Window Manager/X issue?
New problem popped up after upgrading packages and I'm not sure how to track it down. Basically, when attempting to log on to my Kodi box locally (at the TV), I get the lightDM greeter for username/password just fine. If I attempt to login to the Ubuntu desktop, the screen blanks for a couple of seconds and then drops right back to the greeter, asking for username/password again (if I enter the wrong pw it gives me an error). If I attempt to login in to the MATE desktop, it loads but at something like 640x480 res on a 1920x1080p display. Everything is giant. I'm guessing the Ubuntu desktop is just dying at that resolution. I can't load Kodi from MATE, it just dies after a blank screen as well.

From the MATE desktop I have checked Display settings and it says the physical display is at 1920x1080p.

I can login via X2Go remotely and get a perfectly functional desktop so I believe the issue is with the configuration of the TV as monitor but I don't know where to look from here. I'd appreciate any suggestions and advice!
Seems you TV does not support the desktop and Kodi video resolutions output by your PC to your TV. Your desktop is setup as 1920x1080 but your TV switches to 640x480 mode (that's why you see 'everything giant'). Sort-out your TV video switching modes (TV settings, not PC video settings) and it will all come good.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Window Manager/X issue?0