v17 HEVC x265 stutterfest, MPC-HC smooth as butter
Clearly Kodi in Windows is not the most efficient option, if there is no possibility to use HW-decoding, 32-bit SW-decoding is putting lot of load on CPU in Kodi. But if you happen to have a modern GPU with HW-decoding support for the latest codecs, Windows-platform is actually a pretty good option. Windows 10/8.1/8 has the support for HEVC Main10 and also driver support especially in NVidia-case is in quite a good shape at the moment. As you have the older generation GPU in your GTX 970, HW-decoding is not possible for 10-bit HEVC-material and SW-decoding will definitely choke your machine. Actually, ANY machine in any OS with the most bitrate heavy material..

So your workaround is to swap your display adapter with GTX 10xx-generation Smile

EDIT: And as @PatK said, you could setup an external player in Kodi just for these HEVC 10-bit -files as GTX 970 is able to HW-decode any 8-bit -material well. I would suggest MPC-BE for that purpose.
You don't have to step up to a pricy GTX 10xx. A GTX 960 will hardware decode just fine. They dropped hardware decoding in your 970 model opting for energy efficiency instead.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2017-01-23, 20:33)brazen1 Wrote: You don't have to step up to a pricy GTX 10xx. A GTX 960 will hardware decode just fine. They dropped hardware decoding in your 970 model opting for energy efficiency instead.

Yep, GTX 960 will do just fine, if you need just the 10-bit HW-decoding support. But just looking the other HW-spec of @debennett2's, I would assume that his machine is not just a media center player...
(2017-01-23, 20:33)brazen1 Wrote: You don't have to step up to a pricy GTX 10xx. A GTX 960 will hardware decode just fine. They dropped hardware decoding in your 970 model opting for energy efficiency instead.

That's what I'm wondering about all of this. I'm typing this from a similar PC with a GTX 780. CAn open those same files on the NAS with WMPMC and they play smooth as butter. So I assume configuration or playback software is to blame. Any viable options in Windows (8.1) in order to playback?
(2017-01-23, 20:48)goodton Wrote:

Yep, GTX 960 will do just fine, if you need just the 10-bit HW-decoding support. But just looking the other HW-spec of @debennett2's, I would assume that his machine is not just a media center player...

I don't follow.
(2017-01-23, 21:01)debennett2 Wrote:
(2017-01-23, 20:48)goodton Wrote:

I don't follow.

Just made a speculation that with your hardware-specification, you might be also gaming with that machine. In that case GTX 960 would be step down in performance. As mentioned before, especially the 64-bit MPC-HC will perform much better than Kodi in SW-decoding and even your weaker PC can outperform it.

Regarding the GTX 960, I would still choose for example GTX 1050 or GTX 1050 Ti instead, if the need is just for HTPC. With those you could have all the newest bells and whistles (HDR, HDMI 2.0b, smaller power consumption, less noise/heat...) with equal or even lower price.
So would the dsplayer spinoff of Kodi do the trick in this case? Anyone have experience with that branch?
Worth of trying, as a Directshow-player you have a different approach and more options to test. In general, the situation of DSPlayer-branch is problematic, there is no active development ongoing at the moment, as it is not part of official Kodi.

According to my own tests the 4k-material easily crashes Kodi with these current DSPlayer-builds, especially with MadVR but there is still active and brave fan base, which is trying combine these two branches. Hopefully they succeed, it is always good to have options. Actually, there is even a 64-bit test version based on Krypton beta6.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEVC x265 stutterfest, MPC-HC smooth as butter0