Linux Trying to install OpenElec
I am trying to install Open Elec on to a Dell Precision T7400. I went to OpenElec and downloaded Open Elec Generic X86 64-6.03. I extracted the file and wrote the file to the same USB drive. I changed the boot order to USB and put the USB in the drive in the machine and powered it on. It tells me there is no bootable device. I am not sure how to tell if it is the computer or if it is the USB drive. Any ideas? I am wanting to load MythTv or other PVR and create a large storage volume on this machine with Free NAS.

I tried to create a user on the OpenElec forum but their Catchpa does not show any way to complete it.

Thanks

John
Consider LibreELEC instead? Their LibreELEC USB-SD Creator app works great for making a bootable USB thumbdrive.
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
I considered it but the Wiki shows that TVHeadend does not work with cable card. I did not see where MythTv can be installed on LibreELEC. Is that correct?
Thanks!
John
Sorry, I don't anything about PVR or MythTv.

Best of luck!
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
It works the very same way OE worked ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-12-05, 00:34)jcfaber1 Wrote: I am trying to install Open Elec on to a Dell Precision T7400. I went to OpenElec and downloaded Open Elec Generic X86 64-6.03. I extracted the file and wrote the file to the same USB drive. I changed the boot order to USB and put the USB in the drive in the machine and powered it on. It tells me there is no bootable device. I am not sure how to tell if it is the computer or if it is the USB drive. Any ideas? I am wanting to load MythTv or other PVR and create a large storage volume on this machine with Free NAS.

I tried to create a user on the OpenElec forum but their Catchpa does not show any way to complete it.

Thanks

John

For reference, you can't just extract the .img file and copy it across because that doesn't make the USB drive bootable. If you're using Windows, you need to use something like "Win32 Disk Imager" which will write the .img file to USB and make it bootable.

If you're doing it on Linux then sudo dd if=/home/user/file.img of=/dev/sdX bs=1M where /home/user/file.img is the file to put onto the usb drive and /dev/sdX is where the USB drive is mounted.

Both these only apply to .img files, you need different programs if your file is .iso
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Openelec is dead with no way forward. They don't even have a Jarvis version afaik. Go libreelec.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Moved to Libreelec but cannot complete the installation. I will create a new thread for this problem. Thanks again all.
John

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trying to install OpenElec0