PVR guide / EPG not updating in Kodi 16.1
I have an issue where the EPG/Guide is not updating with new content unless I restart Kodi (currently restarting via crontab as a workaround).

I've checked in the TVHeadend web interface and that is fully populated with current EPG data so that appears to work ok.
If I go into Kodi's TV settings and clear EPG data, or clear general TV date, Kodi only loads incomplete schedules, not the full schedules stored in tvheadend.

I've also tried caching and not caching EPG data in the local database

So as I stated, my work around is to restart Kodi.
Has anyone else experienced this, have a work around, or is it a configuration issue or possible bug.

(Kodi running on Linux Mint 18, Linux KODI-MINT 3.16.38-031638-generic #201610210434 SMP Fri Oct 21 08:36:09 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)
HTS Tvheadend 4.1-2330~g3a113b6
Check the PVR client settings and see if your "asynchronous guide updates" enabled. If so, disable it. This setting has Tvheadend constantly stream the guide info to Kodi, but doesn't send the initial guide information completely. Turning this option off seems to alleviate the problem. (At least, it did for me, especially on lower power devices like RPi.)
Thanks for the response. I just checked and "asynchronous guide updates" is already disabled.
Are you waiting until the PVR manager has fully loaded and the notification for guide data loading is complete before browsing the guide? I've noticed if I open the guide before all of the guide data has been read from the backend, then the guide view in Kodi is incomplete and sometimes will not update until I reboot.
Yes, always wait until the loading dialogue reaches 100% and disappears before checking guide
I'm also having this problem with my RPi2 with media portal as a backend and now also on TvHeadend backend on the same Rpi2. Works great after restart then the loss seams to happen after the 3 day limit setting and never updates after that until a restart happens. The full screen guide is blank but the live tv channel list shows the guide data just fine.
The only other thing that I can really guess at might be either a disk or network issue. The disk issue seems more likely, as it could be that while running it is writing to the disk but incompletely.

If it is a disk issue, it may be related to filesystem drivers. I noticed that you are using a rather old kernel (3.16), and current kernels are either 4.4 for LTS for 4.8 for stable. If you were running on ARM or some platform that needed specific drivers I could understand the older kernel; but otherwise I can see no reason to be running anything earlier than 4.0. There have been great changes and updates to the kernel since 4.0, and it would really make sense to upgrade.

The same comments regarding disk/filesystem issues drivers also applies to network drivers.
I've had this happen on Jarvis but not on Krypton. Usually if I switch channel groups in the timeline view the guide is magically updated so it seems that the guide data is there but it is not shown until switching groups.
Kodi @ NVidia Shield Android TV, Asrock J3455-ITX (LibreELEC Server), Windows 10, and Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:I noticed that you are using a rather old kernel (3.16)

Yes, and this is intentional. The processor is an Intel® Celeron® CPU J1900, and there is a bug in kernels > 3.16 which causes frequent lock ups.

Quote:The only other thing that I can really guess at might be either a disk or network issue
It's definitely a kodi issue. EPG data is stored OK as it is available to the TVheadend web interface. It is almost as if there is no update/refresh of the PVR EPG taking place periodically
Have you found a solution to your updating issue? I have the same problem. EPG will update if I restart Kodi or if I clear data from tv settings. I am using NextPVR as my backend with EPG from Schedules direct.

The EPG is always up to date in NextPVR.

(2016-12-10, 13:16)wolf30uk Wrote:
Quote:I noticed that you are using a rather old kernel (3.16)

Yes, and this is intentional. The processor is an Intel® Celeron® CPU J1900, and there is a bug in kernels > 3.16 which causes frequent lock ups.

Quote:The only other thing that I can really guess at might be either a disk or network issue
It's definitely a kodi issue. EPG data is stored OK as it is available to the TVheadend web interface. It is almost as if there is no update/refresh of the PVR EPG taking place periodically
I'm having this same problem. System specs are a RPi 2 running LibreELEC 8.0.2, TVHeadend 4.2 back-end and 3.4.24.1 front-end.

The back-end successfully pulls the EPG from OTA every six hours. Kodi will populate the EPG every time the front-end is restarted (e.g. reboot), but will eventually go blank once the guide data runs out. Restarting the front-end re-populates the EPG. I've changed the PVR settings to update the guide during playback and set the update interval to 60 minutes to no avail. I also toggled asynchronous EPG transfer on/off in the back-end settings, but neither state seemed to make a difference.

EDIT: Increasing the OTA Grabber scan interval to six hours (see above) seems to have fixed the problem. I just needed to wait longer to see everything work as expected. :/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR guide / EPG not updating in Kodi 16.10