v17 HEVC x265 stutterfest, MPC-HC smooth as butter
(2016-11-29, 19:20)oomek Wrote:
(2016-11-29, 17:08)raidflex Wrote: This issue is related to hardware decoding and sync on refresh on Windows 10. If you disable HW decoding and turn off sync to refresh rate the stuttering is gone. Now of course trying to play high bit-rate HEVC 4k content is very taxing on even an i5/i7 CPU. Also currently there is no 4k HEVC 10-bit HW decoding support for linux, at least for NVIDIA GPUs.

This is a completely different issue. The situation you are describing happens when playing x264 with DVXA2 enabled, even on low CPU usage. Playing x265 is always in software and it's using 100% CPU regardless of settings, i've tried all, so please do not mix up topics.

No - our implementation supports h265 in hw quite fine on Windows. Your v17 for 10 bit support and non broken drivers on the windows side obviously.

For linux Nvidia / Intel support h265 8 bit on krypton also just fine.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-11-29, 19:27)fritsch Wrote:
(2016-11-29, 17:08)raidflex Wrote: This issue is related to hardware decoding and sync on refresh on Windows 10. If you disable HW decoding and turn off sync to refresh rate the stuttering is gone. Now of course trying to play high bit-rate HEVC 4k content is very taxing on even an i5/i7 CPU. Also currently there is no 4k HEVC 10-bit HW decoding support for linux, at least for NVIDIA GPUs.

This is a completely different issue. The situation you are describing happens when playing x264 with DVXA2 enabled, even on low CPU usage. Playing x265 is always in software and it's using 100% CPU regardless of settings, i've tried all, so please do not mix up topics.

No - our implementation supports h265 in hw quite fine on Windows. Your v17 for 10 bit support and non broken drivers on the windows side obviously.

For linux Nvidia / Intel support h265 8 bit on krypton also just fine.

My drivers are up to date, but I don't think that my Radeon R7 240 would support HEVC in hardware even in a future driver updates.

We have identified the issue already as an inefficiency of the 32bit build so there is no point in trying to finding the cause of stuttering on the users machines any further.
(2016-11-29, 17:03)oomek Wrote: It is my barebone config so I'm not entirely sure what you mean saying about those bells and whistles. This config has just a pvr addon enabled and it's soley used for debug logging. Anyway it makes no difference if I disable Simple PVR.
If there's an errant piece of software in this set-up, my idea was to pare this down to the essence of Kodi, and not carry any of the extras or potential overlays. If you're comfortable with your set-up, far be it for me to make suggestions.
Quote:We have identified the issue already as an inefficiency of the 32bit build
Not to my satisfaction, as suggested in the previous posts.
@oomek you seem to ignore or dismiss comments even from one of our most knowledgeable and talented developers. Why did you ask in the first place?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
In fact the truth is a bit more complicated. We had a 64 bit testbuild running with ffmpeg 64 at devcon and performance sucked the same way :-). It even sucked so hard that local files from SSD started to hang when filesystem thread tried to load the next chunks of data :-). So not there yet. But also to be honest: It's currently on no one's list ... which does not mean that volunteers would not be welcome.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-11-29, 21:19)nickr Wrote: @oomek you seem to ignore or dismiss comments even from one of our most knowledgeable and talented developers. Why did you ask in the first place?

It's because I have a strange personal feeling that all the people do here is swipe through the log with hope that they find something to blame the user for so they can close the subject and move along.
I provided a log from a new profile which I use for debugging the movie player and the tv addon which is the part of the kodi package, nothing external, what elese do you need?
(2016-11-29, 22:43)fritsch Wrote: In fact the truth is a bit more complicated. We had a 64 bit testbuild running with ffmpeg 64 at devcon and performance sucked the same way :-). It even sucked so hard that local files from SSD started to hang when filesystem thread tried to load the next chunks of data :-). So not there yet. But also to be honest: It's currently on no one's list ... which does not mean that volunteers would not be welcome.

I totally get that this takes time so I don't fault the devs for a 64bit windows build being available, but if you're looking for people to test out 64bit builds, I'd love to help there. Smile

Actually HEVC hardware decoding works in Kodi 17 on Windows 10 with my GTX 1050.
(2016-11-30, 17:06)raidflex Wrote:

Actually HEVC hardware decoding works in Kodi 17 on Windows 10 with my GTX 1050.

As you seem to have the pretty much same HW/SW-setup as in my HTPC, I'm interested to hear, have you found any solution to this strange stutter issue with higher bit rate material, especially easy to see in HEVC 4k Main10? I have also noticed that certain combination of Kodi-settings in Krypton triggers this phenomenom. True Fullscreen, HW-acceleration=ON and Adjust To Refreshrate=Always are pretty much mandatory for my use case but has this side effect, that high(er) bit rate videos will stutter and also the audio will drift out-of-sync. By overlaying certain information on screen will remove the stutter and also recover the audio sync. Most effective seem to be PlayerDebug screen (CTRL-SHIFT-O) which by default is rendered efficiently. With that information overlaid, video is smooth and synced, actually I haven't yet found any video file which does not play great on this setup due to working HW-acceleration of GTX 1050. For example the very high bit rate sample file jellyfish-400-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv from Kodi Wiki video samples is no problem for Krypton in this setup.

Could this be NVidia-driver issue? I don't think so because for example MPC-HC/BE does not have this problem. Could it be the 32-bit nature of Kodi vs. 64-bit players, hard to say? As the new videoplayer in Krypton has been under heavy modification and what I have understood mostly rewritten, it is quite understandable that this kind of tricky bugs can still be present also.
There is a fundamental issue in windows :-) (but this is only my feeling, I cannot proof it yet and while debugging with paxxi we did not find out what it is). The funny thing: Something stalled that heavily that even reading data from SSD did not work anymore, render hung and decode, too.
(2016-12-24, 09:56)fritsch Wrote: There is a fundamental issue in windows :-) (but this is only my feeling, I cannot proof it yet and while debugging with paxxi we did not find out what it is). The funny thing: Something stalled that heavily that even reading data from SSD did not work anymore, render hung and decode, too.

Yes, this is a tricky one and root cause might be hard to find. On the other hand, seems that same issue or at least pretty much same symptoms have been discovered also in Linux-forum:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=299115

Additionally this issue, at least in my case, is not present in Kodi 16.1. Of course the HEVC Main10 -HW-decoding is not supported there but according to my observations, this is not HEVC-specific issue. Just enough bit rate on video file and this will phenomenom will trigger. Somehow I have started to think that the main contributor to this issue is the HW-accelerated decoding, which on the other hand works great on Krypton (when it works Smile
Not really ... they track windows bug nowadays on linux forum.
(2016-12-25, 21:48)fritsch Wrote: Not really ... they track windows bug nowadays on linux forum.

OK, good to know. Nevertheless, this particular thread to which I referenced, was started by a user who is on Linux-platform. The symptoms are surprisingly similar.
Hi, I have the same issue.

When I play video HEVC 10p 1080p under MPC-HC my CPU is around 30%.

When I play the same video under Kodi Krypton RC my CPU is around 100%.

My cpu is intel N3150 braswell which has HEVC hardware support.

I have the latest graphic drivers.

So there must be a glitch.

Any suggestion?? Im very unhappy with those results...
Suggestion? Libreelec.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEVC x265 stutterfest, MPC-HC smooth as butter0