Req music: add support for GROUPING
Hi Dev-Team,
is it possible to add support for the "GROUPING / Grouping / Content Group" Tag in Tagreader?

Best regards an Merry Christmas
Cavaradossi
I would assume this request is intended for the music library - replacing "Tagreader" with "music" in the tread title will make it easier for me to find in future.

Adding processing for the Content group description tag - TIT1 (ID3), GROUPING (Vorbis), ©grp (mp4), WM/ContentGroupDescription (WMP) - has been requested before. See http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=106507, and http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=143294

Also http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=268762 for discussion.

What isn't clear to me is what Kodi then does with this information. The ID3 documentation says of TIT1:
Quote: The 'Content group description' frame is used if the sound belongs to a larger category of sounds/music. For example, classical music is often sorted in different musical sections (e.g. "Piano Concerto", "Weather - Hurricane").
That makes TIT1 sounds like a work title (e.g. Brandenburg Concerto) a way to group the parts of a composition together, but that is also the use of TOAL/WORK, at least that is how Picard tags classical music which has work information defined. There is also TIT3/SUBTITLE tag which the ID3 documentation example treats like work title too. Others have mentioned using TIT1 as a kind of subgenre.

I am up for adding GROUPING/TIT1, SUBTITLE/TIT3, and WORK/TOAL to Kodi, but wonder if they can be something more than just song properties that get displayed and used as song smart playlist rules, song filtering, and sorting (combined with other fields). Do we codify the values so that they can be listed, much like genre?

I found this on another forum regarding use:
Quote:My understanding, from where its use was clarified in the v2.4 tags standard, is that content grouping (TIT1/Title1 tag) sits between the genre tag (which is the content type tag) and the Track Title tag (TIT2/ Title2), but separate from the Album Title. A cross between a sub-genre and a description. There is also a sub-title tag (TIT3/Title3).
more practically you can have Classical (genre) - Overtures (group) - Freudenfest Overture (track title) - S148 in D major (sub-title) from Hummel·Mandolin Concerto & Others (Album)
Is that how you have used the GROUPING tag?

But as uncommon tags with diverse uses I guess Kodi will be able to do little with them because it just isn't clear how they have been used (if at all).
Hi DaveBlake,
thanks for reply.

(2016-12-24, 12:21)DaveBlake Wrote: I would assume this request is intended for the music library - replacing "Tagreader" with "music" in the tread title will make it easier for me to find in future.
Done

(2016-12-24, 12:21)DaveBlake Wrote: What isn't clear to me is what Kodi then does with this information to do little with them because it just isn't clear how they have been used (if at all).
For example: I use this tag to group the 4 operas from "Der Ring des Nibelungen". MediaInfo ->

Code:
General
Complete name                            : Z:\Oper\Wagner · Der Ring des Nibelungen - Orchester der Bayreuther Festspiele, Christian Thielemann (2008)\02 - Die Walküre\Disc 01\16 - Act 1 - Winterstürme wichen dem Wonnemond.flac
Format                                   : FLAC
Format/Info                              : Free Lossless Audio Codec
File size                                : 16.1 MiB
Duration                                 : 3 min 11 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 702 kb/s
Album                                    : Wagner · Die Walküre
Album/Performer                          : Orchester der Bayreuther Festspiele / Christian Thielemann / Orchester der Bayreuther Festspiele / Christian Thielemann
Part                                     : 01/04
Part/Total                               : 04
Track name                               : Act 1 - Winterstürme wichen dem Wonnemond
Track name/Position                      : 16/20
Track name/Total                         : 20
Performer                                : Endrik Wottrich / Orchester der Bayreuther Festspiele / Christian Thielemann
Composer                                 : Richard Wagner
Conductor                                : Christian Thielemann
Genre                                    : Klassik / Oper
Recorded date                            : 2009
Cover                                    : Yes / Yes
Cover type                               : Cover (front) / Cover (front)
Cover MIME                               : image/jpeg / image/jpeg
GROUPING                                 : Wagner - Der Ring des Nibelungen (Thielemann)
CONTENTGROUP                             : Wagner - Der Ring des Nibelungen (Thielemann)

Another example could be grouping of the 9 Beethoven symphonies (Beethoven cycle).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
music: add support for GROUPING0