• 1(current)
UNIPLEXhttps://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=300091 [RIP]
UniPlex... a skin inspired by modern streaming ui. This is a work in progress comment and suggestions are welcome.
This will only be available for Krypton and up. Updates videos and pictures will be on the last page of the thread.

A teaser of what's to come.

Video last updated 2/25/17

Left to do

-To Much At This Point To List

Alpha release has been removed until I can fix a typo with add-on sorry for the inconveniences.
Shield TV | Windows 10 | Mariadb | Mii Box
Evolve Ecosystem Repo | TV Melodies | Madnox Holiday Mod
less is more.

i like clean, minimalistic.
i like vertical menus, but horizontal works well too.

IMO, i think @jurialmunkey, @Hitcher, and @Piers are some of the best. i know you want to be different. but we are all inspired by something.
design for functionality, but allow for a bit of user customization.

how do you separate yourself? don't get fustrated by what others say (even me - LOL!), and try to stick around longer than a year.
seems like with every iteration of Kodi, people get burned out with the necessary changes to keep their skin going.

currently using Eminence. not quite sure what it would take to make me switch.
Linux Mint 18 LTS 64-bit - Kodi 17 Beta6
Odroid-C2 - Libreelec v7.90.009
2016-12-11 09:18

I am making this thread for my first skin.

Ultra is the name I think I am going to with, because I want to cover both spectrums of a skin... I want it to be ultra light for devices like the Raspberry Pi and Tablets, yet have the option to download custom addons to actually add on to the complexity of the skin making it Ultra large for the ultimate Home Theater Experience.

The code will be included in the basic skin so when the resource images or other content is added it may be enabled and start working as a complete system.

I want the skin it's self will be basic, simple and clean. I am just now starting my research on different ideas, I work a normal job as everyone else here, so there is no eta, I am doing this for fun just to see
if I can actually do it... I guess you can look at this as a changelog/progress_journal I will update it from time to time until I have something to present.

I am open to suggestions and always like constructive feed back.

Post #3

Thanks for the feedback...

and I to like the simple clean look.... like Arctic: Zephyr.
I also like the add eye-candy of MADNOX.

That's why I want to make something that can fit both something that can be the minimalistic start but with addons become downright memory hog.

These are more ideas until I can actually deliver so we will see.
Delete
So I am going to have 3 home menu types.... Horizontal vertical and touchscreen..... Just want to share a preview of the touchscreen

Look forward to hearing from you
Not bad.
The font is arial, right? I would choose something more modern, like Oswald, or Raleway,
I would also change the font color to something more smooth. 100% black and white looks a bit violent. I am a fan of flat and gradient design.
The menu items itself should be simple and flat. The background with a dark blurred overlay. For the colors i would use the google palette
https://material.io/guidelines/style/col...or-palette

I know, i request a lot of changes, but you have said thjat you are open for suggestions so change what you think that looks nice Wink
Thanks for that link I actually tired getng the color swatches before butnincannot open them with him on or paint .net so this was is prefect it lists all the colors etc.....I actually garden thought about the font... I was just excited to share the lay out.... But this is the very very first mock-up so hopefully it will grow more interest as I complete more.
(2016-12-17, 06:09)smitchell6879 Wrote: Thanks for that link I actually tired getng the color swatches before butnincannot open them with him on or paint .net so this was is prefect it lists all the colors etc.....I actually garden thought about the font... I was just excited to share the lay out.... But this is the very very first mock-up so hopefully it will grow more interest as I complete more.

With fonts remember it's a unicode world of languages... for example with MD you have Roboto and Nato (etc... etc) but the gist of my comment is be aware that not all font families support all languages so try to be inclusive especially when departing the Arial "default" -- no one loves Arial (sad face) hehe...

https://material.io/guidelines/resources...fonts.html

I agree with the previous comments about black/whites being abrut choices.

typically for a skin at it's core - at least having a light and dark theme both with appealing contrasts that make it easy to read at 10 feet is a core element you should then build upon with your concepts, etc.

BTW - I actually think Google and the whole MD thing is well done and a good guide to folks wanting to doing skins, apps, color choices, etc

Find your partner(s) (coder or artist or vice versa), get a GitHub repo up and hopefully helpers will appear and the skin will start to crawl its way out of the dreaded "dead pool" of skins.

Cheers and good luck with the skin...

Mario
So Material design... android tv .... bignoid has wip leanback ...... I have follow the links and read a lot of the design concept.... which brings me to that statement bignoid already has material design he has made android tv... and with that I like that concept and will do something but I am not going to do 100% android tv as it has been done. but I am still reading so maybe I can come up with something similar but different.
So been watching videos and reading guide lines trying to get a better grasp of this material design concepts l..
And I just want to say I may have partially spoke out of turn yesterday.. Android tv is based on material design and is what google came up with... But it is not exactly what y'all are requesting.... So with that being said I am going to continue researching this design concepts and give you a Kodi tv with Google impression maybe.

Also just so you can understand why I may not grasp everything from the start... I am a critical facility technician, HVAC and electrical guy.... So this is a hobby something to do in my spare time... I can draw by hand but all of this coding and the design is all new.. so I am learning as I go I may put my foot in my mouth from time to time ... But hopefully there will continue to be progress...

Merry Christmas and Happy New year's to all

May God bless you in your endeavors.
I like that concept and will do something but I am not going to do 100% android tv as it has been done

Good decision. I like the Material concept, but i think the Homescreen of Android TV is pretty useless for Kodi. I love classic vertical home layouts. Youre right. there are a few things who try to clone leanback, but no one who combines the classic concepts with a modern design guideline. Here is a concept i have made for a modern an clean homescreen (maybe a bit to bright):
I really like the background... it is clean. only problem is material design does not allow transparencies. But is clean
Nice! I love that kind of main menu even for remotes.
Okay so this is just my interpretation of material design so far....What you see may and will change as I further develop the skin as the previous screenshot I am moving away from. As I go I am adding all the animations the material design guidelines recommends as well. And will try to adhere to the design concepts as that is what seems to be most requested... this will be the default cool as Kodi icon in blue and it just seems right but there will be plenty of color themes to choose from..... also the title font is prompt and other is roboto..... Also the main menu is not complete .... I just wanted to share my progress....Let me know what you think

Home screen with main menu hidden

Home screen with main menu visible

Settings with menu visible

Settings without menu

Happy New Years to all hope everyone is having a fun and eventfully night; instead of being at work like I am.

I want to share this update to the home screen without video playing. I would like to hear from you, let me know if I am progressing in the right direction or if it is already a bust with all of you out there.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UNIPLEXhttps://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=300091 [RIP]10