Any news on official KODI app for Apple TV?
(2016-11-30, 12:03)wsnipex Wrote: Not a single of those PRs is from MrMC, you seem to confuse following the GPL with contributing code back to kodi.

Do you know what a strawman argument is? Just because he doesn't want to deal with the bullcrap and the drama doesn't mean he isn't working directly with Team Kodi developers and contributing code. One does not have to be the person to make a PR in order to contribute to a project. If Davilla only wanted to comply with the GPL then he wouldn't be helping Memphiz or pointing out specific patches to people like Fernet. But you don't like what he's doing, so you'll move the goal posts and shit on his hard work.

IMO, Davilla understands the spirit of open source better than you do.
(2016-11-30, 17:57)Ned Scott Wrote: IMO, Davilla understands the spirit of open source better than you do.

really, mind elaborating on that?
(2016-11-30, 12:24)Koying Wrote:
(2016-11-30, 12:03)wsnipex Wrote: Not a single of those PRs is from MrMC, you seem to confuse following the GPL with contributing code back to kodi.

I totally confirm davilla isn't doing PR's to Kodi or SPMC (from which MrMC is heavily "inspired" on the Android/FireTV side)

You, of all people, I had hoped would understand why someone would not want to PR things directly to Kodi. You don't have to like the guy to see that what he's doing has helped the project. Him being a jerk or whatever you guys think doesn't change the code. Be fair about it.
I'm just stating the fact, I've no feelings about it Wink
I do my shopping at MrMC at each of their releases and he does the same...
Fair enough, sorry for the harsh response.
I searched and found this Thread and some more. Since this was moved to general i think im gonna borrow this thread to (sadly) ask that question once more But abit different so that My retarded brain can understand.

FIRST
I use kodi only for playing My own local media that are zipped/RARed into many files.
And only use Subtitle function to get subs to My content.
I do not use any addons or function at all (except subtitles).

I bought MrMc after some questions if that could handle zipped files as it could. Hardware on Apple tv 4 is enligt to get it done aswell. But i have problem with saving subtitles files (it wont for me), But Thats is on an other forum...
I have sideloaded kodi once (7-days) and Tried it. EVERYTHING is as expected with playback of my content and subtitles download to custom location (wich dont work on paid MrMc).

So My question(s)
Why is kodi stoppad in AppStore? I mean why cant you guys strip it down to MrMc's level (But with a working subtitles function).
What i understand is some kind of Python addon is a big no no in AppStore? What i Tried to understand that its something with the actual subtitles function?
And i know its alot of work doing this kind of stuff. I cant even paint a "house" in actuall paint...
My point question is, why cant it be stripped down so that it gets accepted as a media player on AppStore? Smile

Sorry if i steps on someone toe to ask this that have been asked 100times (i think). If it enrages you, then just ignore this post.

Anyway i still wanna thank you for everything you have Done in My life so far Wink

Ps. I would Love to pay for it aswell!
if you strip it down to be accepted on Apples AppStore you basically end up with a fork, thus something like MrMC. Some time ago, subtitles in Kodi had been moved from core to add-ons (python IIRC) which is a no-go for the AppStore, so the subtitles feature would have to be implemented back into the core application, which MrMC did, along with getting rid of certain other things.

Also, Kodi is known for to deliver the full feature set on every platform, and we're not going to change that just to please Apple

edit: btw, don't buy anything iOS if you want software freedom Wink
(2017-04-25, 09:15)Proxy Wrote: So My question(s)
Why is kodi stoppad in AppStore? I mean why cant you guys strip it down to MrMc's level (But with a working subtitles function).
What i understand is some kind of Python addon is a big no no in AppStore? What i Tried to understand that its something with the actual subtitles function?
And i know its alot of work doing this kind of stuff. I cant even paint a "house" in actuall paint...
My point question is, why cant it be stripped down so that it gets accepted as a media player on AppStore? Smile
Kodi's core has an integrated Python interpreter (Python script engine), and this Python interpreter (Python script engine) allows Kodi to run Python script, plugin, and widget addon. The subtitles addon in Kodi is such a Python script. Some years back the Apple App Store rule was that it did not accepting any additional scripting language layer, such as an integrated Python interpreter (Python script engine).

