I'm ready, where do I start?
Hi, I just finished downloading all I needed to participate in Kodi and I've read several pages on how to get going. But I'm not 100% clear on my understanding of how to really get started coding right now. Do I click on some code in the xbmc repo, make a pull request for that, and then start working on it or something?
You fork (green button), then you clone to local disk, make your changes, commit them, push them and then you do the PullRequest and then you are in.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hey - welcome and thanks for taking the time to post. You are more than welcome to find a part of the code that interests you.

I am not a dev but there are a few places where you can talk to one who may be of assistance. http://kodi.wiki/view/Development#Contact_methods

hopefully some of the other dev's see this post and will reply.

here is our trac report if you would like to take a look at things http://trac.kodi.tv/report

thank you

and @fritsch beat me to it Smile
All right, then. Thanks, guys, because I did the forking and the cloning in preparation for being able to participate in Kodi. I'd certainly like to talk to someone, though.
there's #kodi-dev on freenode if you have specific questions.
Okay, that helps, because I just downloaded GitHub for Windows and I have the xbmc repository there, except for the loose code files like .codedocs. I want to start coding already, but I'm not entirely familiar with GitHub and I don't want to mess anything up in the process of coding.
I'm still kind of lost, though, I did the things I said in my last post and I'm not sure what to do now. Am I really just supposed to click on the green button that says clone or donwload to begin with? Also, my local copy of xbmc is not showing on my GitHub for Windows.
I'm sorry, I do have the local copy of xbmc in my GitHub for Windows, but the files themselves don't show and the software is saying "No changes, would you like to open this repository in Explorer?"
GitHub for Windows is a tool that allows you to manage/version the changed files in your local copy. It's not a development tool in itself. So just pick any development interface you like (VisualStudio, Eclipse, ...) and use these to code. Once you're done with your changes you can use GitHub for Windows to "commit" (add) these changes to your local GIT index, and after that, you can push the updated index to GitHub itself and create a PullRequest.
i highly recommend you do the github bootcamp. it's awesome and will have you up and running in short time.
@da-anda and @ironic_monkey: Okay, I'll try to do these things. What I'm managing to do so far is look at someone's code and try to understand what they're trying to do.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I'm ready, where do I start?0