[Feature Request] Option to disable on-screen keyboard
+1
+1 especially for users that have MX3 type remotes. A simple enable/disable option in the system settings menu.
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
I signed up just to fanboy rave about how much I've wished for this feature.
yes, please. it's almost unusable with my Sony TV remote. (arrow keys and OK button)
Sorry for digging up such an old request, but this is an absolute +1 for me.

- On a (yet not so small) Android phone, the keyboard is a nightmare. We need needle-fingers to write anything.
- On an AndroidTV, there is no better option than the actual OS keyboard.
- On a desktop Windows/Mac/Linux, it is pretty much useless.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it feelds like it is a legacy (and useful at the time) feature from an XBMC era.
I guess it is still used in some cases, but it is an UI nightmare for most users.
(2021-11-24, 14:02)Glubibulga Wrote: Maybe I'm wrong, but it feelds like it is a legacy (and useful at the time) feature from an XBMC era.
I guess it is still used in some cases, but it is an UI nightmare for most users.

Not legacy at all.

Kodi is primarily designed to be used with a remote, even when used on Windows/Linux, as it's meant to be what is commonly called a 10ft UI, in order words a UI that is suitable for display on a TV and easily viewed and controlled while sat on your sofa.
If the keyboard is still there, by default, that's OK.
But the original feature request is still valid, for all the other reasons.

I'll add some accessibility to the reasons already mentioned by everyone.
Using the OS keyboard, if available, makes everything better for someone with any severe disability.

From high-contrast, to huge letters, along with vocal control, and really specific (sometimes custom made) Android keyboards controlled with anything that can be plugged to a device...
Delegating the keyboard to the OS one makes everything easier in those very specific cases.

I'm pretty sure it is the right thing to do™.
Personally, I would rather not have to install multiple IMEs in Windows to get the windows virtual keyboard but that may just be me.  I guess I could implement a hook to an online virtual keyboard, but don't really want to send my keystrokes out to unknown data collectors.

scott s.
(2021-11-24, 14:02)Glubibulga Wrote: On a desktop Windows/Mac/Linux, it is pretty much useless.

Yep! Every time you need to input something from the real keyboard (designed for HTPC) it's a pain. Often I just rather open the system file manager if i need to edit something...  

(2021-11-24, 18:11)jjd-uk Wrote: Kodi is primarily designed to be used with a remote, even when used on Windows/Linux, as it's meant to be what is commonly called a 10ft UI, in order words a UI that is suitable for display on a TV and easily viewed and controlled while sat on your sofa.

Well I think mini-keyboards with touchpads (or air-mouse) are very popular too.  10ft UI is ok, but the problem is that on-screen keyboard is just useless for users who prefer real keyboards e.g. Logitech K830.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Feature Request] Option to disable on-screen keyboard4