• 234(current)
v18 LibreELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 18.0)
(2017-10-11, 12:27)Milhouse Wrote:
(2017-10-11, 12:02)bleep42 Wrote: The improvements in HEVC you have managed are astounding.

I would imagine the recent performance improvement may also help keep temperatures in check, too.

Yes quite likely, :-) though if you move the work from the CPU to the GPU, then the work is still being done, just being shared out more, so who knows, but from my experience the chip temp does seem to be lower now, (while playing HEVC) especially if you are not particularly stressing it, which in my case is most of the time, my test files are way above the quality setting I would normally use for every day use, normal usage will now only prompt 50-60% CPU max usage, which is almost bound to help with temperatures.  ;-)
Kevin.
One of my HEVC 10-bit 1080p videos stopped working with build #1010. I can upload a sample if needed.
(2017-10-09, 19:25)Mike74 Wrote: Since version #1002 my TV doesnt switch to 3D Mode when i playback a 3D MKV-Movie

+1
I'm currently ripping a Bluray series to MKV files so I can watch it with Kodi. It's all working well, but I have one episode so far where LibreELEC uses the second audio stream (English) instead of the first one (German). Other players like VLC handle the file correctly. The VLC codec informations are 100% identical. I also scanned the files with "MediaArea MediaInfo" which also gives identical results.

Any idea what could be the reason for this?

Edit: Rescanning the library did fix this. I guess you can't just replace older files with new ones. Maybe Kodi uses the audio track information it found during the initial scan and ignores the actual audio track information when starting a video?
(2017-10-11, 12:27)Milhouse Wrote:
(2017-10-11, 12:02)bleep42 Wrote: The improvements in HEVC you have managed are astounding.

I would imagine the recent performance improvement may also help keep temperatures in check, too.

I upgraded from #0922 to #1010 and watching a HEVC concert today, saw the overheat icon for the first time in a long time. It only lasted a minute, but it is not something I have seen recently with these beta builds and not on that specific file in a long time.
(2017-10-11, 16:39)smp1 Wrote: One of my HEVC 10-bit 1080p videos stopped working with build #1010. I can upload a sample if needed.

I have a file that now requires more gpu mem than before. Can you check if increasing gpu mem fixes your issue?
If it still fails with, say, gpu_mem=512 then post a sample.

I have asked John to look into the increased memory usage to see if it can be avoided.
(2017-10-12, 03:16)J_E_F_F Wrote: I upgraded from #0922 to #1010 and watching a HEVC concert today, saw the overheat icon for the first time in a long time. It only lasted a minute, but it is not something I have seen recently with these beta builds and not on that specific file in a long time.

ffmpeg normally achieves multi-core parallelism by decoding multiple frames in parallel.
But sometimes due to dependencies this is not possible (e.g. frames depending on an I frame that is currently being decoded).
In this case you may see kodi dropping frames even though cpu is much less than 400% (4 cores maxed).

The last update added some within-frame parallelism for files encoded with tiles or wpp (wavefront parallel processing) which can help this situation.
But it may make the 4 arm cores busier for short periods which may increase temperature.

Really the only solution is to improve cooling. The Flirc/Kodi case is highly recommended.
You may also find that decreasing arm_freq / over_voltage will keep temperatures down (and with the continued performance improvements that may be feasible).

Keep the sdram and core/v3d overclock as they don't affect heat as much as the arm and do provide a useful performance benefit.
(2017-10-12, 12:21)popcornmix Wrote: I have a file that now requires more gpu mem than before. Can you check if increasing gpu mem fixes your issue?
Increasing gpu mem to 320 fixed it.
(2017-10-12, 12:30)popcornmix Wrote:
(2017-10-12, 03:16)J_E_F_F Wrote: I upgraded from #0922 to #1010 and watching a HEVC concert today, saw the overheat icon for the first time in a long time. It only lasted a minute, but it is not something I have seen recently with these beta builds and not on that specific file in a long time.

ffmpeg normally achieves multi-core parallelism by decoding multiple frames in parallel.
But sometimes due to dependencies this is not possible (e.g. frames depending on an I frame that is currently being decoded).
In this case you may see kodi dropping frames even though cpu is much less than 400% (4 cores maxed).

The last update added some within-frame parallelism for files encoded with tiles or wpp (wavefront parallel processing) which can help this situation.
But it may make the 4 arm cores busier for short periods which may increase temperature.

Really the only solution is to improve cooling. The Flirc/Kodi case is highly recommended.
You may also find that decreasing arm_freq / over_voltage will keep temperatures down (and with the continued performance improvements that may be feasible).

Keep the sdram and core/v3d overclock as they don't affect heat as much as the arm and do provide a useful performance benefit.

Thanks, I've commented out arm_freq=1300 and over_voltage=4, and I do already have gpu_mem_1024=320
My Pi's are mounted vertically in open air with heart sinks installed.

What were the ssh commands to show how many times the heat/governor has kicked in, and also to show how many dropped frames?  
(2017-10-12, 12:30)popcornmix Wrote: Really the only solution is to improve cooling. The Flirc/Kodi case is highly recommended.

Just ordered one, thanks for the tip!
(2017-10-12, 14:12)J_E_F_F Wrote: What were the ssh commands to show how many times the heat/governor has kicked in

You can use "bcmstat.sh y" to monitor undervoltage, frequency cap and thermal throttle events.

(2017-10-12, 14:12)J_E_F_F Wrote: and also to show how many dropped frames?

