v17 "vs." is not supported
"feat." is supported, but "vs." is not supported.
Any artist name separating text you like is supported by v17, simply create the appropriate entries in advancesettings.xml

For example an extract from my advanced settings is as follows:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
<musiclibrary>
    <artistseparators>
    <separator> feat. </separator>
    <separator> Feat. </separator>
    <separator> with </separator>
    <separator>;</separator>
    <separator> ft. </separator>
    <separator> Ft. </separator>
    </artistseparators>
</musiclibrary>
</advancedsettings>

This replaces the default artist separator values, so all the artist separators you want to use must be included.
Thanks! Smile This seems to be a "secret" feature, it's not documented in anywhere.
Yep, might be a good idea @DaveBlake to add this info to the Wiki under Music.
I know I haven't documented the v17 music improvements yet, I'll try to find some time over the holidays to do that. It is there burried in the forum, but I know that isn't enough.

TBH I don't find the wiki easy to navigate either, nor sure where to add stuff. Which bits do users read?
It is almost documented in the wiki -> http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings#Music_settings (2.6.5) but I do agree that finding that information (especially if you have no clue exactly what you are looking for) is not the easiest thing to do.

Maybe a 'Music Library FAQ' linked off http://kodi.wiki/view/Music_library would be useful to answer some of the more common questions Huh
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Is this even needed if you are using artists (with s) and albumartists (with s) tags by MBZ?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2016-12-15, 13:23)steve1977 Wrote: Is this even needed if you are using artists (with s) and albumartists (with s) tags by MBZ?
No it isn't. But this allows Kodi to be kinder to those that have not tagged their music using Musicbrainz ID tags and (ALBUM)ARTISTS tags, and achieve a similar separation of individual artists.

I think if you want to scrape additional data, and/or have a mainstream music collection then tagging using Musicbrainz ID tags is very worthwhile. But that is not always the situation, and I don't believe Kodi needs to force MZB on people, especially those with large music collections.
Got it. This of course makes sense. While I really love the albumartistS feature and what Kodi (as one and only music player) does with it, Kodi should of course by no means empose this on anyone.

What I still need to find out is how I can get the fanart working for artists that only are part of albumartists, but not an individual albumartist. Will play around how this can work out.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
Quote:What I still need to find out is how I can get the fanart working for artists that only are part of albumartists, but not an individual albumartist. Will play around how this can work out.

Artwork and artist.NFO for artists that collaborate on albums (hence there is more than one album artist) is still an issue I'm afraid. The fundamental assumption that every artist has a unique folder that is common to all their music is simply flawed, but hopefully I will be able to improve that in v18.
Does it pick it up if I create an empty folder with an artist.nfo and fanart.jpg?
(2016-12-16, 17:12)steve1977 Wrote: Does it pick it up if I create an empty folder with an artist.nfo and fanart.jpg?

No. For every artist Kodi looks for a common folder that contains all the music by that artist. When you have collaborations, and the artists have other music, that gets can even leave root as the common folder for multiple artists all given the same NFO or image.

For example say you have an album by A, B and C, another by D, B and C, yet another by A, E, F - a common situation with classical music. How are you going to arrange the music under artist folders? I would use composer (the first artist), so a structure like

MyMusic
Artist_A
... ... album1,
... .... .... songs on album1 by A, B, C
... ... album3,
... .... .... songs on album3 by A, E, F

Artist_D
... album2,
.... .... songs on album2 by D, B, C

What is the folder that contains all the music by artist B? That is MyMusic.
What is the folder that contains all the music by artist C? Well that is MyMusic as well.

You will see posts on this forum with people saying they have a odd artist images cropping up all over, well that is often why. An image or NFO in MyMusic gets applied to artists that have music in more than one path in their music tree.

An empty folder... no music by anyone Kodi just won't look in it. Remember Kodi does not use the names of the folders it uses tags and the folder path of the song files.

The only situation you can get art for a collaborating artists, and then only for one of them, is say you have an album by A & B, and no other music by either A nor B. The artist folder would them be taken as the folder above the one containing that album, and both artists would get that image and NFO.

It is flawed, but I will fix it in v18. I might have made it for v17 if I had known that beta would run so long (we were looking at a June release once).
Thanks for the explanation. My interest is actually in fanart for albumartist(s) and less so for artist(s).

Let's take the example of albumartist(s) "Artist A", "Artist B" and "Artist A & Artist B". These three albumartists are in three folders, but Kodi v17 only shows two artists in the albumartists view (which is for me the most brilliant new v17 feature). When selecting "Artist A", I can see all albums of "Artist A", but also of "Artist A & Artist B". Please note that I am referring to albumartists here and not artists.

In this specific case, I'd assume that fanart would work as the fanart. I was wondering about a case, if I have music of albumartists "artist A" and "artist A & artist B", but not of "artist B". In this case, v17 would shill show two albumartists in librabry view, but "artist B" would lack fanart. So, I was wondering whether adding a "dummy folder" (artist B) with fanart.jpg would address this issue. Maybe I should just give it a try.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"vs." is not supported1