• 5(current)
UNIPLEXhttps://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=300091 [RIP]
(2017-01-16, 23:07)Tinwarble Wrote: KAOS - Kodi Add-On Store.

Or if you're a Get Smart fan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_Smart#KAOS
I'll give you a bump on the KAOS idea - that one is so on the money it's uncanny...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A
*Tinwarble quickly checks profile

Phew! I was worried for a minute.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-01-17, 18:16)kz121 Wrote:

I'll give you a bump on the KAOS idea - that one is so on the money it's uncanny...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A (typie typie)

Tinwarble, it was such a good suggestion that someone joined the forum just to say so!
the problem I have with using the word "store" is that it implies you have to pay for the add-ons, which you don't.
Agreed which now saying agreed I realize why it is the add-on (browser) haha my be generic but very descriptive.
Shield TV | Windows 10 | Mariadb | Mii Box
Evolve Ecosystem Repo | TV Melodies | Madnox Holiday Mod
Kodi Add-On Stage

No sale implied, but I don't think it needs a change anyways.
(2017-01-17, 01:32)tornicade Wrote: Kodi Labworks. it would consist of unofficial official repositories , forks and Beta add ons. as well as links to the GitHub source codes.

I actually really like this name. I don't in any way like any of the rest of the suggestion (no offense), but it's a cool name for a repo.

The problem with our current repo (if you can call it a problem) is that there is nothing but the most basic sorting and listing. You don't have a "popular addons" section or a "team favorites" section, or any way to show what people are enjoying, which is a problem for two major reasons I can think of. First, it's just not a very good UI and results in people not knowing what's worth installing. And second, and perhaps much worse, this lack of info sends people to Youtube, where they mostly only learn about pirate addons, because all the youtube people never focus on all the legitimate content actually in the official repo. So to some degree, because we don't provide the info people want, the people get it from pirates instead.

In the immortal words of Gabe Newell, "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem."
That is one issue I have had as well most add-ons don't really have a description of what the are or do either nor do they have screenshots.... I know most people buy based on what they see does it look interesting.... I know the add-ons are free but as you have read on the forums over and over people don't want to download everyone of the just to see if they will like them so as Nate said they go to YouTube... Even if the add-ons don't have screenshots a good description would be nice especially with the video and music add-ons.
Xsupergurkex ATV tvapp is my inspiration for the discover and maybe other pages... We will have to see.. I am currently redrawing some textures and starting on the library section so it maybe a several day before I have anything else to share as I figured out how to round the edges of the content I am playing around with art work some to see what I like the best. Progress is slow but hopefully y'all will understand that. I am trying to stay with the material design best that I can I just having issue with some of the code where in there...
(2017-01-17, 19:16)prawnee Wrote:
(2017-01-17, 18:16)kz121 Wrote:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A (typie typie)

Tinwarble, it was such a good suggestion that someone joined the forum just to say so!
Exactly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A
I get more addons from these forums than I do from the kodi repository and most of the add ons from the repository that I need are typically auto installed when an add on needs it.

Just think it would be nice to have a beta section in any type of Add on central location.

if the idea is to enhance the current repository into its own add on with a snazzy interface that seems like a fun skinner contest waiting to happen.

Perhaps break down everything in categories.. do some type of Most popular, Devs picks, etc.

maybe have accessible manuals for the addons that have them.

It could be part of the home interface.

It would also be nice to see some sort fof Banned add on checker that you can install and get a notification or something.
Box: Matircom G Box AMLS812
Kodi: SPMC
Skin APPTV
Connection ADSL(11MPS) , Ethernet
Game Systems : Wii, PS3
Cable Provider: WOW! (Wide Open West)
Media servers (windows 10 PC) Mediaportal, Playon, Kodi

(2017-01-16, 21:02)smitchell6879 Wrote: My question is if Kodi had an app store like Google,apple or Amazon what would it be called.

Google has the play store
Apple has iTunes
Amazon has Amazon underground.

Kodi has..

