tMM sometimes does not start
tMM sometimes does not start and obviously after some time it does again. The same with a back up of it, made at the time when tMM started.

What could it be caused by? How could I make tMM start?
Newest stable Kodi (portable), Win 10 | skin: default Confluence
Just make sure you have enough free memory before running tmm (and do not increase the memory settings in tmm without having plenty of it).

512mb will be fairly enough for <90% of tmm users
if you have a real low RAM machine (2gb e.g.) try to start tmm with less memory than 512mb
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Help us translate tinyMediaManager at Weblate | Translations at 66%
Found a bug or want to submit a feature request? Contact us at GitLab
Thank you, mlaggner.

I have 8 GB RAM. 52 % in use at the moment. I had increased the memory use in tMM to about 1,2 GB or so. The tMM folder (with the exe file of tMM) is about 9 GB big, about 10000 movies, 5700 episodes, I assume.

How could I increase tMM's memory without starting it?

Many thanks again.
how could the tmm folder grow to 9gb?
which files use that space? (cache folder, logs or databases?)

there is a file called extra.txt; try to alter the value in it to your desired amount of memory (in MB)
BE AWARE: is you use a 32 bit Java, you must not take a value over 1500mb
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Quote:how could the tmm folder grow to 9gb?
Sorry, I do not have any idea, I would have supposed, because of adding movies, series.

Quote:which files use that space? (cache folder, logs or databases?)
The cache folder obviously does:

Could / should I remove its content?

Quote: there is a file called extra.txt; try to alter the value in it to your desired amount of memory (in MB)
This is entered: -Xmx1280m. What value should I enter?

How could I find out which java I use, this is shown:

After closing some programs tMM started. So obviously 4 GB RAM are not enough for tMM. How much RAM does it need?
okay, you have tons of cached images, you can either:
- turn off image caching (after that you won't see any images from "offline" movies - e.g. disconnected NAS)
- clear the cache dir (either in explorer or from the tools menu in tmm) - this will lead to rebuild the cache as needed in tmm

but the cache itself has nothing to do with the memory consumption in tmm - I was just wondering how the tmm dir can grow to 9gb Wink

You have a 32 bit java installed (c:\program files (x86)) - you should try to install a 64 bit Java, but this alone won't solve your problem.
Memory management with Windows and Java is a pain in the ass. As mentioned in this stackoverflow article (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21631...es#tab-top) java tries to allocate

Quote:on top of all this, the hotspot JVM only supports allocating a single, continuous, chunk of memory for use as heap space.

you may have 50% (~4gb RAM) free on your windows machine, but there may not be a continuous piece of 1.2GB available. (BTW: I don't think tmm needs that much of RAM for your installation? have to check it with a huge testbed - btw, if tmm starts again for you, please have a look at the bottom line and tell me how much memory is used after starting)

conclusio: I suppose your main problem is, that you sometimes simply do not have enough continuous RAM free on your system to start tmm with that memory settings.
Not to correct or overtake MLaggner's detailed explanation. And certainly not for the size issue.

Regarding memory and TMM start: But i too tried to adjust the Java memory size to more than it's default 1024Mb size (I have16Gb of memory in machine) - But that stopped my TMM from working completely. Changing the extra.txt back to -Xmx1024Mb made it work everytime again...
Many thanks.

Quote:okay, you have tons of cached images,
Why is it? Can tMM automatically avoid it?

Quote: - turn off image caching (after that you won't see any images from "offline" movies - e.g. disconnected NAS)
Most of the movies are located on external USB drives, so that would not be good.

Quote: - clear the cache dir (either in explorer or from the tools menu in tmm) - this will lead to rebuild the cache as needed in tmm
So and doing this would keep all of the needed images? Ah, I remember now, removing the cache folder of tMM the last time let all of the images disappear. Is there a manner to keep the images?

Quote: but the cache itself has nothing to do with the memory consumption in tmm
I had supposed it.

Quote:You have a 32 bit java installed (c:\program files (x86)) - you should try to install a 64 bit Java, but this alone won't solve your problem.
Memory management with Windows and Java is a pain in the ass. As mentioned in this stackoverflow article (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21631...es#tab-top) java tries to allocate
Thanks for the link. The best would be to get rid of java at all (and of Win anyhow), but I assume many programs won't work anymore then. So, I guess I should leave the 32 bit Java version when it is no (big) advantage installing Java 64 bit.

Quote:you may have 50% (~4gb RAM) free on your windows machine, but there may not be a continuous piece of 1.2GB available.
OK, so that's the explanation for it.

Yes, of course, this is shown for the memory use, not that much (so could / should I decrease the memory usage in tMM?):
By the way, can one make tMM to not to crop the panels / areas (see the arrows)?

Quote:conclusio: I suppose your main problem is, that you sometimes simply do not have enough continuous RAM free on your system to start tmm with that memory settings.
So this might be a cause of problems with other programs either, I guess. May be I should use "CleanMem" again. But I do not know whether it helps with none continuous memory.

Many thanks again

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
tMM sometimes does not start0