Win Black Screen after PC wakes up with new TV
Hi all,

Wondered if someone could help?

I've recently bought a new TV (Samsung KS7000) and entered the world of 4K! However, after connecting the TV to my existing setup - Kodi Krypton 16.1 on Windows 10 - I am having trouble with the TV displaying the PC/Kodi.

When initially plugging in the HDMI cable, the PC shows fine - the display settings on the PC were changed automatically, due to the new TV connected, to 3840 x 2160 (native) and 60hz refresh rate. Kodi also automatically changed to 3840 x 2160. Things worked ok, although there was quite a few seconds pause (black screen) when opening or closing the Kodi window (i.e. if in Kodi, I would often click the Windows button to bring up the start menu and when doing that the black screen would come up for a few seconds). But, when the PC goes to sleep (which I want it to do after 5 mins of inactivity) and is then woken, I just get a black screen. Sometimes I can hear the sound of menu presses if I use the remote but absolutely no display.

My graphics card is an EVGA Nvidia GTX 750 Ti, which supports HDMI 1.4 I believe - I know very little of all this, but I read that only HDMI 2.0 would support 4k 60hz, therefore I lowered the resolution back to 1920 x 1080 (both in Nvidia control panel & Kodi) and the refresh rate to 30hz. It would seem to be better in that, if Kodi is not running then the PC wakes up fine from sleep and the display is shown, but unfortunately if Kodi is running, no display is shown on wakeup.

Again, I don't know anything about the subjects really, but from what I have read elsewhere it would seem to be a "handshake" issue or something to do with display settings.

I realise this may be a Windows issue, a Samsung TV issue, or a Kodi issue, but thought someone here may be able to help. Just to clarify, the only change (hardware or software) is the new TV, everything was working fine with the previous Samsung TV - don't let the wife make me send this new one back!!

Many thanks
Might be related to the old HDMI handshakr issue.
I heard good results from some that use a tool to create a permanent 'driver' for display so its always 'on'.
Am in a rush, but might post a link later. Or search for hdmi handshake' to find the process.

Edit: Add link
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...ver+create
Kodi 16.1 is Jarvis, while Krypton 17 is Beta 6 atm. Lovely TV set (wish I could help more but I haven't got my 4K set yet, O'santa plsSmile, from my understanding HDMI 1.4 does support that resolution but only 24fps but the graphic card would have to be capable. re: your issue - Reading this might help http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=158432 the pin #19 trick is documented in this Displays (wiki) I would put the blame squarely on HDCP and loss of handshaking https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandw...Protection
Many thanks for your replies and help - I tried both the EDID and pin-19 solutions but they unfortunately didn't work for me. However, there was a suggestion in one of those threads (can't for the life of me find it now) to use Launcher4Kodi, which I have done and all seems to be working ok.

My resolution is now set to 1920x1080 and refresh rate at 60hz - both my graphics card and HDMI 1.4 should be capable of this, so I have read. When Kodi is not open, the PC can wake fine, but unfortunately not if Kodi is open. So I have set Launcher4Kodi to exit Kodi on sleep and restart Kodi on wakeup - it takes a few seconds to open it up when returning from sleep, so not quite as fluid as I would like, but a helluva lot better than having to unplug the HDMI cable each time!

The only issue I still have is; if Kodi is open and I hit the Windows key (I do this quite often to change programs, go on internet etc...) then I get the black screen and have to reconnect the HDMI cable. It just means I have to exit Kodi instead - bit of a pain but no major issue.

There's still some sort of issue there and I kind of think upgrading the graphics card may solve it - but that is an expense I can do without, maybe in a couple of years when 4k graphics cards with HDMI 2 have come down in price!

Overall, the TV is great, I can well recommend it - I hope Santa is kind to you Pat - I can now add Kodi as a source to the TV's Smart Menu alongside YouView, Amazon, iPlayer etc... and switching between the various sources feels natural. I had very much missed the Amazon Prime app in Kodi so having it this way round works well.

Many thanks for your help again.
This is not a Kodi problem, but is kind of in relation to my previous issue - does anyone know how if there are any settings in Windows or third party software to stop the PC sending the auto-signal via HDMI to the TV. What I mean is, if I am watching something via my Youview box or playing on the Xbox and my PC wakes up to record something, the source automatically switches to the PC. I've tried settings on the TV and thought the Pin-19 trick may work, but to no avail.

So thought there might be settings I could do on the PC?

Many thanks for any help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black Screen after PC wakes up with new TV0