Show periodically updated variable on home screen.
Hi all,

I've been trying to display the currently playing song of my MPD daemon on my home screen. I'm not new to programming, but I am new to Kodi and it's internals.

I was hoping it would be as easy as declaring a variable that is available to the skin/interface elements/xml, and updating that variable using external scripts (i've got some python scripts that output the exact string I need in a variable). I've ended up thinking I need a add-on or service to periodically run the external scripts and update the variable, but I'm getting nowhere.

All help is appreciated.

PS: I'm not looking for a plugin or add-on or service that already does this for me, or a MPD client or whatever. My main goal posting here is to understand what I need to do, not find something that already does this.

Thanks!
Yes, you need a python service which updates the skin variables you need. If you like look at my very basic service which updates some variables of a hardware monitor.
https://github.com/Snecx/service.skinhelper.IP
You can get the variables in the screen with a info var. Something like this $INFO[Window(Home).Property(SkinHelperIP.wanip)
This should help you.
@_Andy_ That does help! Thanks!
Hi _Andy_ !

Could You adopt this service to run on Python 3 ( Matrix and newer ) ?
I tried with python2to3 but there are errors starting after conversion.

I am trying to display some temperatures on my home screen on Kodi 19.4 from windows using Open Hardware Monitor with the skin mimic.lr ...

Kind regards : Zoltan.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Show periodically updated variable on home screen.0