This has gone far enough- what's happening Team Kodi?
(2016-12-07, 23:40)OnKz Wrote: Except, it's not that simple, is it?

No, it really is. You are clearly over thinking it.
If anyone thinks that Team Kodi isn't concerned about piracy and the injury to Kodi's name they are sorely mistaken.

Just recently the kodi slack mods channel had a long conversation about developing a script to list the many piratic kodi sales on one of the big websites. That will making takedown requests easier to post. to the website.

But all we can do is complain to the Amazons and Ebays of the world. Even if they do take the ads sown, it is like whack-a-mole.

And even if we brought a successful (and expensive and long running) trademark case, it would be no doubt just be more whack-a-mole.

Just look at the success of the Movie/Media companies stamping out torrent sites. Yeah a few have gone down, but are usually replaced or rebuilt. More whack-a-mole.

So we try, but in the words of the late great Bowie "it ain't easy": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnI_ko3_r_c
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm a big fan of open software, if people want to use it for streaming then good luck to them I say. Enjoy Smile

The thing that the Kodi project can not been seen to do is promote that in any way, and they do a great job.

Back in the old days it was also a big theme that you had to "illegally" mod your xbox to run kodi or whatever, its just evolved.

What will eventually happen is there will be a court case, and suddenly overnight amazon and ebay will ban those so called devices and people will start moaning about something else Wink

Regarding the huge Facebook groups, they are quite lax with them so far but will clamp down one day. You can buy steroids and all sorts on there so its not exactly just a Kodi problem.
The only thing that comes to mind is to continue letting the home and casual users download it for free and begin requiring registration and payment from those who would make it into a business and start taking those folks to task and to court if necessary in order to force payment.
If the kodi team were able to make deals with the major studios and networks like hulu or netflix does I would have no problem paying a subscription fee to use there platform as long as there doing the upkeep and can give some guarantee that it well just work. If there doing that then they can decide if they can and want to offer discounts to bulk businesses. Of course I would want that to be my choice - subscription based with legal streams or free for personal use. The idea here isn't to start charging for an already great product but to offer another or upgrade choice that I believe a lot of honest folks might appreciate while bringing in a bit of money to be able to hold to task those who would abuse the privilege of having great free software available to them.
Kodi is FOSS. Period! ^^
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
No idea how taking money solves the problem at hand tbh.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Ok but why is it Kodi's responsibility to stop piracy in an app that supports add-on's and user supplied content.

Obviously they can't condone it, but technically what are they supposed to do? Block non Kodi approved add-ons?

Since its open source it would be forked instantly and modified to allow them again.

They should make sure that their website, this forum, and other marketing materials emphasize the true uses of Kodi.
Lumia 950
(2016-12-14, 17:55)Brian D Wrote: Since its open source it would be forked instantly and modified to allow them again.

I don't think anyone from Team Kodi care about the forks as long as they repect our trademark and properly rebrand.
We'd actually love to see "XXMC", "TVMC", "FreedomMC" or whatever proeminently associated to piracy rather than Kodi Wink
(2016-12-06, 09:21)Koying Wrote:
(2016-12-06, 08:38)Memphiz Wrote: What do you want to hear now?
Exactly. We assure everyone there are no botnets in Kodi.
Does technology go faster than the capacity of most to grasp it? Totally, but nothing we can do about it.

Then, half of the US voted for Trump, so maybe there is a basic issue of plain stupidity and/or education at hand?
And where stupidity lies, you'll find sharks ready to take advantage of it...

LOL, I don't think Trump got votes due to stupidity or lack of education........I just think many people want a change from the current political climate. So much talk about Trump....but did you also notice that the House and Senate are both now controlled by Republicans? What does that tell you about the current political landscape? Plus.....would you really trust someone to run the country, that lost 30K classified Government emails with a lame excuse??
Yup, I'm closing this thread. This is not the domain for political discussion. If you want to be an idiot in that regard, do it on reddit or 4chan.
(2016-12-14, 21:41)natethomas Wrote: If you want to be an idiot in that regard, do it on reddit or 4chan.
LOL
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
This has gone far enough- what's happening Team Kodi?2