Emby hardware advice requested
(@admin - Was not sure the best place for this, please move as needed. Sorry for any inconvenience.)

when krypton is released I am planning OS upgrades on all my kodi devices at the same time.
Seam like a good time to give emby server a try. I would like to make the best use of my system so I am looking for a little advice from the experts.

Here is what I currently have to work with:

1) Mac Mini (Late 2009) OS X 10.8.5/8gigs Ram -Wired Gigabyte network
Currently all my media is served via SMB from here on 4 drives.
I also use this as my Transmission/Torrent device.
It is also a general use system from time to time.
(On all the time used everyday)

2) Acer Chrome-box GalliumOS 1.0 (soon 2.0) 2gig Ram-Wired Gigabyte network
This is our primary Kodi box connected to a TV via HDMI
(Used everyday)

3) HP Chrome Box GalliumOS 1.0 (soon 2.0) 2gig Ram-Wired Gigabyte network
Kodi box connected to a TV via HDMI
(Used Occasionally)

4) Raspberry Pi 3-LibreElec – Wifi Networked at this time.
(Used Occasionally)

5) Asus (Old Laptop) Xubuntu 16.04 – Wifi Networked at this time.
(Used everyday)

6) HD HomeRun Connect

So where to put Emby server?
The Mac is the easiest but is it the best?
Also I am open to relocating the media/drives if there is an advantage to doing so.

New hardware was not under the Christmas tree this year so I will need to make this work with what I have.

As always thank you for your help and advice

have a happy new year-if that is possible
This would be better in hardware, although you'd be better still asking in the emby community .
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
@mxlance are you needing emby to transcode or just serve the files? how many simultaneous clients?
@mattdevo
thank you for the reply

1) I do not think I need transcoding as video plays just fine even on the raspberry pi and the laptop over wifi.
Unless I am misunderstanding the need for transcoding?

2) 90% of the time one client at a time some times two clients
(2016-12-30, 00:22)mxlance Wrote: @mattdevo
thank you for the reply

1) I do not think I need transcoding as video plays just fine even on the raspberry pi and the laptop over wifi.
Unless I am misunderstanding the need for transcoding?

2) 90% of the time one client at a time some times two clients

don't see a reason not to run it on the Mac mini then, since that's where the files are anyway.
Don't see a reason to use it at all.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
the primary reason for using emby was for library sync across all clients. i tried mysql and had nothing but problems.
i really would like watched status the same on all my clients. this looks like a simple way. unless i am in error.

thank you for the advice
(2016-12-30, 02:14)nickr Wrote: Don't see a reason to use it at all.

it's by far the easiest way to sync multiple clients and provide seamless access to content when you're away from home
(2016-12-30, 03:34)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-12-30, 02:14)nickr Wrote: Don't see a reason to use it at all.

it's by far the easiest way to sync multiple clients and provide seamless access to content when you're away from home

Or Plex server + PlexKodiConnect add-on.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
emby appears to be a better fit for us. i hope
I would agree that Emby is the best option for syncing libraries on multiple devices, both local and remote, and managing media and metadata. The Emby addon for Kodi just works.

If your Mac Mini is serving your files fine now there is no need to upgrade to run Emby Server on it as it adds no overhead and passes direct links to the files the same as SMB. In fact you can choose between SMB and HTTPS. Even if you plan to transcode your Mac Mini should be able to handle 2 1080p streams no problem.
^^ this is true.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
thank you all for the replies.
i am feeling better about this now. looking forward getting this setup

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Emby hardware advice requested0