OTA Kodi 9.2.8 on RPi3 with HDHR-US (original) and HDFX-4K w/weak stations
I've got three HDHR units connected to various antennas.  I just reinstalled everything from scratch, but had to go with the older Kodi because of the Pi being older (3).

I installed the PVR HDHomerun from SiliconDust (not sure if that's the best choice or not)  I think I used a different add-on before (TV Headend?).  So question 1 is: What's the preferred add-on for OTA, multiple antenna, some marginal signal situation?  One add-in had a fatal flaw: if you tune to a weak station, you can't do anything (stopping the add-in doesn't even work, you need to uninstall it, and reinstall it).

But to back-up, after installing the SiliconDust PVR add-on, I get one channel for each, and it's not selecting the strongest signal.  So I tune in, and it's pixelated, but there's no way to pop to an alternate antenna that I'm seeing.  I tried to find the place in 9.2.8 to disable collapsing duplicate channels, but wasn't able to come-up with that.

I haven't used Kodi to watch live TV in a long time, but it's March Madness coming up, and having the ability to tune into the big OTA stations live is going to be helpful.

Please advise with any and all clues to helping me move forward.

I realized after writing the above that it's all about which add-on is being used.  My Kodi install is two flights of stairs away from this computer, so I don't have all of the details while writing this.  It would be nice to know which add-in has the best support for multi-antenna, with a mix of weak stations, and also supports the old, original HDHR.
(2023-03-14, 23:46)sengsational Wrote: I've got three HDHR units connected to various antennas.  I just reinstalled everything from scratch, but had to go with the older Kodi because of the Pi being older (3).

I installed the PVR HDHomerun from SiliconDust (not sure if that's the best choice or not)  I think I used a different add-on before (TV Headend?).  So question 1 is: What's the preferred add-on for OTA, multiple antenna, some marginal signal situation?  One add-in had a fatal flaw: if you tune to a weak station, you can't do anything (stopping the add-in doesn't even work, you need to uninstall it, and reinstall it).

But to back-up, after installing the SiliconDust PVR add-on, I get one channel for each, and it's not selecting the strongest signal.  So I tune in, and it's pixelated, but there's no way to pop to an alternate antenna that I'm seeing.  I tried to find the place in 9.2.8 to disable collapsing duplicate channels, but wasn't able to come-up with that.

I haven't used Kodi to watch live TV in a long time, but it's March Madness coming up, and having the ability to tune into the big OTA stations live is going to be helpful.

Please advise with any and all clues to helping me move forward.

I realized after writing the above that it's all about which add-on is being used.  My Kodi install is two flights of stairs away from this computer, so I don't have all of the details while writing this.  It would be nice to know which add-in has the best support for multi-antenna, with a mix of weak stations, and also supports the old, original HDHR.

I have a somewhat similar setup with 3 SiliconDust tuners.  In my case they all go to the same antenna but that really shouldn't matter.  I run the Kodi addon for Silicon Dust.  It is called HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client in the Kodi repo and for Kodi 19 the current version is 4.9.0 .  For recording I am running the SiliconDust DVR on my Mezzmo server under Windows.  With regards to your question about your various tuners seeing the same station but one tuner has a good signal and you don't want the DVR or Kodi client to select that tuner, that is handled in the SiliconDust software where you can disable specific channels for specific tuners.  That is not a Kodi thing. 

To disable or prefer specific tuners for a particular channel you need to go into the channel lineup for the tuner and set your preferences.  You can go through the HDHomeRun Setup program or go directly to the tuner line-up  by IP address.  For example:  http://192.168.0.105/lineup.html  is the URL of one of my tuners. 

You can see where I have blocked some channels on this tuner (red X) and preferred other channels for DVR recording (Yellow star).   After you have blocked some channels I believe you need to do a rescan in the HD HomeRun software so it removes the channels from the specific tuner.  I was trying to find online instructions on SlliconDust's website but was unable to.  I am sure they are there somewhere.

Last night I was watching my system and I had 3 HD OTA recordings going at the same time and was watching a 4th.  It's nice to have up to 12 tuners.  The most I have seen in use at once is 6.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Thanks for the reply, Jeff.  Very helpful data point.  Nice set-up!  I've got a lot less invested in equipment that you.

One of my HDHRs, the HDFX-4K, has the web server to manage lineups.  The other, old ones, don't.  I know that I'm giving myself problems by trying to hang on to the old tuners.  But the old tuners, each having two separate antenna inputs, is valuable in my case because I have antenna farms in 4 different directions.

But let me say that your suggestion improved the situation here because CBS is broadcasting on two frequencies here, and I think the encoding on one of the frequencies is a problem.  So I can "red X" those bad-boys because CBS is coming through the new tuner, and at will solve at least one problem.  So thank you.

--Dale--
(2023-03-15, 16:32)sengsational Wrote: But let me say that your suggestion improved the situation here because CBS is broadcasting on two frequencies here, and I think the encoding on one of the frequencies is a problem.  So I can "red X" those bad-boys because CBS is coming through the new tuner, and at will solve at least one problem.  So thank you.

I am glad I was able to help.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OTA Kodi 9.2.8 on RPi3 with HDHR-US (original) and HDFX-4K w/weak stations0