Kodi 17 - PVR-Streams start with delay of 6-8 secs

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
rbuehlma Offline
I did some analysis:

If I open the HLS stream by opening a .strm File in Kodi, I still experience this same behaviour (still picture with sound after 2-3 seconds and moving image after about 6-8 seconds). This rules out the addon as source of the problem.

To analyze the cause, I did capture the HTTP-Requests when opening the stream with VLC:

[Image: vlc.png]

and also with Kodi

[Image: kodi.png]

Both player first GET the .m3u8 files for all qualities but while VLC then does directly start to play the highest-quality stream (5000 .key and .ts files), Kodi does first GET all the streams for every quality and then decides for the same quality as VLC.

This at least explains the delay of the 2-3 seconds. I'm not sure if also the 6+ seconds of still image is related to this.
find quote
tmmoore800 Offline
Same issue here. Thank you for the detailed explanation.
find quote
rainman74 Offline
look for detailed log files here: http://www.kodinerds.net/index.php/Threa...?pageNo=64
find quote
yomo86 Offline
OK tested it with the most recent build in Win32 and with an Android on S905x still the error persist.
find quote
rainman74 Offline
New error since build 8b422f7459, which causes delay of about 5 dec:

ERROR: CDVDAudio::AddPacketsRenderer - timeout adding data to renderer
NOTICE: CVideoPlayerAudio::Process - stream stalled
NOTICE: VideoPlayer: OnResetDisplay received
find quote
yomo86 Offline
We tried it today at work, as one of our live guest TVs is actually just a big screen connected to a PC. The error occurs even on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, nightly or release does not matter. Same output same log. The PVR-API got screwed up big time.
(This post was last modified: 2017-03-09 20:21 by yomo86.)
find quote
ksooo Offline
Team-Kodi Member
(2017-03-09 20:21)yomo86 Wrote:  The PVR-API got screwed up big time.

While I understand that things do not work correctly for you, you don't even have an idea what the " PVR API" is, do you. So, please stop making such statements.
find quote
bigbadrabbit Offline
Apart from each others accusations, can a responsible dev turn the discussion and have a look at the provided infos and logs in here, please?

Kodi Krypton
macOS Sierra 10.12
Mac mini (late 2012)
find quote
yomo86 Offline
(2017-03-10 08:57)ksooo Wrote:  

While I understand that things do not work correctly for you, you don't even have an idea what the " PVR API" is, do you. So, please stop making such statements.

You are right it is merely an educated guess. As of BETA 4 everything in the PVR department worked flawlessly and the official changelog of BETA 5 states that the PVR-API has been rewritten narrowing it down with this kinda information (the logs provide and other suddenly with the exact same behaviour-flawed PVR-Add-Ons, as well; furthermore the user opinions here) was not such a big of a leap.

The tone implies that my personal guess is offending. While I do appreciate everything the KODI Team does, it is quite remarkable that this thread has not received an official reply, any reply, for three month. Not even the usual 'we working on it' or simply 'it has been noted' until an aggravated statement has been made, and this statement basically says I am uneducated.

My wife, kids and I live on a base in Germany, as such we, and a lot of others would really like to enjoy a small part of 'home'. This is not nit-picking about an obscure add-on, it happens with USTVNow, Eurosport, ESPN, FoxSports, Zattoo, Mangine basically anything that involves streaming in a particular "channel"-like fashion.
(This post was last modified: 2017-03-11 20:40 by yomo86.)
find quote
ksooo Offline
Team-Kodi Member
(2017-03-11 20:37)yomo86 Wrote:  
(2017-03-10 08:57)ksooo Wrote:  

... While I do appreciate everything the KODI Team does, it is quite remarkable that this thread has not received an official reply, any reply, for three month. Not even the usual 'we working on it' or simply 'it has been noted' until an aggravated statement has been made, ...

@FernetMenta ping, people complaining not getting support. My "educated guess" is that we're facing a VideoPlayer problem here. ;-)
find quote
rbuehlma Offline
It could even be a combination of two problems:

2-3 seconds due to the above described behaviour of fetching all the streams

~6 seconds of still image while having sound: There are some users reporting that this does not happen with Kodi 17.1 on Android if Mediacodec is used. For me, this sounds like a demuxing or decoding problem.

Let me know If I can help by providing a sample of the stream (just give me a hint on how to dump it Smile ).
find quote
rainman74 Offline
New error in actual nightly build:

17:40:33.886 T:2592 ERROR: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Decode - avcodec_decode_video returned failure
17:40:34.310 T:1256 ERROR: Previous line repeats 198 times.
find quote
FernetMenta Offline
Team-Kodi Developer
(2017-03-11 21:50)ksooo Wrote:  @FernetMenta ping, people complaining not getting support. My "educated guess" is that we're facing a VideoPlayer problem here. ;-)

I came by serveral times already but never found steps to reproduce.
find quote
rainman74 Offline
@FernetMenta to reproduce, generate a free zattoo account (http://zattoo.com) and then install the pvr.zattoo plugin if your choice

pvr.zattoo-0.1.28_armV7.zip
pvr.zattoo-0.1.28_Generic_x68_64.zip
pvr.zattoo-0.1.28_OSX_64.zip
pvr.zattoo-0.1.28_RPi.zip
pvr.zattoo-0.1.28_RPi2.zip
pvr.zattoo-0.1.28_win32.zip

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Au4QgT0yuh6DkEER4VASTt2XUP-c

and then start a stream...
find quote
FernetMenta Offline
Team-Kodi Developer
If you suspect an issue in core, it needs to be reproduceable without any addon.
find quote