Linux Help me understand kodi audio
I have a RPI now and I can only output PCM audio. I'm seeing something about lossless PCM, but playing a DTS HD movie is still not DTS HD.

Looking to upgrade or expand and put the pi in another room, but is there a better option for surround sound and 1080p than the pi?

Sent from my iPhone
This thread in helpful explaining all the terms

Basically if you do not have a HD Audio capable AVR. Kodi devices can decode that HD Audio to a bitperfect (lossless) PCM Audio stream and send that over HDMI to any AVR.

The RPi's cannot bitstream/passthrough 5.1/7.1 HD Audio formats, but can do HD Audio > PCM audio decoding.
You would not get those fancy HD Audio Blinking lights on your AVR, but listening Aurally you wont be able to tell the difference.

Superior, comparable hardware options these days that give you the full suite of proper HD Audio passthrough & PCM decode Audio options are the AMLogic S905 devices running LibreELEC Kodi.

(2016-12-08, 10:35)wrxtasy Wrote: This thread in helpful explaining all the terms

Basically if you do not have a HD Audio capable AVR. Kodi devices can decode that HD Audio to a bitperfect (lossless) PCM Audio stream and send that over HDMI to any AVR.

The RPi's cannot bitstream/passthrough 5.1/7.1 HD Audio formats, but can do HD Audio > PCM audio decoding.
You would not get those fancy HD Audio Blinking lights on your AVR, but listening Aurally you wont be able to tell the difference.

Superior, comparable hardware options these days that give you the full suite of proper HD Audio passthrough & PCM decode Audio options are the AMLogic S905 devices running LibreELEC Kodi.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm pretty new to android boxes, but I think this might be perfect to try out at a similar price point as the RPi.

Sent from my iPhone
I want to go with an atmos receiver sooner than later so if I can play HD audio with one of these I think I'll be set for atmos as well.

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-12-08, 10:35)wrxtasy Wrote: This thread in helpful explaining all the terms

Not Kodi related but do you know if these AMLogic devices will give HD and surround sound for Netflix as well?

Deciding if I want a box for kodi with apps or just get a dedicated kodi box + roku.

Sent from my iPhone
The only AMlogic devices that give you 720/1080p or 4K Netflix are the WeTek Core / Hub / Play2 and the Xiaomi Mi Box.

For the Hub / Play2 you only get 5.1 Netflix Audio if you flash an unofficial Android TV OS ROM (Lollipop) and use a specially modded Netflix App. Its not 100% reliably bullet proof this method and the modded Netflix App is a little bit unstable and can sometimes pop up a weird error.

However Android Marshmallow test Firmware on the Hub gives up to 4K Netflix with 5.1 Audio simply by using the normal Android TV OS App when an AVR connected only. It is nice and reliable. AMLogic's Android Marshmallow Firmware however has some bugs for serious Kodi use.

The properly licensed Android TV Xiaomi Mi Box gives you up to 4K Netflix with 5.1 Audio, with either an AVR or HDMI TV connected.
Same AMLogic Android Marshmallow Firmware bugs as Hub's test Firmware. Even more bugs for serious Kodi use than the Hub, but its still good enough for some.

See the START HERE thread at the top of the forum for full Kodi bugs list with AML Marshmallow and Kodi.

You really should be buying a nVIDIA Shield if going down the ATMOS + reliable Netflix 5.1 Audio route. The Mi Box won't do ATMOS.

Does it make more sense to go with the powerhouse Shield for an all in one box or a dedicated box that does kodi (currently 1080p/3D/HD audio/atmos) and a roku for ...everything else as they seem like they have more streaming sources than an android box with less rooting, atmos capable

Sent from my iPhone
My suggestion would be a nVIDIA Shield for Kodi, Netflix, ATMOS and all those other Android TV OS Apps. It will be much easier to use than a regular touchscreen Android box. You can Sideload the Amazon (Prime) Instant Video App on to the Shield easily as well. I believe Amazon App even does 5.1 Audio with an AVR connected.
There is no full 1080p 3D video playback available on the Shield. Its Half Resolution 3D only.

COMPARE STREAMING MEDIA PLAYERS

The Shield is the King of Android devices and will get the best Android OS support going forward too, simply due to the substantial developer resources available at nVIDIA HQ.

Use the RPi you already have for 1080p 3D video playback only. Otherwise you will end up with a compromised Android (touchcreen) based Box if you go hunting for something that specifically does 1080p 3D. You will not get 5.1 Audio / HD Netflix or other 1080p HD Android streaming Apps on those 3D specific Android boxes either.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help me understand kodi audio0