Fill in the blank
* Correction; iTunes and Amazon Underground are not the names of the applications stores from Apple and Amazon, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mo..._platforms

Apple's software application store is named the "App Store" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/App_Store_(iOS)
Amazon's software application store is named the "Amazon Appstore" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Appstore

Others who provide similar ditrobution services on other platforms are :

Canonical's software application store is named "Ubuntu App Store"
Mozilla's plugin store which is named the "Firefox Marketplace"
Palm/HP's software application store for WebOS was named "WebOS App Catalog"
Microsoft's software application store is called "Windows Store"

(2017-01-17, 01:23)natethomas Wrote: Kodi actually has quite a bit of a brand, as do all sorts of nonprofits and other FOSS projects. These days, having a brand is pretty critical for us, as it helps differentiate us from pirate addons, cheap chinese box manufacturers and many others, or at least, that's its primary purpose at the moment. Having a branded app store would do much the same thing. "Don't download crap addons, download official, awesome addons from KAOS or The Hive or whatever."
I also think that a proper name or your app store could give Kodi somewhat needed added respect. And perhaps choosing a more serious name might also give additional esentive for companies such as Netflix and Spotify to be more open into providing official versions of their services as Kodi addons in the future.

I therefore would suggest to keep it simple and officially name Kodi's equivalent to the "Kodi Marketplace", "Kodi Downloads Catalog", "Kodi Addons Store", "Kodi Addons Catalog", , or similar classic and clear name instead of an abstract or abbreviated name.

I know quite a people in FOSS communities might not like names such as "store" or "marketplace" because their commercial connection as many FOSS can think that everything should be free as in free beer. I however see no good reason why the name "store" or "marketplace" should not be used by a FOSS project, even if everything or at least most addons are free. Even if the addons are free they could still maybe offer in-apps purchases or paid subscriptions for services such as streaming video or music, like Netflix and Spotify.
Kodex

Sent from my SM-G935V
(2017-01-18, 13:56)RockerC Wrote:
(2017-01-16, 21:02)smitchell6879 Wrote: My question is if Kodi had an app store like Google,apple or Amazon what would it be called.

Google has the play store
Apple has iTunes
Amazon has Amazon underground.

Kodi has..

Fill in the blank
* Correction; iTunes and Amazon Underground are not the names of the applications stores from Apple and Amazon, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mo..._platforms

Apple's software application store is named the "App Store" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/App_Store_(iOS)
Amazon's software application store is named the "Amazon Appstore" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Appstore

Others who provide similar ditrobution services on other platforms are :

Canonical's software application store is named "Ubuntu App Store"
Mozilla's plugin store which is named the "Firefox Marketplace"
Palm/HP's software application store for WebOS was named "WebOS App Catalog"
Microsoft's software application store is called "Windows Store"

(2017-01-17, 01:23)natethomas Wrote: Kodi actually has quite a bit of a brand, as do all sorts of nonprofits and other FOSS projects. These days, having a brand is pretty critical for us, as it helps differentiate us from pirate addons, cheap chinese box manufacturers and many others, or at least, that's its primary purpose at the moment. Having a branded app store would do much the same thing. "Don't download crap addons, download official, awesome addons from KAOS or The Hive or whatever."
I also think that a proper name or your app store could give Kodi somewhat needed added respect. And perhaps choosing a more serious name might also give additional esentive for companies such as Netflix and Spotify to be more open into providing official versions of their services as Kodi addons in the future.

I therefore would suggest to keep it simple and officially name Kodi's equivalent to the "Kodi Marketplace", "Kodi Downloads Catalog", "Kodi Addons Store", "Kodi Addons Catalog", , or similar classic and clear name instead of an abstract or abbreviated name.

I know quite a people in FOSS communities might not like names such as "store" or "marketplace" because their commercial connection as many FOSS can think that everything should be free as in free beer. I however see no good reason why the name "store" or "marketplace" should not be used by a FOSS project, even if everything or at least most addons are free. Even if the addons are free they could still maybe offer in-apps purchases or paid subscriptions for services such as streaming video or music, like Netflix and Spotify.
Itt seems like a matter of preference. The Question is why use the term store or marketplace if you don't have to. . If I download the Amazon App and want to look for an App you have to click the underground labeled link. it is called rebranding.
if I search for amanzon appstore in google and click the link ..

this is what the user sees

Amazon Underground App for Android

Access the Amazon everything store, get popular apps and games, and download the Amazon Video player.
Get Amazon Underground

so even the guys who sell apps are getting away from the "store" name
Box: Matircom G Box AMLS812
Kodi: SPMC
Skin APPTV
Connection ADSL(11MPS) , Ethernet
Game Systems : Wii, PS3
Cable Provider: WOW! (Wide Open West)
Media servers (windows 10 PC) Mediaportal, Playon, Kodi

Going on that the remote fore Kodi is Kore, the player is Kodi, add-on could be Kapps... Or Kodi central....
I like Kodi labworks as well.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UNIPLEXhttps://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=300091 [RIP]10