Estuary v2 - amazing skin; end user comments & suggestions
Estuary v2 is an amazingly clean looking skin that is very easy and intuitive to use; props goes to the designers and coders! (great job guys!!!)

I have one comment regarding the "Categories" bar with possible solutions.
The "Categories" bar is quite expansive and takes a lot of screen real estate; this also no longer fully allows two horizontal listings (ie."Recently added movies" and "Unwatched movies").

One solution is to move the "Categories" bar to a contextual menu (for example "Movies" is highlighted, then press 'left' or 'right click' to activate the "Categories" sub menu).

The other suggestion is regarding the "Movies" listing (this same thought applies to the other listings that relists already apparent information).
You have the "Categories" bar, but then relist "Genres" and "Movie Sets" at the bottom (below the posters of "Random movies" aspect of the page) - this is redundant information that can easily be accessible from the "Categories" bar.

Thoughts and critiques?
Another solution would be to revert to Estuary v1's "Categories" bar - it was very respectful of screen real estate and was easy to use (although the context menu idea, I think, is an improvement over v1's method).

I terms of an intuitive solution the contextual menu (i.e. the 2nd picture) seems best to me.
You have all kind of selection criteria on the right, and the contents on the left
(2016-12-10, 23:35)thegooddoctor Wrote: Another solution would be to revert to Estuary v1's "Categories" bar - it was very respectful of screen real estate and was easy to use (although the context menu idea, I think, is an improvement over v1's method).

i like this better. the old v1 icons were great. but either is a vast improvement we use kodi for content it should be highlighted not sub categories i dont even use any of them.
Well I don't use the Home screen widgets at all so to me they are wasted space, but I accept they are useful for others. So you might not use categories but many of us do, and how they are now is far more intuitive.
Totally agree with OP, the new categories look massive and take up way too much space. A context menu would be ace or perhaps at least the option of choosing the v1 small buttons over the newer v2 mahoosive ones.
I like the big buttons, creates a sense of tangibility to me, and the half missing covers at the bottom are deliberate to show you to move down without scroll bars.

Its deliberate and a copy of how Google design their interfaces.

Its quite clever
I like the context menu idea. Would be nice if it also was possible to rearrange or hide items you don't use. I guess everything is better than the big icons used now.
Would it be possible to add custom items to home menu?
I modded Estuary v2 to allow me to turn off home widgets I didn't want. That made a big difference, mostly because I turned off the category area everywhere but in the LiveTV section. Perhaps that would be an option for the production version?
(2016-12-23, 00:25)pkscout Wrote: I modded Estuary v2 to allow me to turn off home widgets I didn't want. That made a big difference, mostly because I turned off the category area everywhere but in the LiveTV section. Perhaps that would be an option for the production version?

already done https://github.com/phil65/skin.estuary/pull/180
(2016-12-23, 01:15)mazey Wrote:
(2016-12-23, 00:25)pkscout Wrote: I modded Estuary v2 to allow me to turn off home widgets I didn't want. That made a big difference, mostly because I turned off the category area everywhere but in the LiveTV section. Perhaps that would be an option for the production version?

Well, sort of. It looks like that change shows or hides categories for every screen. It's all or nothing. I don't want the categories most places, but I do what them on the Live TV section. And I also want to be able to hide individual widgets on each page (like In Progress). I could submit the mods I did as a pull request, but I don't want to clutter up the work the team is doing for something they're not interested in.
If the context menu expands when pressing "right" after having "movie" selected it would take me more clicks to go to the actual movie selection.

I currently don't use the categories, but I probably should, so it's great that they are there. And the v1 version was harder to understand since it was only icons and no text.
ive noticed with catagories turned off if you click movies it goes to catagories list instead of title list. so thats decent though i really think titles should be first on list not genre.
(2016-12-24, 01:01)pkscout Wrote:
(2016-12-23, 01:15)mazey Wrote:

Well, sort of. It looks like that change shows or hides categories for every screen. It's all or nothing. I don't want the categories most places, but I do what them on the Live TV section. And I also want to be able to hide individual widgets on each page (like In Progress). I could submit the mods I did as a pull request, but I don't want to clutter up the work the team is doing for something they're not interested in.

pkscout,
I would be interested in your modification of the estuary skin. Are you going to make it available?

Regards

Rheinlaender

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Estuary v2 - amazing skin; end user comments & suggestions0