Expand SD Card RPi
I have 5 RPi's. I am experimenting between OpenELEC and OSMC. I know that both "shrink" a partition on the card and leave a large section of the card empty.

I have read some threads discussing expanding the volume of the root partition. I have also read that the larger partition is used by the system but Im not sure how.

Can anyone please clear up the confusion about this. Should I expand the volume to the size of the card? Are there advantages in doing this? Increase cache?

Does the system use this empty space?

I am sorry if this is addressed elsewhere in the forum. I might night be searching the right keywords.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any assistance.
(2016-12-28, 02:42)hootie318 Wrote: I have 5 RPi's. I am experimenting between OpenELEC and OSMC. I know that both "shrink" a partition on the card and leave a large section of the card empty.

I have read some threads discussing expanding the volume of the root partition. I have also read that the larger partition is used by the system but Im not sure how.

Can anyone please clear up the confusion about this. Should I expand the volume to the size of the card? Are there advantages in doing this? Increase cache?

Does the system use this empty space?

I am sorry if this is addressed elsewhere in the forum. I might night be searching the right keywords.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any assistance.

When you use OSMC installer and img when booting the SD card it opens up the rest of the card for storage ext4
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
WD MyCloud 24TB over Netgear network | 6500 movies and 40,000+ TV Show episodes
Thread moved to RPi.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
You're better off using LibreElec than OpenElec, as the latter is basically now a dead project and the former is a fork from it with almost all of the OE developers behind it.

In the case of LE/OE the remaining space is also partitioned off as an ext4 partition, and can be used to store media etc. You can access it either via SMB, SFTP/SSH if you have that enabled on your set-up, or alternatively use either a Linux based machine or a Windows one with suitable software for seeing/reading ext4 partitions (see here for a few examples) and then access the card that way to make use of the space. Or you can use WinSCP to access the card over your network via SSH (again that needs to be enabled) and move files across that way.

It's formatted ext4 as that is the optimised one for Linux-based systems to access, and this is also why you only see the other root partition if you just put the card into a Windows machine directly.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-12-28, 11:00)DarrenHill Wrote: You're better off using LibreElec than OpenElec, as the latter is basically now a dead project and the former is a fork from it with almost all of the OE developers behind it.

In the case of LE/OE the remaining space is also partitioned off as an ext4 partition, and can be used to store media etc. You can access it either via SMB, SFTP/SSH if you have that enabled on your set-up, or alternatively use either a Linux based machine or a Windows one with suitable software for seeing/reading ext4 partitions (see here for a few examples) and then access the card that way to make use of the space. Or you can use WinSCP to access the card over your network via SSH (again that needs to be enabled) and move files across that way.

It's formatted ext4 as that is the optimised one for Linux-based systems to access, and this is also why you only see the other root partition if you just put the card into a Windows machine directly.

I tried LibreElec and Live TV using HDhomerun with Comcast CNN Channel which is HD1080 the scrolling marquee at the bottom of the screen studders and OSMC does not.
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
(2017-01-15, 15:07)Rickt1962 Wrote: I tried LibreElec and Live TV using HDhomerun with Comcast CNN Channel which is HD1080 the scrolling marquee at the bottom of the screen studders and OSMC does not.

Is this on Pi2?
(2017-01-15, 15:35)popcornmix Wrote:
(2017-01-15, 15:07)Rickt1962 Wrote: I tried LibreElec and Live TV using HDhomerun with Comcast CNN Channel which is HD1080 the scrolling marquee at the bottom of the screen studders and OSMC does not.

Is this on Pi2?

Pi2 and pi 3
(2017-02-14, 01:41)Rickt1962 Wrote: Pi2 and pi 3

I wouldn't expect any difference. Migh tbe worth trying a Krypton release.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Expand SD Card RPi0