Recording in Kodi
Other media player (since not allow to name media player other than Kodi here), has options to record anything that is playing in media player at the moment.

For example: Shift-R starts recording, Shift-R again stops recording. Then file is saved. Very simple, no hassle.

But in Kodi, I heard of PVR Simple client, but it need epg and back end, etc.

So is there a simple way to record anything that is playing in Kodi? using Kodi commands?

If not, how hard is it to add recording option to Kodi?
You mention 'not allow to name media player' in the forums, don't know where you got that impression from, Plex, VLC MPC are all discussed openly, The sticky part is is when the conversation moves to breaking DRM, piracy and methods, links to illegal material or conduits to that effect. Essentially any discussion that could bring Kodi into conflict with governments, copy-write holders or bring disrepute or jeopardize the great work done by so many that is Kodi. Feel free to peruse our Wiki's, Blog and forums to explore all that the forums offers. Be comfortable in the fact that no innocent question will ever impact your membership and as long as the Official:Forum rules (wiki) are followed we hope you will find much enjoyment with the program and this community.

re: PVR

Personal Video Recorder, Live TV and PVR/DVR Setup Guide (wiki) this guide has been set-up by members, so if it has shortcomings, leave us a message in the appropriate forum and someone who has experience will respond. The back end of the PVR is going to be hardware specific and drivers for that will either be supplied by your TV card manufacture or a 3rd party, our developers are just too busy to supply every tuner with software that toggles the hardware.
Hi PatK:
Few comments.
Good to know I can mention other media players here. I understand about NOT discussing illegal things here. Respected.

Sometimes(often) forums are very defensive about their bias, some members can get a away with anything, and other members are told to stand down or face ban. Unfair but forum owners/mod can do whatever they wanna do.
All I was trying to do was be extra sensitive.

Often forum owners/mod care very protective and claim answers are everywhere and all are willing to help, yet when asked "good" "logical" questions, answers not forthcoming. Often no replies.
In fact there's more interest in telling people not to mention illegal topics (rightfully so) then actually answering good questions about using Kodi. hummmHuh

BTW link you gave me, Talk:Live TV and PVR/DVR Setup Guide, (http://kodi.wiki/view/Talk:Live_TV_and_P...etup_Guide), says "There is currently no text in this page". Nothing there, so why you even mention it?
See my point? I doubt you even knew nothing was there. yet you freely passed it on.

As for PVR, my question wasn;t about PVR. It was about why Kodi don;t have simple recording option like VLC which has simple button, keystroke to record. Kodi uses PVR but that's limited too TV tuners, EPG, etc. Not for anything that is played in Kodi.
I been using VLC for years, good or bad, VLC does what I want. I am sure maybe other players are better.
Recently I learned that VLC can record, anything that's being played regardless of source.
BUT Kodi is not like that, as I understand it.
So logical question to yo and Kodi experts is why not have recording option, sure Kodi can still keep PVR option but it serves limited function.

NapoleonWilson posted a great thread on recording anything played in Kodi using command lines. Great work but not useful to most people like me who just wanna point, click, play in windows. Lazy? sure. I admit. But if VLC can offer simple recording option, why can;t wonderful critically acclaimed Kodi?

Reducing buffering on live stream is another topic with confusing answers.
There's a difference between LIVE stream like live sports and VOD, tv shows/movies pre-taped. So can? or how to set cache for live streams? There are many useless suggestions using advancedsettings, etc but non work.

In closing, perhaps more efforts should be directed to actually help people use Kodi then policing who's posting illegal topics. IMHO
Also, correct me if I am wrong but without addons, Kodi is just another media player? true?

I can never understand why anybody wanna play youtube in Kodi. Just use youtube to watch youtube. Am I missing something here?
Most if not all network contents can be played in their original websites so why channel them thru Kodi to watch?
i.e. Livestream has its own website and watch anything stored there. So why need Livestream addon?

I am a simple user, play videos, stream live in windows. VLC does it, and even records. So why I need Kodi?
Respectfully asked.
(2016-12-05, 02:58)Joejim Wrote: BTW link you gave me, Talk:Live TV and PVR/DVR Setup Guide, (http://kodi.wiki/view/Talk:Live_TV_and_P...etup_Guide), says "There is currently no text in this page". Nothing there, so why you even mention it?
See my point? I doubt you even knew nothing was there. yet you freely passed it on.

you're correct. and we have a zero tolerance rule for mods making typos in their response!
PatK will now be assigned with the task to wipe the floor of Kodi headquarters 'till the end of the year.

Live TV and PVR/DVR Setup Guide (wiki)
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Hi Ronie:
I read that website before about PVR. It doesn't answer my original question. if you read my post.

Also you didn;t address anything I posted. Maybe not your duty? Then direct it to somebody who can answer them?

Let's stay on topic, shall we? Your humor not that funny. IMHO
(2016-12-05, 03:21)Joejim Wrote: if you read my post.

i didn't :-)

was just providing you with the correct link.
since that is not appreciated, i'll move myself to the trash now.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Ronie:
You need to get a life. Why are you jumping into this thread anyway?
Keep your humorless humor to yourself. Not funny.

