XBMC for Linux - Tips and Tricks
A$$!!! Some people get all the luck. I'm jealouse!! That would be SO killer to go see him play. Lucky!!! Smile
Roger Waters was great!!! One of the best concerts I've been to!

When I run "./XboxMediaCenter -q" I get the error code: "The XBMC_HOME environment variable is not set." and "Segmentation fault".

What now?

Regards,

//Odin
Please start a new thread for this instead. It doesn't really belong in the "Tips and Tricks". Shocked

In the new thread please provide a full debug log. And you might aswell try to do a complete rebuild (along with deleting XBMC and svn checkout it again), mostly for us not chasing ghosts.
If you still get segment faults you should provide a gdb backtrace, should be explained in this thread howto do that aswell.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Rodalpho,

Could you explain your Freenx setup a little more? Doesn't this result in two X sessions, thus two instances of XBMC? I am just looking for a faster alternative to VNC, which is way to slow to remotely control XBMC. I have a feeling that what I am looking for is just not possible. Thanks.

Dustin
Please don't use this thread for discussion, this is just for HOWTOs. Start new threads for your questions.

In fact, if the mods want to delete all non-HOWTO posts, that would be a good idea.
While they're at it...replace that direct apt-get line with a link to the README.
wattazoum Wrote:This was only for Gusty. Hardy is not officially supported yet.

But I have created a package for Hardy (which is highly instable) .
For this, use the same trick with the information at:

https://edge.launchpad.net/~team-xbmc-hardy/+archive/

Just to clarify, are you saying that XBMC is highly instable under Hardy, or that the package is unstable under Hardy ... or in other words, is the package a straight compile of the SVN or has it been modified in some way to cause the instability? Cause it looks like SVN compiles seems to be quite stable under Hardy.

Thanks,
Harry
well, actually I modified it to be able to package but that doesn't cause any instability at all.

My problem is, on the 2 computers that I have under hardy, I can't play a video with XBMC (even compiled from svn, so I didn't understand.
It didn't stopped me from packaging it. So you can install and try . It won't break your system. And you can tell me if it works for you.
I wiped my account out and now it's working . So I apologize for this ,it was my fault for having the account from gutsy to hardy.
I have pinpointed the problem. It was due to pulseaudio which I had activated on my accounts.
Her is a little howto on how to enable suspend/resume in XBMC.

http://pmaster.no/howto/lirc_suspend_resume.txt
Apparently I'm not the only person who this has happened to, so:

Ubuntu has a bug where certain crashes will screw up your audio so only analog audio will play. Unfortunately XBMC causes these crashes frequently. If this happens, rename /etc/init.d/alsa-utils (to alsa-utils.BAK or something) and reboot. Once you boot, name it back to alsa-utils, run alsamixer to set up your audio again, and you should be good to go.
For the initial scripts, change XboxMediaCenter to xbmc.bin if using the repos.
This seems like a great script, and I would love to get it to work. But I dont... Sad

(Of course I make the personalization changes)

My guess is that the script is outdated. Could you, or someone else, please update it?

rodalpho Wrote:Here are some simple shell scripts that you may find useful. I'm not a particularly strong scripter, so I'm sure these can be greatly improved.

I created a script to enable shutdown and restart functionality visible in xbmc ui. so when you click shutdown, the box issues the command shutdown -h now and if you click restart the box issues the command shutdown -r now.

I dont know if anyone else have made a script like this, but anyways, here's my version of it.

http://pastebin.com/f473813a4

cheers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for Linux - Tips and Tricks2