control everything through touch from my bed.

1. The tab only have one OTG micro usb output but both android and windows10 on it, a cabled solution could be an option as long as it can charge at same time also, not sure if thats possible? MHL cable?

2. Then there could be a Chromecast or something like that, but from what i see there is both delay and other problems?

3. Since both my laptop and the tablet runs Windows 10 i could maybe just keep my laptop as media center and then mirror the laptop display to the tab through the build in wireless display thing... but could that run smoothly?

4. I also have a PS3 hooked up mostly for Bluray but since it has DLNA i could maybe use that as receiver for the tablet and spare the laptop in my setup?

Alternatively i could look into another tablet that just had HDMI, but of possible i would prefer i could use the one i looked at since it suits my other needs also.

Whats my options here? Im lost lol
Buy an Android tablet and install kore or yatse. I am not aware of any win 10 remote controllers.

EDIT fixed spelling of yatse, bloody tablet autocorrect!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The tablet has both win10 and android. And I'm looking for a solution so i can control the whole computer
Two alternatives come to mind:

1) use a web browser and the web interface. Just point IE or edge (or any other browser) at the IP address of your Kodi installation. The default interface is a bit basic, but it is useable and there are other options in the repo under web interface.

2) install unified remote with the server on your Kodi device and the remote app on your tablet in the Android part (I don't think there is a remote app for pure windows, just for windows phone which does work on those).

Or just use Kore or Yatse Nick said.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I use Microsoft's 'Mouse without borders' (Google it for more detail) which allows you to transfer your pointer to a remote PC so you can use your local pointer and (virtual) keyboard on the remote PC as if you were using the local one. I use it with my touchpad and keyboard, so I can't say it will definitely work well with a W10 tablet. But it's free - so nothing to lose!

Andy
Ok this is a hard one to crack lol... but I think some sort of remote desktop is what im looking!

I bought the Android/Win10 tablet, since it has both OS. Waiting for it in the mail.

I also bought and hooked up a Gigabyte Mini PC running Win10 to work as the media center it self, and was hoping I could use the Wireless Display function, unfortunately it is not supported on the Mini PC Sad So that eliminates that

So i tried Splashtop which actually seems very cool as a remote desktop, it works so-so on my android phone but kinda freezes/lags a lot a lot of the times.

But i like the idea of having the same screen on the tablet, so i can bring it to the kitchen etc and still watching and controlling from where ever..

Whats the best option for a smooth remote desktop running on either the android part or windows?

Or other alternatives?
Why not use Kore or Yatse, honestly I cannot see why you need to replicate the screen.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Because i want complete remote control over the entire computer without using several apps
OK then this is NOT a kodi question is it?

EDIT: moved to off-topic.
(2016-12-02, 05:35)kfx00 Wrote: I also bought and hooked up a Gigabyte Mini PC running Win10 to work as the media center it self, and was hoping I could use the Wireless Display function, unfortunately it is not supported on the Mini PC Sad So that eliminates that

So i tried Splashtop which actually seems very cool as a remote desktop, it works so-so on my android phone but kinda freezes/lags a lot a lot of the times.

But i like the idea of having the same screen on the tablet, so i can bring it to the kitchen etc and still watching and controlling from where ever..

Running a remote desktop showing video over wifi is unlikely to work well. Remote desktop programs are not designed to make the best use of the limited wifi bandwidth for video. I think you're chasing a solution that isn't there.

Sorry,

Andy
Get a HDMI over CAT Converter, or make it your self, get some Cat6 Solid Cable and just run everything over Cat, no need to get new Hardware, i run USB2.0 over Cat6 Solid cable, its Perfect no emi interference everything is shielded

Info:
HDMI over Cat 6 extender extends HDMI connection up to 150 feet between an HDMI source such as computer, Blu-ray player, or gaming console and an HDMI display such as HDTV, monitor or projector
Cat6 HDMI balun supports video resolutions up to 1080p and lossless audio formats including LCPM 7.1/5.1 channel surround sound, DTS Digital and Dolby Digital

Crisp clear feeds from PC, no need to cast, mirror, facelift or what ever, place your media center in the basement if you like

Note, Stranded cat 6 works just as well, i just said solid because , i have solid cat 6 running under the floor, but it was laid when i replaced the carpet in my living room with "do it yourself" fake wood floor, so stranded will do no need to start pulling the rug off
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
why not use the "connect" app on you laptop/tablet from win 10.
There you get miracast your screen (like chromecast)
Backend: Asrock N3150 with Ubuntu 22.04 Server with TvHeadend 
Living Room: Nvidia Shield with Kodi
Other Kodi Clients: Coreelec, Mibox, Windows

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 10 Tablet as ALL IN ONE control unit for media center0