v18 changing white bars to black bars in player
Hi, first time posting here. I've made some research before posting this question.

I have kodi V18 on my android box and with some movies/shows that are not in a standard aspect ratio of 1:77, I have whites bars on the top and bottom of the screen instead of ''regular black bars''. The white color is very bright and I would like to change it to black. If it's not a possibility, is there another player I could add-on to achieve this?

Thanks.
Very odd. Kodi has always given me black bars.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Indeed. Never had this kind of problem with the version 16. It even seems odd why someone would prefer white bars.
You say "some" - a source issue? Where are they coming from?
(2016-12-24, 20:34)Prof Yaffle Wrote: You say "some" - a source issue? Where are they coming from?

All shows/movies that is not a regular 1:77 ratio (ones that would normally have the black bars on top and bottom), have white bars instead. Like it was configured that way in the player directly.
Seems hard to have information

Read the link below and come back here if your issue has nothing in common...

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=293115
This has just recently started happening on my set up. Approx 80% showing white bars but there are still some with black bars.

Did you find a solution?
This thread is, sadly, going to go nowhere without more information or a sample. If no-one can confirm otherwise, I have to assume that these are dodgy streams and/or sources, and thus Kodi will plead innocent of all charges...

Please prove me wrong otherwise.
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
Video 
Here is a sample with side bars on BBC iPlayer. Similar problems exist with white letterbox ingredients on other sources. I know I can zoom/stretch etc but I would prefer these bars to be black.

That's very odd... I can't immediately comment on the bars, although there appears to be some text in the top-left that my be relevant. However, it also looks to me like that's in 4:3 and not the 16:9 that iPlayer is carrying (I just checked). So the bars shouldn't be there at all, unless your TV is a very odd aspect ratio.

I would point a finger at configuration, therefore. Just iPlayer? If so, it's presumably an addon problem; other local sources as well? If so, it's a Kodi configuration problem; Kodi interface as well? If so, it's an overscan/scaling poblem (either Kodi output or TV).
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
FWIW, this is the central piece of the image you posted - I've trimmed it and sheared it straight, but it's basically just your picture, scaled to 33% to fit on the forum page. You can follow the links to see the ful-size originals.

Link.

Not surprisingly, that's a 1.35 aspect ratio - so 4:3, allowing for my fat GIMP fingers. This is the same image, scaled horizontally to be 16:9:

Link.

Definitely an aspect ratio problem as a starting point.
I apologise for that image it was misleading. I was looking for an instance of letterboxing on iPlayer but couldn't find one so I purposely adjusted the aspect ratio to illustrate the white background.

I have attached a new image below from the trailer addict addon which shows a movie trailer in original letterbox form along with the white bar issue. I can zoom in and eliminate the bars but I would prefer to watch in original format.

Then it's debug_log (wiki) o'clock, I suspect - I've never seen that, although I haven't tried v18 on Android (assuming you're using that) so perhaps it's that. Let's see if someone can tell from the log, then.
So I've finally give up and went back to V16.1 and everything is fine now.
Well greenguy thanks for your fabulous contribution to debugging potential bugs in Krypton. Without your debug log our developers' crystal ball will be busy.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
changing white bars to black bars in player0