I'll just build my own thing to start my HTPC from S5 with an IR remote!
I went looking for various devices to start a PC from S5 since my HTPCs use Asus mobos that have no such thing as 'Wake on USB' except when in S4 or S3, but not S5. So I decided I'd just build one that suited my needs. It'll be a couple of weeks until it's finished since I have a job and other obligations but yeah.

The long and the sort of it is that it will watch for the 'Power' button's IR signal from my MCE remote and when it see's it, it will activate the relay that will short the PWR pin on the motherboard. A 5.25" bay will be modded to mount the IR sensor so it can peek out through a small hole and see what's going on in the world. A USB2 header on the motherboard will be used for power since it will provided 5v standby power even in S5. The most important thing is that when pressed for 4 seconds, it will short the PWR pins for 4 seconds and force the mobo to reboot even if Windows has completely hung. This '4 second power' is the function I found critically missing from any other solutions out there. If that thing is hung, I don't want to have to get off my couch.

Only about $30 CAD for the core components here, everything else is just wires.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I'll just build my own thing to start my HTPC from S5 with an IR remote!0