Running both Kodi 16 and 17-beta
I am using MrMC on my iphone/TV, which requires me to keep mysql database intact based on the Kodi 16 (library version). I'd also like to test 17-beta and have Android clients that can access this new library version over mysql as well.

Now to my question - is it possible to install both Kodi 16 and Kodi 17-beta on my windows machine. If so, does this allow me to update both libraries and make both available over mysql over the network. Obviously, they wouldn't be in sync, but want to make sure that it is even possible to have both?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Install one of them in portable mode.

They will run entirely separately that way, with their own libraries and add-ons etc. You can do the usually MySQL setup if you wish, although both will use their individual database versions.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Brilliant, this should work. Thanks!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
One more related question - I succeeded to install both (one in portable and one as full install). Unfortunately, I cannot run both in parallel on the same computer. Is there a way to accomplish this?
When you say can't run both what specially goes wrong?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Maybe run one on a virtual machine? The one-instance only is designed in, I vaguely remember discussion years ago.
Kodi and xbmc would run together.
(2016-12-10, 12:02)DarrenHill Wrote: When you say can't run both what specially goes wrong?

It does not give an error message. Once opening the second one, it just brings the first one to the front. Basically same behavior as if I were to open something that is already open.

Opening it in a virtual machine would probably work, but this is quite a "painful" work-around for what I'd like to accomplish. Any other idea?
You cannot run two at same time
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Change the Install directory and also name it Kodi-Movies and Kodi-TV or whatever you wish -Works for me- Smile
(2016-12-10, 14:51)Martijn Wrote: You cannot run two at same time
Not even on a virtual machine? I thought I'd done that at one point.
(2016-12-10, 16:14)ThePoetStefan Wrote: Change the Install directory and also name it Kodi-Movies and Kodi-TV or whatever you wish -Works for me- Smile
You can install as many versions as you like - although just changing the install directory without using a portable shortcut (or a different user account) would seem a bit pointless, as you'd still be sharing a data folder. The question is re running 2 at once - can you do that?
No idea about Windows, but it's perfectly possible to run multiple instances under Linux at the same time. In fact I often run Krypton in portable mode whilst leaving Jarvis running.

Even if the Windows version has a built in check to ensure only one instance can run at a time, I would have expected that running in portable mode would automatically bypass that check.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2016-12-10, 16:58)black_eagle Wrote: No idea about Windows, but it's perfectly possible to run multiple instances under Linux at the same time. In fact I often run Krypton in portable mode whilst leaving Jarvis running.

Even if the Windows version has a built in check to ensure only one instance can run at a time, I would have expected that running in portable mode would automatically bypass that check.
Yeah, you'd think so. Doesn't work. You'd need to recompile with a different mutex name apparently (I almost understand that google-knowledge!).
Anyway - virtual machine, recompile or find a version that's already been recompiled seem to be the answers. The last is obviously by far the easiest option if you don't mind a couple of minutes googling - the jarvis 16.1 I just found is from a place unmentionable here. Edit: and needed a bit of cleaning up. I only used the .exe itself in the end.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running both Kodi 16 and 17-beta0