Kodi also includes FFmpeg which has quite a few revense engineered software video/audio decoders that would require licenses or be disabled before approved in the Apple App Store, though I believe that it is essentially this mentioned Python interpreter (Python script engine) that at least before was the main argument why Kodi have previously not been allowed in the Apple App Stores. That is at least the reason why Amazon denied Kodi's acceptance to the Amazon AppStore for its Fire TV devices. I am however no longer sure that is the case for the Apple App Store any longer as Apple does allow a few other Python interpreters (Python script engines) in the Apple App Store today, so the rules about scripting language layer might have hanced, as seen in these examples:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/developer/jo...d485729875
https://itunes.apple.com/se/developer/om...d285608316
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pythoni3...33449?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/codetogo...77229?mt=8

Anyway, disabling all software video/audio decoders that would require licenses and stripping down Kodi by removing its integrated Python interpreter (Python script engine) from Kodi's core, and yes you can still use Kodi without those Python scripts/plugins/widgets addons, but it would no longer make Kodi be "Kodi", ...it would instead make it into other application, much like MrMC.

But since Kodi is a open source software licensed under GPL anyone with the skills could however strip down Kodi by disabling all software video/audio decoders that would require licenses and removing its integrated Python interpreter (Python script engine) as long as they fully rebrand it to not violate trademarks/copyrights they could in theory just submit it to Apple App Store themselves.

However it might be of more interest to try once again to convince Apple to accept Kodi in its App Store as it is with its integrated Python interpreter (Python script engine) and only all software video/audio decoders that would require licenses. Trouble is that Apple is probably a pain in the behind to work with on an issue like this, and especially now with all the "Kodi pirates" in the news today. Again also look at the situation with Amazon not allowing Kodi to be released the Amazon AppStore for its Fire TV devices. ...at least Microsoft is appently more willing to work with Team-Kodi if rumours are true.

On a related side-note you should note that Kodi v18 (Leia) will also come with "RetroPlayer" which is an implementation of integrated libretro game library that will allow Kodi to nativly run game emulators for retro gaming consoles, and game emulators is another thing that is not allowed in Apple App Store, so you would have to strip that Game API out to, or at least disable the libretro so that Kodi could not run game emulators as addons.
(2017-04-25, 09:55)da-anda Wrote: edit: btw, don't buy anything iOS if you want software freedom Wink

That. If you want a kodi-like on tvOS via appstore, use MrMC (and be happy they exist).
Part of their price is the hassle and licenses to have Kodi running on a closed and restricted ecosystem.

Apple just hates apps like us, even sideloaded, or they wouldn't have put down the signature validity from 3 months to 1 week.
Damn guys! Thank you so so much for all the explanations! So very helpful.
I totally understand that you dont want to strip down kodi just to please Apple. And why i wondered about the "strip down" i just because i only use that function. Smile But totally have understanding you dont want to pick down a lamborghini to pieces and just leave it with wheels, steering and engine just because someone says that should be a standard. Smile
iOS sucks at freedom Sad But i admire their reliability and stability on their stuff.
And u mention i should be happy MrMc exists and trust me, i am! Without that application i would need to buy an extra harddrive around 100bucks (or another media center for more). But it seems like when they moved the Subtitle function to the core and aint working for me, then i cant use it to 100% Sad

Anyway once more, Thanks alot for your guys spending time explaining to me!
You paid for MrMc - go to theor Support forum and post their until they eventually fix your issue...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2017-04-26, 07:19)Memphiz Wrote: You paid for MrMc - go to theor Support forum and post their until they eventually fix your issue...

I have already been there. But when i Tried to sideload kodi and see it worked 100% (with all SMB Windows acces), then i dropped it. And they Tried to help me. But Aldo they told me it worked for them. Maybe i go back there when i wanna fight with the software and run back and forth and see if im doing stuff wrong. Because the logs only Telia that it cant download subtitles. So the developers dont quite understand (except they think its access problem to My conputer) Smile
(2017-04-25, 10:26)Koying Wrote:
(2017-04-25, 09:55)da-anda Wrote: edit: btw, don't buy anything iOS if you want software freedom Wink

That. If you want a kodi-like on tvOS via appstore, use MrMC (and be happy they exist).
Part of their price is the hassle and licenses to have Kodi running on a closed and restricted ecosystem.

Apple just hates apps like us, even sideloaded, or they wouldn't have put down the signature validity from 3 months to 1 week.
There is a way to get the Full Monty - Kodi Krypton version on to an AppleTV4 and use it for longer than 1 week - using a paid for (yearly) - 3rd party App resigning service. This has nothing to do with MrMC.

However Apple occasionally cracks down on dubious Developer Certificates that have been used to resign Apps in this way.

There is plenty of info on the Web if you look hard enough Wink

BTW: I will not be posting links or responding to PM's with details about this method.

Even proposing this method is not really in my mindset tbh. But hey - free forum ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any news on official KODI app for Apple TV?0