Where are moderators? Why person like Ronie doing in this forum?
This is a good forum, keep person like Ronie out. No place for you, Ronie. Find other things to do.
(2016-12-05, 04:08)Joejim Wrote: Where are moderators?

<-- here's one

(2016-12-05, 04:08)Joejim Wrote: This is a good forum, keep person like Ronie out.
believe me i tried, but even moderators don't have the power to ban themselves from the forum :-(
@ronie Shoot, Where's the mop? I appreciate the punishment.

@Joejim They call me butter fingers.... it slipped outta my fingers. Yes it's http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR, I did have the wiki page up but had a buttered bagel in my other hand. Mods and users alike are protective of things they like, I wouldn't take it too seriously unless you're on the wrong side, and I'm as guilty as others at using weasel words, but it's not like this is a court record.

As for VLC, it's great and so much so that the internal ffmpeg engine is used in Kodi. I use it on a rare occasion and if you like it enough, you can use it as a Kodi external player. External players (wiki) here's a thread on using VLC just for that purpose http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=215394 If you would like or suggest features changes, there is a Feature Requests forum that is looked at when developers have a bit of spare time, and the best part of Kodi is that it's 'open source' for anyone to add new code, and improve Kodi to new heights (the PVR addition is an example). The forums are a great place to share information, tips and tricks and you may find the answers in your favour without too much effort,

Quote: difference between LIVE stream like live sports and VOD, tv shows/movies pre-taped. So can? or how to set cache for live streams?

Wikipedia might bring a better answer than I can deliver. Thinking with regard to Kodi, I see it as an odd full screen 10 foot user interfaced browser, or in others words, lazy couch browser. Live stream is 'Youtube' and the like for me http://addons.kodi.tv/ (wiki) TV shows are OTA and tuner integration, there are paid services like Netflix, Hulu and private pay services etc... none of which I have, but I understand some 3rd party software can be used. re: policing who's posting illegal topics I just delete them, no policing involved.

Quote:Kodi is just another media player? true?

I would like to say Kodi is the greatest organizer for media, throw in VLC and some full screen browser actively at 10 feet on the couch, and it's all TRUE! it does bring down all the artwork, pairs up trailers, ratings, synopsis, operates the lights, starts the popcorn machine, and takes you back a bit after you go to the fridge and tasks you with games, exotic screen bankers and makes you king of the household. PVR what's that?

I responded to your query, guilty for the typo and Ronie was kind to correct. The responsibility and direction of the thread falls on those engaged, we've wiped the floor to too long with Ronie, and now it's my turn.
(2016-12-05, 04:08)Joejim Wrote: Ronie:
You need to get a life. Why are you jumping into this thread anyway?
Keep your humorless humor to yourself. Not funny.

Where are moderators? Why person like Ronie doing in this forum?
This is a good forum, keep person like Ronie out. No place for you, Ronie. Find other things to do.
Ronie might not be that funny to you, but the way you conduct yourself towards people spending their time to be of assistence is hilarious

Btw, your original question has been asked and answered several times already. A simple search on the forum would have provided this information to you
Don't see a use myself for Kodi being able to record what it's playing.

I have a PVR backend that does that perfectly well for live TV. Anything else I might be watching I already own so why on earth would I want to record it again ? Seems like a pointless exercise to me and a waste of valuable disk space.

@PatK, which plugin do I need to get my popcorn machine working Huh
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Often, when I am using KODI I am in a location where the Internet is poor. So much so (Spain, Portugal) that it is VERY hard to watch live streaming. So I would like to record the content and view later. I observe that when the frozen stream catches up, there is actually NO lost content - it just plays so fast that I miss it. Just being able to PAUSE  would be helpful.

I have just missed most of the Winter Olympics because a) My Kworld doesn't work here and b) the feed (I/P) is too slow. KODI COULD HAVE REALLY HELPED ME HERE!
If you search you'll find a recent windows iptv recorder released for kodi.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Smile 
Thanks nickr,

Ahem... Most people use a Mag. Glass icon for search! My webpage show "fl". (Win XP, Firefox)

Spurred on by your comment, I did eventually find it. But the search brought up just a couple of threads which were out of date, referred to Android, XMBC, and had a link to a non-existant thread!! Some other comments which might be helpful are unfornutately un-intelligable to a old MCSE (1999) like me.

I know we are asking for a lot, but what we really need is a PVR option within KODI.

If I am in Europe the time difference from Canada is 6-8 hours. The programs I would like to watch (and have a license to) are on in the middle of the night.

The other problem is that I really need to "download" some programs because the I/P is so slow. Well not really "download" - just record them without the pauses and speeded up sections so that I can watch them later (or just delayed "real time"). If you have ever tried watching a down hill skier on Spanish internet you would understand immediately!!! Boy! they hang in the air for a long time---- then they complete the run at 400mph!!!

I run KODI Kripton on Ubuntu and on Windows 7. I have a dedicated, dual boot PC which I use as a Media Player. I DO NOT have a TV tuner in my media player - I currently use KODI to access all the TV that I watch when I am away from home.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recording in Kodi0