QoS and Layer 7
Hey forum Gurus

Does anybody know of layer 7 definitions for kodi? I know that kodi uses port 443 and would like to separate kodi traffic from other https traffic.

Thanks in advance
If you are on Layer 7 already, why do you care about Ports?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I guess you want to do packet inspection to figure out which streams belong to kodi amongst a series of others going through the same gateway on the same port? Setting aside the fact that 443 would have an encrypted payload, L7 regex is almost never the right answer when creating border policies. Get the app or service you want onto a dedicated port, or coming from a dedicated IP and build from there - your firewalls CPU will thank you.
Thanks for the replies.

The reason I care about ports is because kodi is running on my main machine and as you know port 443 is used by many applications like email and banking for example.

I will look into designating a port for my self but that wont help some of my client routers.

Wire shark can be used for deep packet inspection but I figured some questions would be order before I resort to that.

Also my routers have the resources to handle L7.
Kodi does not open Port 443 for anything. It's webserver can be configured to 8080 or whatever you want.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-12-03, 21:55)fritsch Wrote: Kodi does not open Port 443 for anything. It's webserver can be configured to 8080 or whatever you want.

not as server, but it will happily connect to 443 on other servers if you instruct it to
Jep. I meant the "incoming / serving" connection. For outgoing it highly dependes on the protocols you plan to use.
Is there a way to set a local source port range for video streaming in kodi? I would like to set a port range of 44000 to 46000 for streaming video.

Example:

Src- 192.168.x.x:45094 > Dst- 173.x.x.x:443

Src=My local LAN
Dst=WAN Server

Thanks in advance
No.
If kodi is running on a linux box and there is other traffic from the same box that needs separating you could run kodi as a different user set tos/dscp bits for kodi with iptables + uid match.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
QoS and Layer 70