Starting from scratch?
So I did a few searches and the consensus I get is that instead of starting from scratch for a new skin.... That is should start this conq. And basically mod it to what I want... I just want to know is that the right mind set?

I enjoy modding and want to take a swing at making my own skin that's the reason for this post. Not trying to start a conflict as I have searched for this I have seen it be taken that way.

Thanks for advice
Shield TV | Windows 10 | Mariadb | Mii Box
Evolve Ecosystem Repo | TV Melodies | Madnox Holiday Mod
if you're new to skinning, then starting out by modding an existing skin is certainly recommended.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
I have been playing with madnox... Made the holiday mod additions for it.... I know it will be hard but to make a new skin would it be better start with a pre built skin and remove parts I don't like would I still be able to publish on here as a wip that may would become part of the official repo? Or does it need to be a clean start I guess is what I am asking...
nah, clean start isn't needed for anything.
mods can be posted in our WIP subforum without a problem.

..and if your mod differs enough from the original, repo submission shouldn't be a problem either.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
You're always better off modding from another skin and replacing/updating as you go otherwise you'll not be able to use Kodi.
Alright cool .... Well guess it's time to take the leap then.... So once I get to a point that it is seem 75 percent different from the original I should post in wip to begin the repo submission? Or is the wip just for aphla beta testing before submission?
as soon as you think you've got something to show, wip section is all yours ;-)
we're not counting percentages, nor do you have to include a download link right from the start.

it's perfectly fine just to post some ideas / wip screenshots.
Thank for the direction... And really appreciate the quick response.
One other random question how does the skin pull the info from the NFO file ...I am guessing it is pulled with something love like $ item.info( property) .... Reason in ask I want to know is I would like to add artist and album info on the screen as I navigate to my music videos.

What I have is

Code:
(Artist)
(Artist.NFO)
       (Album1)
        (Album.NFO)
                  (Music Video)
                   (Music Video.NFO)
       (Album 2)
       (Album2.nfo)
                   (Music Video)
                    (Music video.NFO)

I want to use the .NFO file in these locations just wondering if it was something I can add into "my skin" to display this information.

Thanks again
skins don't pull info from .nfo files ;-)

kodi (scrapers) do, they store the info in the database and kodi makes this info available
to skins using infolabels (for instance ListItem.Artist / ListItem.Album)

your directory structure only matters to kodi. if you put .nfo files in directories not supported by kodi, they simply will be ignored.
Gotcha that's why no one has every done this kodi doesn't scrap it haha thanks
One day I will figure it out haha
If I may add my two cents.
I agree with the idea of modding an existing skin, they already work.
Back up your work alot.
Turn off auto update so you don't accidentally lose your work.
"Fork" your skin and try to install it when you get to a point you feel is far enough.
Once your skin is forked you can turn auto update on.
Document your PD art and font sources, be sure of their licensing.
A few new questions.... Starting with RyeHumors comment.
1. the art work if I use some of the current skin art work how would I document that?
2.If I make the textures I only know how to use paintdot.net how would I need to document that?
3. Online artwork same question how to document?

Basically to reword those three into one question how do I go about document in artwork, where in the skin would I add the needed documents.

Same with the font I got it from 1001 fonts I think.
My other question is how would I go about adding a option that is greyed out.

What i am going to do is rewrite my holiday mod as an add-on I want the option to be greyed out.
On click prompt to download add-on once installed option is available.....

Do you know if an example anywhere I may could go but to get this working....

There is no rush as I really just started working in the new skin last night...so it will be a while before getting to this.
I'm no lawyer but I know it's tricky. I use DeadHistory and Orange typefaces, which allow redistribution but not modification. They are heavily modified because I use extended sets so I can't distribute them Sad Most on-line font sources have a license button at the bottom.
For PD art I use as textures and maps, I bookmark the source so later I can go back and look at their copyright to see if I can distribute them and how to credit them. In other not-Kodi projects I have written permission to use the art for non-commercial purposes with appropriate credit.
For images you draw you own it so it's yours to do as you please.
I added a credits screen to Settings/System Info to give credit to those whose art and typefaces I have adapted.
Months go by and it's hard to remember where the bits and pieces come from so that's why I bookmark them as I use them.
For artwork that is already a part of Kodi I don't know, but it's a bridge I may have to cross also.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Starting from scratch?2