Filter movies by runtime
Hey guys,

I've been using Kodi for several years and there is one thing I find is sorely missing still: being able to filter the movies by runtime.

It's possible to filter by so many things (year, rating, genre) but not runtime which for me is actually the most important. When I sit down at night, I roughly know how much time I have. Sometimes it's 90 minutes, sometimes it's 3 hours. Being able to narrow down my movies to the ones that fit into this time frame would be fantastic.

As a workaround I created a playlist for various fixed runtime lengths. But that's far from ideal: it's not flexible enough and quite cumbersome.

Please consider adding a filter for runtime (or tell me if there is a workaround) Smile

Regards
Stephan
From the first day i started using XBMC Frodo with the default Confluence skin, i have been able to sort by Title, Year, Rating, My rating, MPAA rating, Duration, Date added and play count.
The sort can be further arranged in Ascending or Descending order.
I assume other skins can likewise select the view options.

So, simply move to the left tab when displaying your movie library, either via remote or mouse, and a "View Options" tab should appear from the left side of the screen where you can select the arrrangement you desire Nod
If you want to sort by runtime, simply sort by "Duration" as it's the same thing.
This then provides a base view using your sort preference which you can further filter by genre, Actor, Director, Studio, etc, as desired Nod

There is nothing sorely missing as such (unless i have compltely missunderstood someting Blush )
I'm a XBMC novice :)
It's true that I can sort by "Duration". But I would argue it's not as powerful as being able to filter be "Duration".

I usually sort by "Year" or "Rating" and then browse the list to be inspired. If I sort by "Duration", then next I need to filter explicitly by "Year" or "Rating". But it's not like I know, oh, I want to watch something from the 60s. I browse to be inspired. But the duration is a hard limit I have, and being able to remove the 'noise' form my browsing list would be very helpful.

So it's not the same. But I get your point, it's close.

I just find it very odd that you can basically filter by virtually everything you can sort by, just not "Duration".
If this isn't something other people desire as well, would there be a way I can hack it into Kodi?
Hm, so according to the Kodi wiki site (http://kodi.wiki/view/Advanced_library_filtering) you can filter songs by duration. so why not movies?
(2016-11-29, 08:52)stephanos Wrote: If this isn't something other people desire as well, would there be a way I can hack it into Kodi?

You could probably right a script to tag all movies with their duration then just browse the different tags.

smart playlists and sorting by duration is probably your best option for now.

It's strange that it's something that's not already available though

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Filter movies by runtime1