Privacy Policy
Hi, I'm wondering about the 'Privacy Policy'...

Does this 'Privacy Policy' apply to both the Kodi website and the Kodi application?

Is the XBMC Foundation and/or Team Kodi profiting by selling user-information?

Why does a free-as-in-beer open-source application need a 'Privacy Policy'?

Why was the 'Privacy Policy' added to the Kodi website?

And why was the 'Privacy Policy' added to the Kodi application?

Can anyone who has knowledge explain the 'Privacy Policy' addition?

Thank you.
Any organisation should be transparant in how they handle personally identifyable information.
We have millions of users of our software, and some of those users share personally identifyable information with us.

We have an obligation to behave nicely with this data and transparantly.
That is why we need a Privacy Policy.
Hi, I wrote the privacy policy (and by "wrote," I mean, copied tremendously from Mozilla with some changes that apply to us), so I can answer as much as anyone. I'll answer your questions in order.

1. Yes. The policy describes all the ways in which the team acquires info, whether through the app or the website or whatever.
2. This question is actually answered in the policy under "When do we share your information." The short answer is no, we are not selling user info, nor would we be able to, since we have so little of it. The most detailed version of user info we have with regards to the actual Kodi application is, "We think we have x number of users." That number is currently I think around 25 or 30 million, but even that is a guesstimate. If you check out the policy on the website, there's a link to a blog post explaining how we make our guesstimates. We do have slightly more detailed info about website visits, but if you've ever used Google Analytics, you know that even that info isn't particularly detailed. For example, we know that the top two countries in terms of visitors are the US and UK. The info doesn't go much deeper than that.
3. Your guess is as good as ours. When we submitted Kodi to the Microsoft store, they required a privacy policy. We found the privacy policy of Mozilla, which is another FOSS application, it sounded reasonably close to how we run things, so we adapted it to how we work and made it our own. We don't really know why MS would need a FOSS organization to have a privacy policy, but we figured there was no harm in it, and maybe there would be users interested in how we do these kinds of things.
4. See 3.
5. See 3 again. Microsoft required it inside the application for us to be in the store.
6. And see 3 again.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.
(2016-12-31, 18:52)natethomas Wrote: 2. This question is actually answered in the policy under "When do we share your information." The short answer is no, we are not selling user info, nor would we be able to, since we have so little of it.
What's the long answer? Under "When do we share your information with others", the 'Privacy Policy' says, "If our organizational structure or status changes (if we undergo a restructuring, are acquired, or go bankrupt) we may pass your information to a successor or affiliate."

I interpret this as the XBMC Foundation and/or Team Kodi may profit by transferring personal information to a successor and/or affiliate.

Also, I think it's interesting this thread about Kodi shutting down was posted today.
(2016-12-31, 18:52)natethomas Wrote: 3. Your guess is as good as ours. When we submitted Kodi to the Microsoft store, they required a privacy policy.
The 'Windows Store' policy (I found) indicates, "If your app accesses, collects or transmits personal information" ... "you must maintain a privacy policy."

The Kodi 'Privacy Policy' defines "personal information" as "For us, “personal information” means information which identifies you, like your name or email address."

Are the add-ons shipped with Kodi transmitting names and/or email addresses? What personal information do the add-ons transmit?
(2016-12-31, 19:36)fiveup Wrote: Also, I think it's interesting this thread about Kodi shutting down was posted today.

Why would you think this is interesting? I'm gonna assume you didn't read the thread.
(2016-12-31, 19:36)fiveup Wrote: Also, I think it's interesting this thread about Kodi shutting down was posted today.

1-It was posted 2 days ago and not today

2-You should read the thread instead of just assuming what you want by just reading the title

For what I did not quote from your post:

- kodi team will not make money with your data BUT if someone become the new owner of the kodi foundation then he will also have your data (it's the same as in all company)

- addons from kodi repo do not transmit data BUT it may not be the same with "dodgy" addons like those made to view pirated content (but that has nothing to do with kodi in this case). BTW kodi app and addons probably have zero data (except maybe "dodgy" addons that could grab data on your computer) and privacy policy probably talk about data from kodi forum and kodi site
Moanbag is in da place!
(2016-12-31, 19:36)fiveup Wrote:
(2016-12-31, 18:52)natethomas Wrote: 2. This question is actually answered in the policy under "When do we share your information." The short answer is no, we are not selling user info, nor would we be able to, since we have so little of it.
What's the long answer? Under "When do we share your information with others", the 'Privacy Policy' says, "If our organizational structure or status changes (if we undergo a restructuring, are acquired, or go bankrupt) we may pass your information to a successor or affiliate."

I interpret this as the XBMC Foundation and/or Team Kodi may profit by transferring personal information to a successor and/or affiliate.

Also, I think it's interesting this thread about Kodi shutting down was posted today.
(2016-12-31, 18:52)natethomas Wrote: 3. Your guess is as good as ours. When we submitted Kodi to the Microsoft store, they required a privacy policy.
The 'Windows Store' policy (I found) indicates, "If your app accesses, collects or transmits personal information" ... "you must maintain a privacy policy."

The Kodi 'Privacy Policy' defines "personal information" as "For us, “personal information” means information which identifies you, like your name or email address."

Are the add-ons shipped with Kodi transmitting names and/or email addresses? What personal information do the add-ons transmit?

The long answer is the one in the policy. And your interpretation is incorrect. The XBMC Foundation does not have the ability to transfer assets upon dissolution to a for-profit organization. We are required by our by-laws to transfer everything to another non-profit. Beyond the fact that we gather virtually no info, so there's no value in the info we do gather, the info we gather must be transferred to a nonprofit.

The thread you posted was based on a Day of the Innocents article (similar to an April Fools article). You are doing an odd amount research in some areas and not in others, if you were able to find the Windows Store policy, but couldn't make it all the way to the 20th post in that forum thread.

Kodi, the application, often accesses personal information. There are a wide variety of add-ons that require you to enter a username, email address, and/or password to log into various features. This is more than enough to meet the Windows Store policy. You are, of course, welcome to check the code on github, but none of those addons transmit any of that information to us, and if they did, we would absolutely have mentioned them in our privacy policy.

On a more personal note, I should let you know that I'm willing to humor these questions for a while, but the fact that you spent enough time researching to find the Windows Store policy, but not enough time reading to get to post 20 in a single thread on our forum suggests to me that you may be trolling or otherwise attempting to attack the team, rather than rationally attempting to learn or gather information about our privacy policy. I am willing to spend time educating those interested in finding out why we do the things we do. I am not interested in wasting my time defending against the misconceptions of those predisposed to thinking ill of us. If I get the sense that you are the latter, I will close this thread and give you a lovely few days ban extremely quickly. It's New Years, and I just don't find fighting against trolls to be all that enjoyable.
hooray, bulkzooi is back! :-)
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Oh no Sad - kodi forum - the place to find the strangest people...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
"I interpret this as the XBMC Foundation and/or Team Kodi may profit..".
I'd call it just that. Your interpretation. To me, that doesn't say much. Or maybe it does.
I find it strange that a new member would spend his/her first posts being antagonistic and asking loaded questions. What is it you really want to know?
How to sue us and make money from it maybe?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Privacy Policy0