Win Windows 10 External HDD Shares over SMB
Hi guys!

Newbie to the forum, but not so newbie to Kodi/XBMC. My first use was installing it on an original modded Xbox back in the day.

Anyways, onto why I'm here. I'm at a kind of standstill and not sure what is going on or why it is happening.

I'm running Windows 10 and I've set up a Homegroup to share media to a Nexus Player(Android STB)
My 2 shares are 2 different external HDD's; 1 Seagate(G Drive) and 1 WD(F Drive).

My first issue was it was asking for a password and username to access the shares, after using every combination of my M$ account details without any success, I just went to Network and Sharing and disabled the "Require Password" option. Okay, I try again. Nada. So I go to the drive properties of F Drive and go to sharing tab, make sure Everyone has read access, try again, still nothing. I read online on another forum to add Local Service as an instance that has Read Access, do that, and it works. Problem Solved, right?

Well, I could access that drive no problem, did the other drive the same way, no dice. I've left the homegroup, recreated it, but I still cant get the G drive to allow access without a password and I'm not sure what I'm overlooking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Isn't a Homegroup basically just for windows machines?* How's that going to work?

* I may be being stupid here - wouldn't be the first time.
Troggy - You can still create a Homegroup and then share (read/write) specific folders with the homegroup and other devices (including ANdroid) will recognise them over SMB.

afinley92 - The password you are being prompted for is your Windows Login NOT Microsoft account. Please look over the SMB wiki in my sig.
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 10 External HDD Shares over SMB0