Preferred way to rewrite a guide
Is there a preferred way to rewrite a guide/how-to? I have written this guide: HOW TO: Minimal Ubuntu 16.04 with Kodi, Steam & EmulationStation. I have now found a better way to integrate Kodi, Steam and emulators compared to the one described in my guide. However, this new approach would mean that I need to rewrite large sections.

I would like to preserve the old guide for reference, but I do not want to add new sections to the old guide because the readability would suffer. Also, some of the post in the thread still applies to the new guide.

Right now I am thinking about these solutions:
  • Create a new thread for the new guide
  • Use strike-through to show what sections no longer apply in the old guide and add the new sections
  • Add a post in my old thread with the new guide and link to this new guide in the beginning of the thread

What would be the best solution? And how are these things usually done?
@nedscott may have some opinions on this.
Wiki? ;)

One of the reasons I always liked using mediawiki for guides is that it contains a full public history of the page. If you ever want to see the "2014" version of a page on the Kodi wiki, then you can literally do that using the history tab. This doesn't always work well for every page, because sometimes things get reorganized across multiple pages (making it less obvious where the old information started from), but it generally works well for how-to pages, which are meant to be self contained (more or less).
Thanks Ned. Would the second section of the Kodi wiki be an OK place to put it? Or is there another section where my guide would be more appropriate?

However, I have the feeling that my guide is to specialized to fit into the Kodi wiki. The HOW-TOs there seems to be more general, or is it fine?
The Kodi wiki was meant to be a home for any kind of kodi-related guide, even the very specific.

Just make a new page and add it to the right categories by including the following text:

Code:
[[Category:How-to]] [[Category:Advanced topics]] [[Category:Linux]]

It's the same markup for links, but it will also do categorization. That will cause it to show up on other pages, such as Advanced topics (wiki) and Linux (wiki).
Great. I’ll port the guide when I have some spare time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Preferred way to rewrite a guide0