• 1(current)
FanArt backdrop support in XBMC's skinning-engine and scrapers (for Music and Videos)
Lightbulb 
This idea comes from the Centerstage team. (and already implemented in Mediaportal by plugin)

"Fan Art, is a downloadable iTunes Music store-esque page. It
is simply a skin and re-layout of the information page but
with some slight tweaks. As we have seen, the ability to press
and hold the Play button brings up all the metadata available
for an item on the Information Page. The way Fan Art works is
that default Information page is replaced by Fan Art if a Fan
Art page has been downloaded and installed for that item."

So people can make their own fanart (images/colors) for movies/music and upload it to the projectwebsite. (thetvdb.com?)
At the moment there already is a website containing over 700 images for music, films and series.

It seems the Centerstage and Mediaportal devs are discussing the implementation of this feature so there can be some sort of fanart-standard.
Maybe a good idea for xbmc to join the fun Smile

centerstage topic about fanart

Example normal vs fanart:
I agree this could be very cool and really make it sparkle. Something to look into anyway I would think..
Lightbulb 
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/fan_ar...ml?t=28830

Image Image Image

interesting, especially for TV-Shows I think, ...someone should suggest it to TheTVDB.com (and their sister site Movie-XML for movies) Cool

[EDIT]: Why don't you try PM Scott Zsori (a.k.a. szsori), he is the owner of those sites and a member of this XBMC community forums Wink
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I'm sure you all realize that there's more to it than just a backdrop!

Notice that the skin is changed pretty much completely.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Yeah, a fanartdownload would be a backdrop and some colorvalues to change skincolors. The fanartpagelayout stays the same though. (But can be offcourse different depending on the skin.)

Some more examples:

Look I have to admit it looks nice and I would like it added too but those examples to me are just 50% wasted space
Like I said on irc though it would all have to be cached locally on the xbox/linux box because the time to load these sorts of images over a network share for every folder would be very long indeed ( 2 to 5 seconds depending on size ) and for that time it would look dull and odd.
that being said on Implimentaion side of things A tag like <info>Container.FanArt<info>
with a FanArt.tbn (not really a tbn thumbnail I know) stored like folder.tbn would probably do it
would be nice to have <info>Container.FanInfo<info> and FanInfo.txt as well to scroll some text up about a picture movie music or whatever.

I think this looks great personally

umm also FanInfo.jpg so the whole folder of stuff can use the Artwork would be helpfull and save having to make every file have artwork
Smile 
jmarshall Wrote:I'm sure you all realize that there's more to it than just a backdrop!

Notice that the skin is changed pretty much completely.
Yes, and therefor IMHO it should only be added to the VideoInfo view for movies and same for TV-Shows, ...the only extreme is Album view for music.
Question 
How much work would it be to add FanArt backdrop support to XBMC's skinning-engine?, ...meaning adding it to libGUI code, and not the skins XML (as that would come only later after XBMC's skinning-engine already supports FanArt backdrops).

Could it maybe be ported from MediaPortal for a faster and eaiser implementation into XBMC?
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/my_tvseries-f162.html
I believe it is open source in "My TVSeries" (the MediaPortal MyTV-Series plugin)

Huh
For anyone interested, I'm considering adding Fan Art support to my site (TheTVDB.com). I already explained elsewhere that if I do this, the art will have different requirements than the current Fan Art available. Instead of people putting gradients into these images to get them to work with specific software and skins, I'd want them as "stock" as possible. It would then be up to the software/skins to overlay the proper gradient/alpha channel/whatever to make it look right for their users. It would be slightly harder getting it to work for XBMC as a result, but it would work for any skin/view layout.
sounds excellent Big Grin I look forward to at least the possibility of something like this being added to xbmc. I think it could really add something to the music and tv sections of skins
Simply amazing !!! custom individual page, great idea .... :p
This would be an awesome addition to XBMC Smile
Hardware: Revo 3610 + SSD - Harmony 700 Remote
Software: XBMCBuntu Gotham - Sickbeard - SabNZBd+

any state of progress ? or may this is not possible to have : /
Something as in -depth as shown I don't think it going to happen, and a lot of what MIGHT happen would depend on the skin being used as well - IE how much they support fan art.

With that said this does intrigue me, and if it intrigues me enough and we can work something out I might be willing to do this.

Seems to me we could do something very close with a couple pieces of information.

1) An image infolabel that would return the fanart backdrop
2) A conditional that you could use to return a color scheme. This would most likely be very VERY simple and limited -- perhaps a dozen color schemes hard coded. The skin could then use that to display any gradients or changes needed. This would be up to the skin.

I just woke up so I apologize for not expounding a bit more, but i'd like to get some feedback. I can explain a bit more later on if you all want, but as a skinner I see how I can make this work with that information. Most likely what would have to happen is have TheTVDB include that fanart backdrop as szori mentioned and it would just get scraped along with the show using that new zip interface. TheTVDB should give the backdrop and a color scheme.

To expand on the color scheme -- again since the skin would have to make it work and can't dynamicly generate any color in the world, it would have to be restricted to a set of predefined colors. Kind of like how webpages have certain colors you can specify via text.

Anyway let's get some discussion goign and if we can work out something more basic like this i'm willing to do it in the code, and make a skin to show it off.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FanArt backdrop support in XBMC's skinning-engine and scrapers (for Music and Videos)0