You can enable the PlayerDebug overlay from ssh with:
Code:
kodi-send --action=playerdebug

or map "PlayerDebug" to a button on your remote.

Alternatively, add "<loglevel>1</loglevel>" in advancedsettings.xml, restart Kodi, then:
Code:
tail -F /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.log | grep drop:
Total dropped and skipped frames will be reported when playback is ended. This has the advantage of not wasting CPU time displaying the overlay which can itself be the cause of dropped frames.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2017-10-12, 14:12)J_E_F_F Wrote:
(2017-10-12, 12:30)popcornmix Wrote:

Thanks, I've commented out arm_freq=1300 and over_voltage=4, and I do already have gpu_mem_1024=320
My Pi's are mounted vertically in open air with heart sinks installed.

What were the ssh commands to show how many times the heat/governor has kicked in, and also to show how many dropped frames?  

OK, this is really weird, if I comment out arm_freq and/or over_voltage, and reboot, Kodi just freezes, I cannot control it via remote (phone or usb/bluetooth)  if I set arm_freq=1200, the same thing, Kodi freezes and can't be controlled.  Is some other setting here linked/dependent on my arm_freq being 1300?

[pi3]
arm_freq=1300
core_freq=500
gpu_freq=500
dtparam=sd_overclock=83
over_voltage=2
sdram_freq=580
over_voltage_sdram=5
sdram_schmoo=0x02000020
New LibreELEC.tv Leia build #1012: RPi / RPi2
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 4.13.5 #1 Fri Oct 13 00:42:00 BST 2017 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Oct 11 2017 23:27:47
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version e5ad4a8e9f183413eb4f7fc4a7687886c715f739 (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
LibreELEC (Milhouse): devel-20171013004051-#1012-gcc8ff85 [Build #1012]

# Kodi version
(18.0-ALPHA1 Git:9c21b99). Platform: Linux ARM 32-bit

Based on tip of LibreELEC.tv master (cc8ff85, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (9c21b99, changelog) with the following modifications: Build Highlights:
  1. New firmware
  2. Add RTL8812AU and RTL8814AU from aircrack-ng; update RTL8188EU
  3. Update LE service wrapper
Build Details:
  1. Firmware (Oct 11):
    • firmware: pwm_sdm multi-write support. See: link
  2. LibreELEC.tv:
    • hyperion: update to 1c21232 (PR:2082, 1 commit, 3 files changed)
    • OC2,WH,WP2: Allow updates between aarch64 and arm (PR:2070, 1 commit, 3 files changed)
    • add addon broken support to addon building (PR:2068, 2 commits, 3 files changed)
    • AArch64 projects: add 32-bit userspace support (PR:2087, 1 commit, 35 files changed)
    • tools/docker: add build container (PR:2077, 2 commits, 3 files changed)
    • scripts/mkimage: rename gpt partitions and use generated serial number (PR:2076, 2 commits, 2 files changed)
    • add support for optional kernel modules in image and from addons (PR:1835, 10 commits, 39 files changed)
    • linux: fix PKG_DEPENDS_TARGET (PR:2093, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • kodi: correct URL in service addon wrapper header (PR:2094, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • added EFI 32bit support via GRUB2 (PR:2061, 6 commits, 5 files changed)
    • game.libretro: but PKG_REV to 104 (PR:2095, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
  3. XBMC:
    • Joysticks: Fix accelerometers preventing screensaver (PR:12892, 2 commits, 5 files changed)
    • Several compiler warnings and code improvements (PR:12883, 10 commits, 17 files changed)
    • drm rework and atomic prep (PR:12911, 7 commits, 12 files changed)
    • VideoPlayer: keyframes (PR:12912, 3 commits, 9 files changed)
    • Estuary: Add game add-ons widget to homescreen games tab (PR:12909, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • [PVR] Handle addon enabled|disabled via CAddonMgr events. (PR:12905, 1 commit, 8 files changed)
    • [PVR] Make EPG database threadsafe. (PR:12906, 1 commit, 7 files changed)
    • RetroPlayer: Fix black screen on OpenGL (PR:12907, 3 commits, 7 files changed)
    • Revert "VideoPlayer: keyframes" (PR:12916, 1 commit, 9 files changed)
    • fixed: fix multitrack support for audio decoders (PR:12870, 3 commits, 7 files changed)
    • VideoPlayer: render gui layer on first frame (PR:12915, 1 commit, 2 files changed)
    • estouchy - remove HP icc profile (PR:12914, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • Update game client selection dialog (shown before game) (PR:12908, 3 commits, 6 files changed)
  4. pvr.zattoo:
  5. newclock5:
    • Commits no longer in build:
      • [demuxer] Avoid memcpy on every demuxer packet (41c760ec)
  6. Additional commits/pull requests/changes not yet merged upstream:
    • Added: [env] compare: kodi updates
    • Added: [env] compare: RTL8812AU: switch repo to aircrack-ng, build RTL8814AU
    • Added: [env] PR:2096: RTL8188EU: update to c5113ff
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Weekly Linux 4.14-rc4 build #1012x: RPi / RPi2
(2017-10-10, 21:26)bohei2017 Wrote: Could you modify the driver for RTL 8814AU to include the device id 0bda:8813 which is for EDUP EP-AC1621?

Please test #1012 as this now includes the RTL8814AU driver. I just hope nothing new is broken with RTL8812AU.
  • 234(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LibreELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 18.0)24